Jason Saadeh

Default How do you guys feel about Kenwood HU's

Specifically recent models that have the flip down face such as the
KDC-322/422/522.

I am interested in them because my 93 Altima has the 6 speakers system
with factory supplied amps and they supposedly some kind of built in
gain control (is this true?). I guess the idea is I don't want to blow
the speakers (Alpines) by just slightly increasing the volume.

I was hoping to avoid spending 50 bucks on the adaptor and invest that
money in a deck. It's my wife's car so I'm not looking for Alpine
quality reproduction, but how do the Kenwoods compare to Pioneer HU's at
the same price?

Jason

My Kenwood MP919 HUH rocks, as did my 400 something before it. I plan on
continuing to buy Kenwood. Only problem I ever had was the cable to the
face plate wore out (its a MASK) and I had to get a new one. But thats
after 2 years of use.

"Jason Saadeh" wrote in message
Specifically recent models that have the flip down face such as the
KDC-322/422/522.

I am interested in them because my 93 Altima has the 6 speakers system
with factory supplied amps and they supposedly some kind of built in
gain control (is this true?). I guess the idea is I don't want to blow
the speakers (Alpines) by just slightly increasing the volume.

I was hoping to avoid spending 50 bucks on the adaptor and invest that
money in a deck. It's my wife's car so I'm not looking for Alpine
quality reproduction, but how do the Kenwoods compare to Pioneer HU's at
the same price?

Captain Howdy

I don't like anything Pioneer with a cd unit. Their older crap skipped like
hell, not sure about their new stuff. I had a lowend Kenwood Hu that sounded
good and never skipped even in cold weather. I did replace the Kenwood with a
Bluapunkt and found that the Bluepoint sounded better then the Kenwood.

In article , Jason Saadeh
wrote:
Specifically recent models that have the flip down face such as the
KDC-322/422/522.

I am interested in them because my 93 Altima has the 6 speakers system
with factory supplied amps and they supposedly some kind of built in
gain control (is this true?). I guess the idea is I don't want to blow
the speakers (Alpines) by just slightly increasing the volume.

I was hoping to avoid spending 50 bucks on the adaptor and invest that
money in a deck. It's my wife's car so I'm not looking for Alpine
quality reproduction, but how do the Kenwoods compare to Pioneer HU's at
the same price?

Paul Vina

I've never had a skipping problem with any Pioneer HUs. I had a 740MP in my
Jetta with H&R Race springs, Bilstein Sport struts, 17s with 40 series tires
and I have to drive on a ****TY ass road to get onto base and it never
skipped.

Paul Vina

wrote:
Specifically recent models that have the flip down face such as the
KDC-322/422/522.

I am interested in them because my 93 Altima has the 6 speakers system
with factory supplied amps and they supposedly some kind of built in
gain control (is this true?). I guess the idea is I don't want to blow
the speakers (Alpines) by just slightly increasing the volume.

I was hoping to avoid spending 50 bucks on the adaptor and invest that
money in a deck. It's my wife's car so I'm not looking for Alpine
quality reproduction, but how do the Kenwoods compare to Pioneer HU's at
the same price?

sancho

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
I've never had a skipping problem with any Pioneer HUs. I had a 740MP in

my
Jetta with H&R Race springs, Bilstein Sport struts, 17s with 40 series

tires
and I have to drive on a ****TY ass road to get onto base and it never
skipped.

"As most people do about most comapnies. If he had a bad experience with a
company why would he come back to it?"

how's that? just as irrelevant as the first time you posted it, eh?
--
sancho
irony

Paul Vina

how's that? just as irrelevant as the first time you posted it, eh?

Not quite, ass. I wasn't saying his experience was invalid, I was offering
mine as another point of view. I never said "you're wrong, Pioneer is the
best in the world. You must have used their older crap stuff" as you did.

Paul Vina

Steve Grauman

I never bothered looking to deep into Kenwood's product, even the Excelon
lineup. I hate the way they look, and I'd heard horror stories of their
products. This is hardly definitive, and doesn't neccesarily mean that all
Kenwood product is crap, but it did a good job of keeping me away from the
stuff. Besides, Blaupunkt, Pioneer, Alpine, and Eclipse all offer a solid
product, with a long reputation of quality and each of the companies sells in a
myrid of price ranges. I never saw any reason to consider anything made by any
other company, with the exception of Nakamichi, whose decks produce great sound
at the cost of reliability.
Ivan Lopez

I had an older Kenwood HU, circa early to mid 90's (KDC-5001) and used it
for many years. Recently blew the dust off of it and installed it in a
friend's car becasue she wanted a CD player instead of the junk factory Ford
tape deck that broke on her. This deck is going on ~10 years and still
looks and works as good as the day I bought it.

"Jason Saadeh" wrote in message
Specifically recent models that have the flip down face such as the
KDC-322/422/522.

I am interested in them because my 93 Altima has the 6 speakers system
with factory supplied amps and they supposedly some kind of built in
gain control (is this true?). I guess the idea is I don't want to blow
the speakers (Alpines) by just slightly increasing the volume.

I was hoping to avoid spending 50 bucks on the adaptor and invest that
money in a deck. It's my wife's car so I'm not looking for Alpine
quality reproduction, but how do the Kenwoods compare to Pioneer HU's at
the same price?

---

Captain Howdy

Had a Pioneer Cd changer that skipped like mad in a firebird, replaced it with
an alpine and it never skipped once, 2 year after that a friend bought a
Pioneer indash hu shipped like mad also. Mind you this is going back about 10
years now.

In article qJ9Ab.440667$Fm2.437863@attbi_s04, "Paul Vina"
wrote:
I've never had a skipping problem with any Pioneer HUs. I had a 740MP in my
Jetta with H&R Race springs, Bilstein Sport struts, 17s with 40 series tires
and I have to drive on a ****TY ass road to get onto base and it never
skipped.

Captain Howdy

You're right, I will never buy a Pioneer Hu or changer again.

"As most people do about most comapnies. If he had a bad experience with a
company why would he come back to it?"

how's that? just as irrelevant as the first time you posted it, eh?

Captain Howdy

I truly can't say anything bad about kenwood. The one and only Kenwood hu that
I had worked fine, I'm still using it to bench test amplifiers. I did hear
that kenwood's first mp3 hu had heat problems. I have always liked Alpine and
Blaupunkt just as long as I don't have to power my subs with their amplifiers.
Sony gear, car or home I can't stand. Sony trash seems to die for stupid
reasons. I still have a sony hu sitting here that will not change volume even
after replacing the faceplate and faceplate connector on the hu, seems that
one of the IC's freaked out, everything else works.

In article ,
(Steve Grauman) wrote:
I never bothered looking to deep into Kenwood's product, even the Excelon
lineup. I hate the way they look, and I'd heard horror stories of their
products. This is hardly definitive, and doesn't neccesarily mean that all
Kenwood product is crap, but it did a good job of keeping me away from the
stuff. Besides, Blaupunkt, Pioneer, Alpine, and Eclipse all offer a solid
product, with a long reputation of quality and each of the companies sells in a
myrid of price ranges. I never saw any reason to consider anything made by any
other company, with the exception of Nakamichi, whose decks produce great sound
at the cost of reliability.

Mike O'Malley

"Jason Saadeh" wrote in message
Specifically recent models that have the flip down face such as the
KDC-322/422/522.

Just installed a 4022 a few weeks ago (can't really tell the diff. between
that and the 422...). Like it so far. Paid an extra $50 for the sattelite
antenna, and they give you the tuner for free. Now THAT I love.

Don't know about built in gain control, but they have the owners manuals on
their website in PDF format, you could get a good idea of the features on
there.

--
Mike O'Malley

AZSPL

I have been with Panasonic since 1997 and we have used and abused those head
units and have had no problems with them.

As you all know, products are a matter of individual taste, preference, and
budget.

Alma Gates
WWW.TeamGates.org
sancho

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
how's that? just as irrelevant as the first time you posted it, eh?

Not quite, ass. I wasn't saying his experience was invalid, I was

offering
mine as another point of view. I never said "you're wrong, Pioneer is the
best in the world. You must have used their older crap stuff" as you did.

as who did?

not me...

mebbe you should pay more attention...
--
sancho

thelizman

"Jason Saadeh" wrote in message

Same way I feel about women. First, I hold them in my
hands, and feed them some bull**** about how special
and beautiful they are. Then I grap their knobs and
tweak them, and finally a little smack on the back
side...

--
Lizard
Unlike women, Kenwoods don't slap you.
Chris

I had a Kenwood Excelon Series HU and it was great..in performance.....but
it was crap in terms of reliability. The faceplate ribbon cable broke
twice, and had one laser replacement...plus the trim around the HU broke
after one week.....and there was no abuse at all.

I bought a Pioneer MP3 deck and it works great! No problems and absolutly
no skips no matter how bumpy the road. Same features as well!

Happy HU hunting

Chris

Kenwood MP3 Deck Sundeep Singh Car Audio 2 December 20th 03 04:30 PM
Kenwood CD Changer Enable for AUX inputs???? Bogus? Car Audio 2 December 1st 03 04:06 AM
Kenwood KAC-1020 Frank Car Audio 0 October 11th 03 05:47 PM
Kenwood KVT-910DVD vs. Kenwood KVT-911DVD navigation concord Car Audio 1 July 3rd 03 03:05 PM
Kenwood KDC-MP922 dims when applying brake or shifting into reverse Rick Felter Car Audio 0 July 3rd 03 08:17 AM