I just am not satisfied

Old September 5th 18, 12:09 PM posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default I just am not satisfied

I just am not satisfied with the sound from any solid state amplifiers.
I have tried high end home amps and even some top of the line amps made
for commercial use. (Stage equipment).

I miss my old tube system that I had years ago. Those tube amps pumped
out 300W (RMS) and had more actual power than my current 1200W (RMS)
solid state system..

Semiconductors are made from sand, and that is what they sound like. I
like the warm sound of the metal elements and the heat of the filament
inside of tubes. Plus I miss watching the dancing purple glow (purple
haze) inside of the tubes. (You dont see anything in solid state amps).

I had no real reason to post this other than state my opinion and get it
off my chest.

Old September 5th 18, 02:21 PM posted to rec.audio.high-end
Dave

Glass tubes are also made of sand, probably why tubes are supposed to have a warm, beachy sound.
Old September 6th 18, 03:27 AM posted to rec.audio.high-end
Ed Presson[_2_]

"Dave" wrote in message ...

>Glass tubes are also made of sand, probably why tubes are supposed to have
>a warm, beachy sound.

If two or three or more decades have passed, it's possible the poster's
hearing has changed.

Old September 6th 18, 11:57 AM posted to rec.audio.high-end
~misfit~[_3_]

Once upon a time on usenet Ed Presson wrote:
> "Dave" wrote in message ...
>
>> Glass tubes are also made of sand, probably why tubes are supposed
>> to have a warm, beachy sound.

> If two or three or more decades have passed, it's possible the
> poster's hearing has changed.

Not to mention the nostalgia factor and the huge wattage he's using having
an effect on hearing.

I guess I'm also guilty of feeding a troll....
--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Old September 6th 18, 04:54 PM posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Wieck[_2_]

On Wednesday, September 5, 2018 at 7:09:04 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> I just am not satisfied with the sound from any solid state amplifiers.
> I have tried high end home amps and even some top of the line amps made
> for commercial use. (Stage equipment).
>
> I miss my old tube system that I had years ago. Those tube amps pumped
> out 300W (RMS) and had more actual power than my current 1200W (RMS)
> solid state system..
>
> Semiconductors are made from sand, and that is what they sound like. I
> like the warm sound of the metal elements and the heat of the filament
> inside of tubes. Plus I miss watching the dancing purple glow (purple
> haze) inside of the tubes. (You dont see anything in solid state amps).
>
> I had no real reason to post this other than state my opinion and get it
> off my chest.

Ummmmm... brand of tube amp that made 200 watts? That would be 6 x KT88/6550 per channel. More on this later.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old September 6th 18, 07:52 PM posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Wieck[_2_]

On Wednesday, September 5, 2018 at 7:09:04 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> I just am not satisfied with the sound from any solid state amplifiers.
> I have tried high end home amps and even some top of the line amps made
> for commercial use. (Stage equipment).

If you are using a Class D amp, they are utterly merciless when it comes to bad signal or poor speakers. And, they have a few additional issues, none of which are insurmountable.

Tube amps clip softly, and in some cases 'mold' the music to sound less edgy. In fact, they are _REMOVING_ or _ALTERING_ signal thereby.

Meaning that you may be hearing stuff for the first time with your SS amp - and what you are hearing may not be what you like. But, that does not change the fact that it is there.

Then, of course, there are the speakers. I keep Maggie MGIIIas with the outboard crossovers. My 75 wpc/rms tube amp is very nearly useless driving them, but my 225 wpc/rms SS amp does quite nicely.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old September 6th 18, 09:15 PM posted to rec.audio.high-end

On 6 Sep 2018 02:27:51 GMT, "Ed Presson" > wrote:

>"Dave" wrote in message ...
>
>>Glass tubes are also made of sand, probably why tubes are supposed to have
>>a warm, beachy sound.

>If two or three or more decades have passed, it's possible the poster's
>hearing has changed.

My hearing is fine. (Cant say that for my eyesite though).
If I am close to a stage at a rock concert, I can easily tell which
guitar amps are tube, without even seeing the amp.

The SHELL part of a glass tube is made from sand, but the shell is not
the active part of the electronics inside of it. It's just a container
and what holds the vacuum around the metal elements.