Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ben Bradley Ben Bradley is offline

Default "Stand By Me" video recorded "all over"

I think RAPpers might enjoy this. This video starts with a solo
singer-guitarist playing on the street, apparently recorded by some
guy with a laptop-based portable rig, but keep watching and listening:
http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=2539741

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] cedriclathan154@gmail.com is offline

On Apr 22, 9:07*pm, Ben Bradley
wrote:
* *I think RAPpers might enjoy this. This video starts with a solo
singer-guitarist playing on the street, apparently recorded by some
guy with a laptop-based portable rig, but keep watching and listening:http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=2539741

That is an amazing recording. One of the best examples of "urban multi-
tracking".
Posted to rec.audio.pro
coreybenson coreybenson is offline

"Ben Bradley" wrote in message
I think RAPpers might enjoy this. This video starts with a solo
singer-guitarist playing on the street, apparently recorded by some
guy with a laptop-based portable rig, but keep watching and listening:
http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=2539741

I've seen this before... it's very well done.

--
Corey Benson

Radio by dogs, for dogs:
http://www.HenryAndBuster.com/

http://www.curbsideproductions.com/

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Marc Wielage[_2_] Marc Wielage[_2_] is offline

There's more than just the one song. A few days ago, I accidentally stumbled
upon the full-length documentary on this "Stand by Me" project -- basically
connecting all the diverse people of the world through music. I know that
might sound kind of contrived and hokey to some people, but I found it to be
a very moving, thought-provoking film, and the filmmakers' intentions are
undeniably noble.

Sound quality is very good under the circumstances, particularly given that
90% of it appears to have been shot with street performers in real-world
exteriors. And the performances are really heartfelt and sincere.

The link is he

http://playingforchange.com

and I see a DVD is available starting this month. With all the negative crap
going on these days, it's great to see such a positive, uplifting message
like this.

--MFW

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Marc Wielage" wrote in message
.com

Sound quality is very good under the circumstances,
particularly given that 90% of it appears to have been
shot with street performers in real-world exteriors. And
the performances are really heartfelt and sincere.

Close miced outdoors where there are very few near reflections.

A light touch of some really good artificial reverb gives a uniform but
seemingly natural sonic perspective.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Marc Wielage wrote:

[...]

What you said. I've not met any piece in the so-called pop world that I
found as moving as I did the Playing For Change _Stand By Me_.

--
ha
shut up and play your guitar
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ben Bradley Ben Bradley is offline

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 07:07:09 -0700, (hank alrich)
wrote:

Marc Wielage wrote:

[...]

My slightly toungue-in-cheeck, slightly cynical inteterpretation is
it shows how far you have to go to find good musicians thesedays.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul P[_3_] Paul P[_3_] is offline

Ben Bradley wrote:

My slightly toungue-in-cheeck, slightly cynical inteterpretation is
it shows how far you have to go to find good musicians thesedays.

I think it shows the opposite, that good musicians are everywhere :-)

Paul P

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve King Steve King is offline

"Paul P" wrote in message
| Ben Bradley wrote:
|
| My slightly toungue-in-cheeck, slightly cynical inteterpretation is
| it shows how far you have to go to find good musicians thesedays.
|
| I think it shows the opposite, that good musicians are everywhere :-)
|
| Paul P

That's my take-away, too.

Steve King

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Apr 26, 4:08 pm, Paul P wrote:

I think it shows the opposite, that good musicians are everywhere :-)

Sort of. I see it as an illustration that if you look for a good
musician, you can find one. But (and this has nothing to do with the
video under discussion) don't expect every musician coming to you
wanting to record to be good.

Nothing particularly radical about either of those statements.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gerry Gerry is offline

On 2009-04-26 18:06:44 -0700, Mike Rivers said:

On Apr 26, 4:08 pm, Paul P wrote:

I think it shows the opposite, that good musicians are everywhere :-)

Sort of. I see it as an illustration that if you look for a good
musician, you can find one. But (and this has nothing to do with the
video under discussion) don't expect every musician coming to you
wanting to record to be good.

Nothing particularly radical about either of those statements.

I think it demonstrates how much more you get out of musicians when the
are working together, despite their distances. 1+1=3.

Audiences? Not as easy to find. If it weren't for YouTube, a very new
distribution system, few would have seen this.
--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[...]

Thanks, Mark! I appreciate the link! I'll be ordering the DVD...

--
Corey Benson

Radio by dogs, for dogs:
http://www.HenryAndBuster.com/

http://www.curbsideproductions.com/

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Sean[_5_] Sean[_5_] is offline

Marc Wielage wrote:
There's more than just the one song. A few days ago, I accidentally stumbled
upon the full-length documentary on this "Stand by Me" project -- basically
connecting all the diverse people of the world through music. I know that
might sound kind of contrived and hokey to some people, but I found it to be
a very moving, thought-provoking film, and the filmmakers' intentions are
undeniably noble.

I didn't find it hokey. But then, I got a bit teary-eyed when I first
watched the silly dancing guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlfKd...eature=related

Sound quality is very good under the circumstances, particularly given that
90% of it appears to have been shot with street performers in real-world
exteriors. And the performances are really heartfelt and sincere.

The link is he

http://playingforchange.com

and I see a DVD is available starting this month. With all the negative crap
going on these days, it's great to see such a positive, uplifting message
like this.

--MFW

Posted to rec.audio.pro
gtr gtr is offline

On 2009-04-27 18:42:37 -0700, Sean said:

Marc Wielage wrote:
There's more than just the one song. A few days ago, I accidentally
stumbled upon the full-length documentary on this "Stand by Me" project
-- basically connecting all the diverse people of the world through
music. I know that might sound kind of contrived and hokey to some
people, but I found it to be a very moving, thought-provoking film, and
the filmmakers' intentions are undeniably noble.

I didn't find it hokey. But then, I got a bit teary-eyed when I first
watched the silly dancing guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlfKd...eature=related

If there were a descending line, we'd all be weeping. That's what most
of these towel-wringers seem to have in common.
--
Thank you and have a nice day.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul P[_3_] Paul P[_3_] is offline

Sean wrote:

I didn't find it hokey. But then, I got a bit teary-eyed when I first
watched the silly dancing guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlfKd...eature=related

That was great. There may be a few ways to unify this planet
after all. Music and dance. Yeah.

And the picture quality was pretty impressive as well.

Paul P