Jack Dotson

Default Near Field Monitors??

If you had $500 or less to spend on a pair of near filed monitors to be used
as computer speakers and for a small home recording studio, what would be
your choice.

Thanks

Arny Krueger

"Jack Dotson" wrote in message

If you had $500 or less to spend on a pair of near filed monitors to
be used as computer speakers and for a small home recording studio,
what would be your choice.

Probably Behringer B2031.

Kurt Albershardt

Jack Dotson wrote:
If you had $500 or less to spend on a pair of near filed monitors to be used
as computer speakers and for a small home recording studio, what would be
your choice.

A decent pair of used HiFi speakers and an Adcom GFA-535 amplifier.

More likely, I'd save my money for a little bit and buy a pair of Genelec 8030A's.

How about used or new NS-10's
kevin

reddred

wrote in message
oups.com...
How about used or new NS-10's
kevin

New relative to what, a redwood tree?

jb

Mike T.

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 02:51:14 GMT, "Jack Dotson"
wrote:

If you had $500 or less to spend on a pair of near filed monitors to be used
as computer speakers and for a small home recording studio, what would be
your choice.

Yorkville YSM1, about $420/pair
YSM1p, powered, $510/pair

I've got both, and I like them.

Mike T.
TimPerry

"Jack Dotson" wrote in message
If you had $500 or less to spend on a pair of near filed monitors to be

used
as computer speakers and for a small home recording studio, what would be
your choice.

Thanks

just a little more Tannoy Reveal actives

just a little less Tannoy Reveal passive

Marc

Hi Mike,
I was wondering what amp you use to power your yorkville ysm1 monitors?
I was considering getting a pair. There's a pair at my local pawn shop for
$170
I own a jvc ax4 class A intergrated amplifier has 60W per channel.
Can I use this amp to power them or would you recommend something else?

Thanks,
Paul

wrote:

If you had $500 or less to spend on a pair of near filed monitors to be

used
as computer speakers and for a small home recording studio, what would be
your choice.

Yorkville YSM1, about $420/pair
YSM1p, powered, $510/pair

I've got both, and I like them.

Mike T.

Dave Gerhart

Jack --

You ideally want something that is biamped or triamped (meaning that there
is a separate power supply for the woofer and the tweeter.) Genelecs
1031A's and the Mackie HR824's are really nice, but not really in the price
range you mentioned. I would look at the Event TR-8's (tuned reference
series). They are biamped and have outstanding low frequency response for a
nearfield, and they run just over $500 for the pair.

Dave Gerhart
MorningStar Studios
www.morningstarstudios.com

"Jack Dotson" wrote in message
If you had $500 or less to spend on a pair of near filed monitors to be
used as computer speakers and for a small home recording studio, what
would be your choice.

Thanks

Scott Dorsey

wrote:

If you had $500 or less to spend on a pair of near filed monitors to be used
as computer speakers and for a small home recording studio, what would be
your choice.

Yorkville YSM1, about $420/pair
YSM1p, powered, $510/pair

I've got both, and I like them.

I'd second the recommendation for the Yorkville. But you might find
a pair of the Tannoy Reveals used in that range.

Also the usual recommendations of used Paradigm Mini Mk III and NHT
Super One speakers, with an amp.

WillStG

Jack Dotson wrote:
If you had $500 or less to spend on a pair of near filed monitors to

be used
as computer speakers and for a small home recording studio, what

would be
your choice.

I would look online for a pair of Tannoy Active Reveals, which are
Bi-amped powered speakers. I have seen them being blown out for as
little as $550-600, and there isn't much that beats that for accuracy
and value. The passive Reveals are around $325 maybe if you have a good
amp already. They are much more honest than the hyped color you get
from the KRK's, Mackies, Events, and other typical cheap monitor lines
at your price point, and the passive Reveals easily outperform speakers
that cost twice as much IMO.

YMMV.

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Staff Audio / Fox News / M-AES

Edwin Hurwitz

In article .com,
"WillStG" wrote:

Jack Dotson wrote:
[...]

For the most part, I would agree, except that when I got a pair of JBL
LSR25Ps (I got them because they were real cheap. the seller thought
they were busted, but it only took me 15 minutes to fix 'em) I found
that my mixes started to translate a lot better. I found that the
passive Reveals were a little shy in the mids and were a lot more
sensitive to room issues. I know my room needs work, but somehow the
JBLs seems to be a lot more forgiving of those issues. It's much easier
to judge eq with them in the vocal range.

Just my 02c.

Edwin
PS the Reveals were powered by a McIntosh 2105.

WillStG

Edwin Hurwitz wrote:

"WillStG" wrote:
[...]

That your mixes on the Reveals come back with too much midrange on
other systems I do find a bit surprising. You know most Tannoys have
notches in the midrange to some degree or another, the PBM 6.5's
severely so and the Coaxial System series in various sizes also
obviously so. The Reveals are the least notched at the crossover
point of all the various Tannoy Far/mid/near fields I have ever used,
and they reflect I think an attempt at designing honest speakers ( I
use the Coaxial System 8's and 15's at work , I also have 3 PBM 8
powered limpets and a couple of passive Reveals as well as a pair of
Quested 2205's at my Project Studio.)

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Staff Audio / Fox News / M-AES

Edwin Hurwitz

In article .com,
"WillStG" wrote:

Edwin Hurwitz wrote:

"WillStG" wrote:
[...]

What do you use to power your passive Reveals?

TIA
Edwin
WillStG

Edwin Hurwitz wrote:
What do you use to power your passive Reveals?

Currently a Hafler Pro 2400. I have also used the Reveals for a
while with my ancient Fisher amp in the living room for listening to
records, CD's and Movies, but I haven't been tempted to boost the
midrange on them really. I have just reassigned the Reveals to my
Studio as rear Surrounds though, with the 3 powered PBM 8 DMT II's as
LCR, and the Quested 2205's as my main stereo nearfields.

BTW, I generally listen to tracks at around 80db, which in TV mixing
is kinda loud but for a lot of music mixing that could be considered
somewhat a conservative level. But it's right in the middle of the
Fletcher Munson curve so it should help with tonal balance, and OSHA
does say you can safely work for 16 hours at that noise level and not
damage your hearing... g

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Staff Audio / Fox News / M-AES