MZ

Default FYI - hard drives in the car

Thought this might be interesting to some folks looking into car computers,
modded xbox's, etc for the car.

I've had my current car computer for about year. I didn't install a hard
drive shock absorber. I performed a "thorough" scandisk today on the
drive - no bad sectors.

In other words, I don't think the warnings about vibration are as serious as
they imply.

Chad Wahls

"MZ" wrote in message
Thought this might be interesting to some folks looking into car
computers, modded xbox's, etc for the car.

I've had my current car computer for about year. I didn't install a hard
drive shock absorber. I performed a "thorough" scandisk today on the
drive - no bad sectors.

In other words, I don't think the warnings about vibration are as serious
as they imply.

Ruggedized computers such as the go books and tough books use minimal hard
drive protection, albeit more than a sissy laptop. My "racktop" that I
toured with as a recording rig was a rackmount computer that went cross
country a few times in a standard non-shockmount road case. No shockmount
for the drives either. This thing handled the roughest of trips in a semi
trailer and handling by union crew who would never see it again. No
problems

I beat the living hell out of my go book and the drive is perfect, just a
standard drive.

By the meaning of "beat the hell" I let it sit open through a tornado, lid
up, while I was buisy running for cover at an outdoor event. I came back to
find it laying on the stage (fallen 5') and travelled about 10' laterally
with a 100+ Lb console cover laying on top of it. It never crashed or shut
down. I picked it up dumped the water off and contunued without restarting

Chad

Spike

It may be too much warning, however, like many things, it doesn't hurt
to add protection, and it helps the economy when you buy those extras.
: )

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 19:28:47 -0400, "MZ"
wrote:

Thought this might be interesting to some folks looking into car computers,
modded xbox's, etc for the car.

I've had my current car computer for about year. I didn't install a hard
drive shock absorber. I performed a "thorough" scandisk today on the
drive - no bad sectors.

In other words, I don't think the warnings about vibration are as serious as
they imply.

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16

Hard Panning issue H. Schaap Pro Audio 3 May 22nd 05 01:23 PM
Maxtor 250 GB drives - are they a bad idea? Robert Morein Marketplace 16 July 22nd 04 06:13 PM
Firewire drives for Pro Tools...... Garrett Cox Pro Audio 0 May 7th 04 01:53 AM
Installing second hard drive Darrell Klein Pro Audio 31 October 30th 03 01:46 PM
DAW & Windows XP RAID Tips, ProTools error -9086 Giganews Pro Audio 0 October 24th 03 06:45 AM