Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

Default Dynamic mics and noise

Are there any self noise issues to consider when choosing
a dynamic microphone? I could imagine that sensitivity would
be something to consider, in that if one needs to crank the
pre-amp up, the preamp noise would be more prevalent. Other
than that, are dynamic mics as self-noise free as they come?

Thanks,

Tobiah
Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

On Friday, May 24, 2013 10:03:45 AM UTC-5, Tobiah wrote:
Are there any self noise issues to consider when choosing

a dynamic microphone? I could imagine that sensitivity would

be something to consider, in that if one needs to crank the

pre-amp up, the preamp noise would be more prevalent. Other

than that, are dynamic mics as self-noise free as they come?

Nope. they have internal resistance, which will generate Johnson noise and will cause the preamp to generate noise based on the input devices' current noise if they're bipolar transistors.

A good preamp won't add appreciably to the mic's own Johnson noise, so you're on target that the way to maximize signal-to-noise is to look for dynamic mics with higher sensitivities. Consistent with the response you want, of course.

Peace,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Tobiah wrote:
Are there any self noise issues to consider when choosing
a dynamic microphone? I could imagine that sensitivity would
be something to consider, in that if one needs to crank the
pre-amp up, the preamp noise would be more prevalent. Other
than that, are dynamic mics as self-noise free as they come?

No, dynamic mikes tend to be fairly noisy because of the thermal noise
of all of those windings. Add more turns, you get more signal, and you
get a heavier coil that reduces your high frequency response. Make the
wire smaller to reduce the mass, you get higher resistance and more noise.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 5/24/2013 11:03 AM, Tobiah wrote:
Are there any self noise issues to consider when choosing
a dynamic microphone?

Microphone self noise is really only a problem if you're trying to
record something very quiet. Singers at a reasonable distance? No
problem. A fly's footsteps? Problem with any mic.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sat, 25 May 2013 07:24:32 -0400, Mike Rivers
wrote:

On 5/24/2013 11:03 AM, Tobiah wrote:
Are there any self noise issues to consider when choosing
a dynamic microphone?

Microphone self noise is really only a problem if you're trying to
record something very quiet. Singers at a reasonable distance? No
problem. A fly's footsteps? Problem with any mic.

Not a problem if you can persuade the fly to walk on the diaphragm.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

On 5/24/2013 11:03 AM, Tobiah wrote:
Are there any self noise issues to consider when choosing
a dynamic microphone?

Microphone self noise is really only a problem if you're trying to
record something very quiet. Singers at a reasonable distance? No
problem. A fly's footsteps? Problem with any mic.

Not a problem if you can persuade the fly to walk on the diaphragm.

I don't know how valid the equivalent self noise data can be assumed to be,
but based on them a quiet condensermicrophone, like the MKH 406 is some 10
dB less noisy than a MD 421 and a cheap one is about the same as a MD 421
and some electret stage microphones are more noisy than a MD421, based on
testing one I was offered to try and refusing it 20 years ago. And then
there is the "how does the noise sound" issue ...

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Tobiah wrote:

Are there any self noise issues to consider when choosing
a dynamic microphone? I could imagine that sensitivity would
be something to consider, in that if one needs to crank the
pre-amp up, the preamp noise would be more prevalent. Other
than that, are dynamic mics as self-noise free as they come?

Thanks,

Tobiah

Dynamic mics are like all other mics. It's down to what it is and the
shape it's in.

Some have high sensitivity, some have low sensitivity, and many work
well with some preamps and not so well with others.

That said, any good dynamic, one with a solid rep, and a decent pre and
you're good to go.

http://hankandshaidrimusic.com/
http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

"hank alrich" wrote in message
Tobiah wrote:
Dynamic mics are like all other mics. It's down to what it is and the
shape it's in.

Some have high sensitivity, some have low sensitivity, and many work
well with some preamps and not so well with others.

That said, any good dynamic, one with a solid rep, and a decent pre and
you're good to go.

Given the generally low output of dynamic mics compared to condensor/active,
I would think that external noise factors (from cable interference and mic
pre front ends) would totally swamp any self-noise.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 5/27/2013 2:57 AM, geoff wrote:

Given the generally low output of dynamic mics compared to condensor/active,

.. . . . .

Is this still true for today's mics? Used to be (when there weren't so
many mics available) that that for a given SPL, for example, a U-47 put
out about 10 dB more than an RE-15. There are some moderately popular
dynamic mics that have a lower than average sensitivity, such as the
Shure SM7, and the Neumann KM84 is about 10 dB hotter than average. But
when comparing modern condenser mics with common dynamics such as the
Shure SM57, I've found that that the condenser mics seem to be only
about 3 dB hotter than the dynamics.

Some (or maybe all) of this "normalization" seems to have stemmed from
the early days of the "affordable" condenser mics. Early novice users
complained that their new brilliant mic was too hot for their mixer or
preamp, forcing them to commit the unpardonable sin of turning down the
gain. So mic manufacturers adjusted. So did mixer manufacturers, forcing
the next generation of users to commit the other unpardonable sin of
turning the gain up.

You can't win unless you understand and accept gain structure and
recognize that the microphone is part of the system.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote:

Given the generally low output of dynamic mics compared to
condensor/active, I would think that external noise factors (from
cable interference and mic pre front ends) would totally swamp any
self-noise.

Dynamic mics are good at high spl and can then deliver line level output.

geoff

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Tobiah wrote:
Dynamic mics are like all other mics. It's down to what it is and the
shape it's in.

Some have high sensitivity, some have low sensitivity, and many work
well with some preamps and not so well with others.

That said, any good dynamic, one with a solid rep, and a decent pre and
you're good to go.

Given the generally low output of dynamic mics compared to condensor/active,
I would think that external noise factors (from cable interference and mic
pre front ends) would totally swamp any self-noise.

In the real world it often can. But with a modern low-noise preamp when
you're not in crazy conditions with stage dimmers all over the place, you
can easily get to the point where the thermal noise of the coil is the
limiting factor on a 421. With an SM-57, I am not sure if the thermal noise
of the coil or the transformer is dominant but I can tell you it's a lot
higher than that of a 421.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Tobiah wrote:

[...]

You may be seeing the effect of the SM57's inductive reactance, which is quite substantial if the graph published by Ballou is any indication. The rise in impedance created by inductive reactance doesn't create Johnson noise, but if the preamp's input stage uses bipolar transistors, their current noise may make for a worse equivalent input noise when the source impedance is inductive. It's like the difference I see in input noise when I plug a high-inductance phono cartridge like a Stanton into my preamp (which uses a bipolar-input NE-5534a in the front end) instead of a low-inductance cartridge like a Grado.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

PStamler wrote:

You may be seeing the effect of the SM57's inductive reactance, which is qu=
ite substantial if the graph published by Ballou is any indication. The ris=
e in impedance created by inductive reactance doesn't create Johnson noise,=
but if the preamp's input stage uses bipolar transistors, their current no=
ise may make for a worse equivalent input noise when the source impedance i=
s inductive. It's like the difference I see in input noise when I plug a hi=
gh-inductance phono cartridge like a Stanton into my preamp (which uses a b=
ipolar-input NE-5534a in the front end) instead of a low-inductance cartrid=
ge like a Grado.=20

That would make sense... the SM57 is definitely quieter into a transformer
input preamp, which would follow reasonably.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
S. King S. King is offline

On Thu, 30 May 2013 21:06:53 -0400, Ty Ford wrote:

On Fri, 24 May 2013 11:03:45 -0400, Tobiah wrote (in article
):

Are there any self noise issues to consider when choosing a dynamic
microphone? I could imagine that sensitivity would be something to
consider, in that if one needs to crank the pre-amp up, the preamp
noise would be more prevalent. Other than that, are dynamic mics as
self-noise free as they come?

Thanks,

Tobiah

Just had to help a friend with a RE20 and a small cheapish board because
the preamp didn't have enough gain before noise. I lent him an AKG C414.

Not all preamps are created equal.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Expect the same from a Shure Sm7. Small Mackie board preamps (VLZ) are
too noisy, when you turn up the gain pot for these mics. IMO

Steve King
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

"S. King" wrote in message

Expect the same from a Shure Sm7. Small Mackie board preamps (VLZ) are
too noisy, when you turn up the gain pot for these mics. IMO

Dunno is it's just my SM7, but very low output level,especially with voice.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote:

"S. King" wrote in message

Expect the same from a Shure Sm7. Small Mackie board preamps (VLZ)
are too noisy, when you turn up the gain pot for these mics. IMO

Dunno is it's just my SM7, but very low output level,especially with
voice.

It officially needs a preamp with 60 dB gain, my lil' soundcraft does that
beautifully.

geoff

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
S. King S. King is offline

On Sat, 01 Jun 2013 09:09:58 +0100, Peter Larsen wrote:

geoff wrote:

"S. King" wrote in message

Expect the same from a Shure Sm7. Small Mackie board preamps (VLZ)
are too noisy, when you turn up the gain pot for these mics. IMO

Dunno is it's just my SM7, but very low output level,especially with
voice.

It officially needs a preamp with 60 dB gain, my lil' soundcraft does
that beautifully.

geoff

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

When you have the right preamp, it is a great mic. It is thought of as a
radio announcer or narrator mic, but I've used it on baritone sax, cello,
a number of things. It probably wasn't my first choice for those, but
when you get to the back of the mic locker...

Steve King
Posted to rec.audio.pro
LAB LAB is offline

A state of the art mic preamp has an input self noise of about 400nV
(-128dBV), that is the same of a 480 Ohm resistor: en [nV]=18.2 SQR (R).
Adding a 480 Ohm noise to such a preamp, noise increases of 3dB (the double
noise power)

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 6/11/2013 11:02 AM, LAB wrote:
A state of the art mic preamp has an input self noise of about 400nV
(-128dBV), that is the same of a 480 Ohm resistor: en [nV]=18.2 SQR (R).
Adding a 480 Ohm noise to such a preamp, noise increases of 3dB (the
double noise power)

You can't win (that's the First Law of Thermodynamics). Might as well
quit worrying about it and just use the mic.