frank

Default Question for Output Transformer Gurus

Hi to all,

I made a diy opt and i think there is something wrong with the design.

Please have a look at:

http://www.8ung.at/triode/

for explanation and photo.

Thank you very much,

frank
doug

"frank" wrote in message
om...
Hi to all,

I made a diy opt and i think there is something wrong with the design.

Please have a look at:

http://www.8ung.at/triode/

Cant get that website to work

Doug

for explanation and photo.

Thank you very much,

frank

Yves Monmagnon

Hi Frank

You don't tell about gap but I suppose that you complain about poor hi
frequency response ?
(What do you mean by dark and thick ?)
At a first estimation, leakage inductance is quite hi (estimated roughly at
20mH for a core of similar size).
So, -3dB point fall around 20Khz.
This seems in accordance with the squarewaves photos.
Splitting the primary in 4 sections and the secondary in 5's could shift
the -3dB point up to say 50Khz.
This suggestion is based on results from a tool I've wrote and you can try
if your are not Windoze allergic.
Take a look at http://geek.scorpiorising.ca/
As usual, the results are "believed to be accurate". No more !
I'm not a guru, this is a free consultation ;-)
If this may help .......... Yves.

"frank" wrote in message
om...
Hi to all,

I made a diy opt and i think there is something wrong with the design.

Please have a look at:

http://www.8ung.at/triode/

for explanation and photo.

Thank you very much,

frank

Tim Williams

"frank" wrote in message
om...
I made a diy opt and i think there is something wrong with the design.

http://www.8ung.at/triode/

Looks good to me. Throw a zobel across the primary or secondary to damp the
little bit of oscillations and it should be perfect.

Guessing from the readout, am I correct that there is a rise in the HF
response around 50 to 100kHz?

Tim

--
"That's for the courts to decide." - Homer Simpson

Patrick Turner

frank wrote:

Hi to all,

I made a diy opt and i think there is something wrong with the design.

Please have a look at:

http://www.8ung.at/triode/

for explanation and photo.

Thank you very much,

frank

I cannot get the images, they won't appear on my screen.

I am unable to provide you with a "dark and thick" sounding recipe for
OPT,
all the ones supplied in my amps just convey hi-fi .

Patrick Turner.

Ross Matheson

Patrick Turner noted:

: frank wrote:
:
: Hi to all,
:
: I made a diy opt and i think there is something wrong with the design.
:
: Please have a look at:
:
: http://www.8ung.at/triode/
:
: for explanation and photo.
:
: Thank you very much,
:
: frank
:
: I cannot get the images, they won't appear on my screen.

They are just very slow to load. I think it is the server. WWWait.
They're 4 gifs at around 270KB each so a MB to load the page.
Essentially photos; they might have been better compressed as jpgs.
Peter Völpel

frank wrote:

I made a diy opt and i think there is something wrong with the design.

Please have a look at:

http://www.8ung.at/triode/

for explanation and photo.

Thank you very much,

Hi Frank,

the calculation for the coresize is wrong,
with fu=10Hz the core should measure Afe=22,36cm²

in amplifiers without nfb, B should not be higher then 4000 Gauss,
with nfb 6kG is fine

I also would agree to put a zobel across the winding

regards

Peter
Patrick Turner

Ross Matheson wrote:

Patrick Turner noted:

: frank wrote:
:
: Hi to all,
:
: I made a diy opt and i think there is something wrong with the design.
:
: Please have a look at:
:
: http://www.8ung.at/triode/
:
: for explanation and photo.
:
: Thank you very much,
:
: frank
:
: I cannot get the images, they won't appear on my screen.

They are just very slow to load. I think it is the server. WWWait.
They're 4 gifs at around 270KB each so a MB to load the page.
Essentially photos; they might have been better compressed as jpgs.

The site comes up, with squares for the pics, with a broken jpg symbol.
Something is wrong with how they are posted.

Patrick Turner.

John Byrns

In article , Patrick Turner
wrote:

Ross Matheson wrote:

Patrick Turner noted:

: frank wrote:
:
: Hi to all,
:
: I made a diy opt and i think there is something wrong with the design.
:
: Please have a look at:
:
: http://www.8ung.at/triode/
:
: for explanation and photo.
:
: Thank you very much,
:
: frank
:
: I cannot get the images, they won't appear on my screen.

They are just very slow to load. I think it is the server. WWWait.
They're 4 gifs at around 270KB each so a MB to load the page.
Essentially photos; they might have been better compressed as jpgs.

The site comes up, with squares for the pics, with a broken jpg symbol.
Something is wrong with how they are posted.

The problem probably is that the "html" for the site has embedded spaces
in the file names for the "gif" files, some browsers don't like file names
with spaces for some reason I don't pretend to understand. It didn't work
for me either, but after editing the html, I was able to pull up the page
with the pictures.

Regards,

John Byrns

Surf my web pages at, http://users.rcn.com/jbyrns/