Andy Eng

Default CD & Hard drives underwater?

Hello All,

We had to pull out in sort of a hurry -- Wasn't able to retrieve and
pack *everything*. I guess I could probably google this up but thought
I'd ask...

Is there any experience/knowledge out there with CD/DVD's and hard
drives that's sat under salt water for say 2-3 weeks? I've reckoned
that everything else is replaceable but curious about those two forms
of media.

Simply thought I'd ask here first.

Andy

This doesn't fully answer your question, but may offer hope. I was
hired to remove a server from a burnt building to recover data. One
external hard drive was fully submerged, the other heavily soaked. I
unscrewed the boards and let them dry about a day. Both worked
perfectly. We of course immediately transferred the data to another
drive.

Worst case, i would suggest that your data on the platters will be
fine. Your electronics on the board may not fair so well from the
salt. If they fail, look on ebay for an identical drive. Swap the
electronics onto your old drive.

Hope this helps.
Danny

Lorin David Schultz

"Chevdo" wrote:

I have no experience with that but I would imagine the CDs and DVDs
would be fine and the hard drives would be destroyed.

So obviously you have taken them apart and tested them yourself?

You completely crap on someone with expertise, experience and first-hand
knowledge of the subjects about which he writes, yet you spew pure
conjecture with no supporting data whatsoever and figure that's useful.
Look up the definition of the work "ironic."

Someday you're going to grow up (probably, our society has done a pretty
good job of suppressing the effects of natural selection), look back on
this stuff, and be really embarrassed. Questioning conventional wisdom
is a good thing, but try doing it intelligently, as opposed to the way
you're doing it now. g

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

Scott Dorsey

"Chevdo" wrote:

I have no experience with that but I would imagine the CDs and DVDs
would be fine and the hard drives would be destroyed.

Possibly, possibly not. The problem with salt water is that it is very
corrosive, so your goal is to get the stuff out of the salt water and
flushed out with clean water as quickly as possible.

CDs might be fine, but if the lacquer starts to peel and salt water gets
to the aluminizer layer, they will be destroyed very quickly.

Hard drives depend on how well the HDA is sealed. If the HDA venting
doesn't let water inside, you're okay and at worst you'll have to replace
the electronics. If you flush everything well with fresh water to get
the salt out, you may even be able to use the existing electronics. If
salt water gets inside the HDA, however, it's a goner.

Dunno about floppies or Zip disks, but again I'd give them a complete
flush with fresh water, then with distilled water to keep any salt or
dissolved material from winding up on them.

Tim Martin

"Chel van Gennip" wrote in message

Even if there is salt water in the drive ...

Well, I guess it's best to ask a hard disk designer, but I'd have thought it
is even more impossible for water to get inside a disk drive than it is for
it to get inside, say, a can of beer.

It's a hermetically sealed container ... probably one of the most watertight
containers you're likely to have in your house. You don't even have to wait
to avoid condensation when taking them from a warm environment to a cold
environment - the water vapour in the air can't get in.

If water *vapour* can't get in, liquid water can't.

Just wash the salt water off with clean water, leave the disk to dry out,
and try it.

Tim

Mark

Tim Martin wrote:
"Chel van Gennip" wrote in message

Even if there is salt water in the drive ...

Well, I guess it's best to ask a hard disk designer, but I'd have thought it
is even more impossible for water to get inside a disk drive than it is for
it to get inside, say, a can of beer.

It's a hermetically sealed container ... probably one of the most watertight
containers you're likely to have in your house. You don't even have to wait
to avoid condensation when taking them from a warm environment to a cold
environment - the water vapour in the air can't get in.

If water *vapour* can't get in, liquid water can't.

Just wash the salt water off with clean water, leave the disk to dry out,
and try it.

Tim

I thought most HD had a small vent to equalize the air pressure inside
and out. The vent is sometimes partially sealed and it may stop liquid
water from getting in, or it may not. I'd clean the external
electronics with water before applying power, as has been mentioned,
and if you can find the vent perhaps open it and perhaps apply a vacuum
to remove any moisture that may have made its way inside.

Mark

Scott Dorsey

Tim Martin wrote:

"Chel van Gennip" wrote in message

Even if there is salt water in the drive ...

Well, I guess it's best to ask a hard disk designer, but I'd have thought it
is even more impossible for water to get inside a disk drive than it is for
it to get inside, say, a can of beer.

It's a hermetically sealed container ... probably one of the most watertight
containers you're likely to have in your house. You don't even have to wait
to avoid condensation when taking them from a warm environment to a cold
environment - the water vapour in the air can't get in.

Some drives are sealed. Some vent to outside air, with filters. Some are
mostly sealed, but have little pinholes to allow pressure to equalize.

Which of these is the case for any particular drive determines how screwed
you are going to be.

Richard Crowley

"Tim Martin" wrote...
Well, I guess it's best to ask a hard disk designer, but I'd have
thought it
is even more impossible for water to get inside a disk drive than it
is for
it to get inside, say, a can of beer.

It's a hermetically sealed container ... probably one of the most
watertight
containers you're likely to have in your house.

Most of mine have (filtered) pinhole openings to equalize atmospheric
pressure. Many of them actually have wording on the label pointing to
the hole and warning to NOT cover it.

You might get lucky and end up with one that does not have water
infiltration, but I wouldn't bet MY data on it.

Pooh Bear

Tim Martin wrote:

"Chel van Gennip" wrote in message

Even if there is salt water in the drive ...

Well, I guess it's best to ask a hard disk designer, but I'd have thought it
is even more impossible for water to get inside a disk drive than it is for
it to get inside, say, a can of beer.

It's a hermetically sealed container ... probably one of the most watertight
containers you're likely to have in your house. You don't even have to wait
to avoid condensation when taking them from a warm environment to a cold
environment - the water vapour in the air can't get in.

If water *vapour* can't get in, liquid water can't.

Just wash the salt water off with clean water, leave the disk to dry out,
and try it.

It's not sealed at all.

Pressure equalisation is required. There's a tiny filtered vent.

It's possible not much water will get through though.

Best to take the drive to a data recovery service first rather than trash it. Be
prepared to pay a lot of money for their service though.

Graham

Pooh Bear

Chel van Gennip wrote:

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 11:49:46 +0200, Pooh Bear wrote:
Tim Martin wrote:

"Chel van Gennip" wrote in message

Even if there is salt water in the drive ...

It's a hermetically sealed container ... probably one of the most
watertight containers you're likely to have in your house.

It's not sealed at all.

Pressure equalisation is required. There's a tiny filtered vent.

It's possible not much water will get through though.

Best to take the drive to a data recovery service first rather than
trash it. Be prepared to pay a lot of money for their service though.

I realised it has been some time since I opened a drive. I have an old
10GB Maxor drive dated apr2000. So I looked inside. The drive is
hermetically sealed, except for one singe ventilation hole. Behind this
vent there is an airfilter of about 2 cm3 with a carbon filter, maybe
moistabsorbing and a fine dust filter. Although it may survive some water,
it is not designed to survive your situation: a period of extremely low
air presure followed by several feet of salt water for weeks and high air
presure. The drive I inspected would most certainly got some water in.
About 10 vol% of water is quite possible. Water in the drive will stay in
the drive.

Best advice is indeed a data recovery service!

If you want to do it yourself, I think you will have to inspect the
inside, remove the water and do some cleaning (e.g. with isopropyl
alcohol). In the drive I inspected I could see the vent hole under the
circuit board at the side of the connectors. Underneath the circuitboard
there also was a sticker to seal an inspection hole. If you remove this
sticker and see any trace of water, you need to open the disk compartment
remove the water and clean the inside. Again: a data recovery service
knows how to do this with minimal risk.

If there is no trace of water behind the inspection sticker, you might try
to close the inspection hole, clean and reassemble the circuit board and
save your data aon a new drive.

All of the above should really be done in a clean room of course !

Any dust particles that get in can crash the head.

Graham

Joe Kesselman

There are companies that specialize in recovering data from abused hard
drives. Not cheap, but depending on the value of your data this may be
worth consdering.
geek

I've had great luck with these guys. Don't let the "jobs usually cost" price
throw you off. I've found them extremely reasonable for standard recovery
jobs.

www.1stdatarecovery.com

Mike.

--

mikerekka at hotmail dot com hates spam

Tim Martin wrote:

[...]

Pooh Bear

Chel van Gennip wrote:

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 16:57:19 +0200, Pooh Bear wrote:

[...]

As clean/dustfree as possible. Protect against dust from hair and cloth. A
real clean room might be a problem there now. The drive I examined had a
dustfilter that catches dust from the rotating air in the enclosure.
Again: a data recovery service is better equiped for the job! The data is
not lost by the flooding I think, but might easely get lost during
recovery.

I recall reading that a smoke particle's diameter is 10x the typical head to
platter distance ( fly height ) on todays' drives !

This really isn't a DIY job.

Graham

Richard Crowley

"Pooh Bear" wrote ...
Chel van Gennip wrote:
As clean/dustfree as possible. Protect against dust from hair and
cloth. A
real clean room might be a problem there now. The drive I examined
had a
dustfilter that catches dust from the rotating air in the enclosure.
Again: a data recovery service is better equiped for the job! The
data is
not lost by the flooding I think, but might easely get lost during
recovery.

I recall reading that a smoke particle's diameter is 10x the typical
head to
platter distance ( fly height ) on todays' drives !

This really isn't a DIY job.

AMEN BROTHER!

You might just as well throw it in the trash as to open it
(unless you're just curious to see what is inside before
you trash it.)

This is why we make backups. (And keep them in zip-lock
plastic bags)

hank alrich

Chevdo wrote:

Yes, that's what I was thinking, however hard drives are well-sealed.

You are directly contradicting those here who have openened drives who
are telling you there are internalexternal pressure equalization ports
in most hard drives.

So into which hard drives have you looked and found no such openings?

--
ha
hank alrich

Chevdo wrote:

What part of 'I have no experience with that' do you not understand?
Unlike your disgraced hero, I state that I don't have experience before my
opinion, if I don't.

The part where you give advice based on the air between your ears. As
for thinking somebody's hero is disgraced, you are now obviously a
non****ing nitwit troll with nothing to contribute here so far.

You also appear to lack the facilty that allows humans to learn.

What's to like?

--
ha

I was working at NASA in the early 90's. We had these 40MB Quantum
brand hard drives that were known for their motor dying. We had at
least a hundred of these in our division. When they died, we learned
we could take off the top of the drive and spin the platters manually.
The dieing motors would keep them spinning long enough to back up the
data. Another brand drive was famous for having its step motor die.
The manufacturer suggested that we take the rear of a screwdriver and
bang on the drive just above the location of the step motor. It worked
every time. We started to get a reputation as the base "go to" guys to
retreive data from dead hard drives.

Unfortunately, none of these techniques are very useful with today's
drives.

Danny

hank alrich

Chevdo wrote:

no I am not. Hard drives are well-sealed. They are not completely sealed.
Please comprehend more effectively.

Either something is _sealed_ or something is not sealed, and if there
are pressure equalization ports the device is not sealed. This is a
pretty simple concept. So much for comprehension.

--
ha
Steve King

"hank alrich" wrote in message
. ..
Chevdo wrote:

no I am not. Hard drives are well-sealed. They are not completely
sealed.
Please comprehend more effectively.

Either something is _sealed_ or something is not sealed, and if there
are pressure equalization ports the device is not sealed. This is a
pretty simple concept. So much for comprehension.

--
ha

Not wishing to get involved but unable to restrain myself, may I point out
that steering compasses for boats and aircraft are sealed (the fluid inside
doesn't leak out) but do have flexible diaphragms, sometimes very small,
made of rubber and even aluminum to equalized internal and external
pressures.

Steve King

Bob Cain

hank alrich wrote:
Chevdo wrote:

no I am not. Hard drives are well-sealed. They are not completely sealed.
Please comprehend more effectively.

Either something is _sealed_ or something is not sealed, and if there
are pressure equalization ports the device is not sealed. This is a
pretty simple concept. So much for comprehension.

I don't know if they do or not but those pressure
equalization ports could easily have bellows on the inside
so as to remain sealed. They would if I was doing the
design just in case they were ever submerged. :-)

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Richard Crowley

"Bob Cain" wrote...
I don't know if they do or not but those pressure
equalization ports could easily have bellows on the inside
so as to remain sealed. They would if I was doing the
design just in case they were ever submerged. :-)

Yes, they *could*. But if you've ever taken a few apart,
you would know that they *don't*.
Richard Crowley

"Chevdo" wrote ...
... I like being wrong nearly as much as I like being right, ...

I confess. I was wrong. I rescind my previous nomination, and
nominate THIS as the most remarkable posting of the month.

Oh, and I can re-plonk you just as fast as you can change
aliases. Hope you can get it together someday.
Lorin David Schultz

"Chevdo" wrote:

What part of 'I have no experience with that' do you not understand?

The part where you WRITE A REPLY ANYWAY. Those with an ounce of common
sense default to a "STFU" condition on subjects about which they know
nothing.

Of course, in your case that would mean you may not ever get to
contribute at all...

(BTW, there's a difference between hero worship and respect. I'm not
surprised that the difference is difficult for you to divine though,
since it seems so unlikely that you've ever enjoyed the latter, given
your insistence upon and propensity for being the consummate dumb****.)

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

Bob Cain

Richard Crowley wrote:
"Bob Cain" wrote...

I don't know if they do or not but those pressure equalization ports
could easily have bellows on the inside so as to remain sealed. They
would if I was doing the design just in case they were ever
submerged. :-)

Yes, they *could*. But if you've ever taken a few apart, you would know
that they *don't*.

Hmmm, I thought I said I didn't know. Thanks for the
suggestion anyway. Ida never thunk it.

Love your attitude, BTW.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein

Richard Crowley

"Bob Cain" wrote ...
Love your attitude, BTW.

I apologize. I didn't mean it as a personal remark,
but I should have written it differently.
Bob Cain

Richard Crowley wrote:
"Bob Cain" wrote ...

Love your attitude, BTW.

I apologize. I didn't mean it as a personal remark,
but I should have written it differently.

No sweat. I was overtired and that makes my skin thinner.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Gary Sokolich

Bob Cain wrote in
:

snip...snip

Love your attitude, BTW.
Bob

In light of your documented posting record, you are hardly in a credible
position to comment on so-called "attitude," you f...ing hypocrite.

Seems like there is lots of advice here but no experience! The vent on
hard drives is typically a sintered plug designed to act as a
microfilter to keep dust etc. out. It probably will also keep water out
for a while though it isn't a certainty. Most drives are not
hermeticially sealed. Sometimes there is a sticker over the vent which
will help seal the disk for a while.

As Scott notes salt water is very corrosive and your biggest problem is
usually the interface between air and water. If the disks are totally
under water of totally above water there will be a much greater chance
they won't be damaged. At the water-air interface corrosion will tend
to be rapid. Proper form for recovery would be to take ONE disk. Loosen
the circuit board and spray it with Dow "scrubbing bubbles" bathroom
cleaner.Tak a SOFT brush and lightly scrub the board. Rinse very
throughly under running warm water and finally rinse under distilled
water. Get some of those photo duster cans and carefully try to blow
all the water out from under parts etc. Put it aside and let it dry
for at least a couple of days. When dry look the board over at the
water line for hideous corrosion. If you see no serious damage you can
give it a try with the disk.

The disk itself should be rinsed with clear tap water (but not under
high pressure which could force water into the sintered plug). Then
rinse the outside with distilled water. Crud on the outside of the
housing makes little difference so long as the connectors are well
cleaned. Always blow out the water from the connectors before rinsing
with distilled water and then blow them out again!

If the first hard disk does not recover after this, it probably means
water got through the filter and the disk is now a goner. The other
disks you didn't try will have to be sent to a recovery place for
recovery in that event. Expect it to be expensive! If you think that
the problem may be the electronic board, you can get a good identical
drive and swap the working board from that unit. (Set all jumpers etc
to match your board.)

As Scott said CDs/DVDs probably will be OK, but again beware of the
air-salt water interface. If the disks have the metal layer sealed with
epoxy or other lable you stand a good chance they will be fine. I have
totally recovered commercial CDs that were laying along the road for
months! Recordable CDs are less sturdy. Tapes also can be saved but
require a big deal to do it. Basically you have to totally unwind them
in distilled water to clean them and then hang them up to dry (not
spooled). Once dry you can respool them or put them in to a new
cartridge housing.

There are cleaning machines that dry tapes after they are cleaned so
you can spool them immediately. Note that Huge amounts of tape can be
safely stored for drying in a large CLEAN box or on a CLEAN floor by
just winding it into a huge pile. But DO NOT disturb the pile before
rewinding back on to the spool or all will be lost!

For most floods I'd be pretty confident you'd get everything back, but
in this case it is the length of time under (salt) water that make me
worry that all may be lost. Sorry. Still a recovery attempt would be
worth the effort.

Benj

Lorin David Schultz

"Chevdo" wrote:

Really, well few of the people who have offered their opinion on this
subject have had actual experience retrieving data from hard-drives
and CDs that have been submerged in salt-water for 2 weeks.

True, but most made well-reasoned arguments based on some understanding
of the mechanics and/or chemistry involved. You threw out a blind guess
with nothing to support it. Kind of like your completely erroneous
statement about sampling rate and waveform resolution.

You're a special case, whoever you are. You desperately want to be
considered an expert, but your blatant refusal to do the legwork
required to actually be one, combined with your attempts to discredit
those who have because they threaten your self-image, make you flash
brightly on the ridicule radar. If this was the Air Force, you'd be a
bogey. Since it isn't, you're just a booger.

You're flailing around in the deep end of the stupid pool. You keep
grasping at imaginary concepts to support yourself, but they don't float
so you just keep getting in deeper. In the meantime, you continue
taking swings at anyone who tries to save you from drowning.
Unfortunately your panic at discovering the weakness of your position is
causing you to spray **** all over the place. That's unpleasant for
everyone else who uses the pool, so I'm just throwing rocks at you in
the hope that you'll go down soon.

Of course, you could just learn to swim and everyone would get along
fine, but you don't seem interested in doing that.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

Chevdo

Trolling attempt noted, but otherwise ignored.

In article BI7_e.193193$wr.186486@clgrps12, says...

"Chevdo" wrote:

[...]

More on hard disk drives TJ Hertz Pro Audio 7 September 8th 05 12:38 PM
punk'd by too many FX [email protected] Pro Audio 10 July 19th 05 03:49 PM
FYI - hard drives in the car MZ Car Audio 2 June 7th 05 04:27 PM
Hard Panning issue H. Schaap Pro Audio 3 May 22nd 05 01:23 PM
Maxtor 250 GB drives - are they a bad idea? Robert Morein Marketplace 16 July 22nd 04 06:13 PM