Ed

Default Dumb output transformer question

My beloved tube mic preamp's output transformer bit the dust.
Fortunately, a while back, out of curiosity, I did some measurements
on the transformer. It had a turns ratio of around 6 : 1 with a
spec'ed output impedance of 600 ohms.

Here's the deal, I have a transformer which is identical except that
it has a turns ratio of 12 : 1 with a split primary config.

Can I use only half of the primary(and leave the other half
unconnected) to attain a 6:1 ratio?

Second question: What would happen if I put the primary halves in
parallel?

The output transformer is capacitor coupled so there is no DC in the
primary.

Thanks

Ed

Phil Allison

"Ed"

My beloved tube mic preamp's output transformer bit the dust.
Fortunately, a while back, out of curiosity, I did some measurements
on the transformer. It had a turns ratio of around 6 : 1 with a
spec'ed output impedance of 600 ohms.

Here's the deal, I have a transformer which is identical except that
it has a turns ratio of 12 : 1 with a split primary config.

Can I use only half of the primary(and leave the other half
unconnected) to attain a 6:1 ratio?

** Yes.

Second question: What would happen if I put the primary halves in
parallel?

** Ok if you get the halves "in phase" - if there are not four wires on
the primary forget it.

.......... Phil

Phil Allison

"Ed" wrote in message
My beloved tube mic preamp's output transformer bit the dust.
Fortunately, a while back, out of curiosity, I did some measurements
on the transformer. It had a turns ratio of around 6 : 1 with a
spec'ed output impedance of 600 ohms.

Here's the deal, I have a transformer which is identical except that
it has a turns ratio of 12 : 1 with a split primary config.

Can I use only half of the primary(and leave the other half
unconnected) to attain a 6:1 ratio?

** Yes.

Second question: What would happen if I put the primary halves in
parallel?

** OK as long as you get the halves in phase - that means four wires
must be available for the primary.

It doesn't change the ratio though.