Posted to rec.audio.tech
Searcher7 Searcher7 is offline

Default Stereo Speakers with My Computer

I have a SONY LBT-D250 Stereo system and the model number of the
speakers is SS-D255, and according to Belarc my multimedia info is as
follows:

Intel(r) 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller
Logitech Microphone (PTZ)
MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device
Standard Game Port

I'd like to be able switch between my stereo and PC using the same set
of speakers and would appreciated feedback on whether or not this is
plausible.

I'd appreciate info on present set-ups(sound cards & speakers) and any
recommedations on what I'd need.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Searcher7" wrote in ...
I have a SONY LBT-D250 Stereo system and the model
number of the speakers is SS-D255, and according to Belarc
my multimedia info is as follows:

Intel(r) 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller
Logitech Microphone (PTZ)
MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device
Standard Game Port

I'd like to be able switch between my stereo and PC using
the same set of speakers and would appreciated feedback
on whether or not this is plausible.

I'd appreciate info on present set-ups(sound cards & speakers)
and any recommedations on what I'd need.

Assuming you have an unused stereo line-level input
remaining on your stereo system, it should take nothing
more than an inexpensive cable to connect between the
line output of the comptuer (likely a lime-green jack)
and one of the inputs on the back of your stereo.

You likely need a 3.5mm stereo mini-phone plug on
the computer end, and two (left & right) RCA plugs
on the stereo end. If you pay more than $5 for
something like this, you are being ripped off.

Then to listen to your computer, you would switch
the source of yoru stereo to the input you used.
It is a simple process and thousands of people do
this kind of thing all the time.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave Dave is offline

"Searcher7" wrote in message
I have a SONY LBT-D250 Stereo system and the model number of the
speakers is SS-D255, and according to Belarc my multimedia info is as
follows:

Intel(r) 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller
Logitech Microphone (PTZ)
MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device
Standard Game Port

I'd like to be able switch between my stereo and PC using the same set
of speakers and would appreciated feedback on whether or not this is
plausible.

Aaaaaggghhh, if only you'd spent the $8 more and got the model LBT-D251
stereo then you could do it easily, but the LBT-D250 cannot without an
expensive aftermarket converter. I'd sell you mine, but they've been out of
production for some time and command quite a high price these days.

No one listens to their computer music through their stereo, it's jut not
possible. Audio signal in your computer speakers is completely different
than the audio signal in your stereo speakers. You can see the difference
if you look closely at the speakers themselves. The stereo speakers have
some round plastic or paper driver cones, two input wires labelled + and -,
whereas your computer speakers... what the ????... they're THE SAME, MORON.

Next time before you ask a question which has been asked 10 FRIGGIN MILLION
TIMES just in this newsgroup alone, why don't you try spending 1 minute
doing a google search instead of wasting someone's time who otherwise might
be dispensing valuable advice NOT readily ascertainable by a TRAINED MONKEY?

I typed "play computer through stereo" and got 299,000+ hits, the first one
entitled "How can I play the music on my computer through my stereo?"

People in this group are very generous with their knowledge, but posts like
yours just show that you're either too lazy to put the slightest effort into
solving your own problem.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Feb 18, 6:48*pm, "Dave" wrote:
"Searcher7" wrote in message

[...]

Hey Dick -um, I mean Dave.

First, I put "Stereo speakers" + "computer" in this newsgroup's search
field. And got back 90 hits and went all the way to the end of them
before I posted my question, which you were obviously to stupid to
understand.

Yes, I read about the need for shielded speakers, or to keep them far
from the monitor. I read about needng am amplifier to power the
speakers, due to the conventional sound card's power limitations. And
I read about a few other things.

But I didn't ask if it was possible to hear audio from my PC through
my stereo system.

I asked about switching between(as in back and forth) my stereo and
computer.(I'm trying to find a way to do this without unplugging and
plugging in wires whenever I want to hear audio from a different
device, and I was hoping that perhaps some had done it before).

I actually would like this option of using only a single speaker set
to listen to audio from TV stereo, computer, ect., but wanted to keep
the question simple.

I listed my particular hardware because I didn't know if by chance
something might have to be changed due to limits.

Nevertheless, before you put you foot in your mouth again, re-read
what I wrote. You've done nothing but prove how ignorant you are.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Searcher7 wrote:
On Feb 18, 6:48 pm, "Dave" wrote:
"Searcher7" wrote in message

[...]

While I'll agree that Dave could have been nicer.....

What is the difference between listening to 'audio from [your] pc
through [your] stereo system', and listening to your pc through your
stereo speakers? Why would you do anything but hook up the sound card
output to your stereo input and be done with it? There would be no
wires to change, no equipment to add except for one connecting cable.
Once it was attached, all you would have to do the switch the 'speakers'
from 'whatever' (tape, cd, dvd, fm etc) source and your pc would be a
simple flip of the switch.

If you don't actually have an unused input on the stereo, that could be
a problem. Depends on the stereo.

jak

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave Dave is offline

Nevertheless, before you put you foot in your mouth again, re-read
what I wrote. You've done nothing but prove how ignorant you are.

Actually, I am not ignorant, nor are you. What you are is lazy. Your
grammar suggests a level of education which SHOULD allow you to use your
BRAIN to figure simple **** like this out. Do you think only people who
have completed a two-year diploma in "hooking PC's up to stereos" run into
situations such as yours? Fer Chrissakes, if the world depended on people
like you for technical innovation we'd all still have dirt floors in our
caves.

Do you have to hook up wires every time you switch from your CD player to
the radio on your stereo? No? How can that be? Actually the real question
is: how can that be any differnt than what you propose to do? How,
exactly, is a soundcard's output any different than a tuner, a phonograph, a
cd/dvd player, an ipod, a microphone, or a radiotelescope pointed at Uranus?

If you want to be real flashy and wireless-like, you can buy a product which
communicates via TCP/IP over a wireless network called a SqueezeBox (brand
name, there are others). If you've got a wireless network in your home, you
just attach this little box to one of your stereo's unused inputs and your
PC can beam music to it wirelessly... it displays the same info as satellite
radio, song, band, time remaining/elapsed, etc. on a nifty blue display.
There's one coming out that's made by BlackBerry which uses bluetooth so you
don't even need the wireless network, just a bluetooth-enabled
PC/laptop/digital music device. It's tiny, something like 2" x 2".

USE.

YOUR.

BRAIN.

Dave

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Feb 19, 12:00*am, jakdedert wrote:
Searcher7wrote:
On Feb 18, 6:48 pm, "Dave" wrote:
"Searcher7" wrote in message

[...]

jak- Hide quoted text -

I asked for present hardware set ups for a reason. What I want may not
be possible with what I have.

I listed the hardware I have because the stereo only has phono inputs
which I read are for low level signals only and will overload severely
and can damage the unit if I plug in anything but a turntable with a
magnetic phono cartidge.(If there is a work around I'd appreciate it.
If not, then I guess there is nothing I can do).

And to clarify what I want to be able to do. I want to have the option
of switching back and forth between listening to audio from my pc and
audio from my stereo sytem.(without having to pull my computer desk
and stereo system out from the wall to unplug and plug a cable several
times a day).

Richard said that "it is a simple process and thousands of people do
this kind of thing all the time". Well, it would be nice to find the
particulars of one of those people so I can at least get an idea.

I know I'd need some sort of switch box, but again, what I want may
not be plausible with what I have at the moment.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Feb 22, 6:43*pm, "Dave" wrote:
[...]

Now I see. You must be the resident troll. You've contributed nothing
in this thread, and in fact you obviously don't even have a full grasp
on what I'm trying to do, but you continue with the insults as if they
overshadow your inability to comprehend.

I really know little about stereos and audio, but I'm far more
intelligent than you can imagine.

But even I can't dumb this down far enough for you.

So all I can say is read my last post. That's the best I can do.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Searcher7" wrote ...
I listed the hardware I have because the stereo only
has phono inputs

It would have been extraordinarily helpful for you to have
mentioned that up-front. Yes, we frequently ask for make
and model numbers. But in your case, you have an inexpensive,
plastic, mass-market, stereo system for which there isn't much
information available on the internet to do this kind of research.

which I read are for low level signals only and will
overload severely and can damage the unit if I plug
in anything but a turntable with a magnetic phono
cartidge.

Overload, yes. Damage, no.

(If there is a work around I'd appreciate it.
If not, then I guess there is nothing I can do).

Yes there is a common workaround. It is called an
inverse-RIAA. Here is one as a $19 kit...
http://www.hagtech.com/iriaa.html
There are likely others around. Or you can make
your own for ~$5 of parts.

Richard said that "it is a simple process and thousands
of people do this kind of thing all the time". Well, it would
be nice to find the particulars of one of those people so
I can at least get an idea.

It is a simple process. Thousands of people do it all the
time. Dunno why anybody is making a Federal Case out
of it? I'm baffled by the intrigue.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Searcher7 wrote:
snip
[...]

No, you didn't list the hardware that you have, beyond a very generic
non-description of 'stereo system' and pc...and speakers. If you would
do so, it would simplify things considerably.

That said, no, you don't want to plug your computer into a phono input.
It's unlikely to cause any damage, but it's gonna sound like puke.
There are workarounds, but they're somewhat complex. You'd need to both
reduce (pad) the output from the pc, and reverse the RIAA equalization
that is a part of every phono input. That can all be done with a
passive filter and pad, but--AFAIK--there's no 'out of the box' solution
for this, although it would be almost trivial to build if you had the
skills.

And to clarify what I want to be able to do. I want to have the option
of switching back and forth between listening to audio from my pc and
audio from my stereo sytem.(without having to pull my computer desk
and stereo system out from the wall to unplug and plug a cable several
times a day).

What you are describing (adding amplifier, etc), is almost akin to
building a new 'stereo system', except for the speakers. The only
difference is that the system you propose building only has one input
source; your computer.

Why don't you specifically list the equipment that you have, so that
someone can give you more accurate advice?

Richard said that "it is a simple process and thousands of people do
this kind of thing all the time". Well, it would be nice to find the
particulars of one of those people so I can at least get an idea.

I know I'd need some sort of switch box, but again, what I want may
not be plausible with what I have at the moment.

I'm resistant to the idea of switching the speakers. If you describe
your stereo system, there might be an option. For instance, is it a
'one box' system, or does it have multiple sources attached to a
receiver or amplifier? If the latter, that's where you would want to do
the switching: between one of those sources and your pc.

*********************

Another option is to use an Ipod RF modulator at the computer output.
You could then simply tune it in on your FM radio. These are common,
cheap, have the correct connector (and gain) for your pc, and are
wireless to boot.

Here's one (among many). This one plugs into a USB port for power,
which might be a little easier to deal with than the ones made strictly
for mobile use.
http://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/shop/detail.asp?dpno=193851&Redir=1&description=Griffin-RocketFM%20-%20USB%20FM%20Transmitter%20for%20Desktop%20Comput ers-MP3%20Players%20&%20Accessories

If you've truly no inputs on your stereo--do have FM--and the distance
from computer to stereo is not an issue; that might be your best and
easiest solution. Plug the modulator into your soundcard line-out, plug
in power, tune your radio and listen to your pc...bada bing--boom--done.

jak

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave Dave is offline

"Searcher7" wrote in message
On Feb 22, 6:43 pm, "Dave" wrote:
[...]

Yes, obviously it's my fault I didn't use my crystal ball to ascertain that
your "stereo" only has phono inputs. How stupid of me. And insulting.
Sorry about that. I'll work on it.

I really know little about stereos and audio, but I'm far more
intelligent than you can imagine.

Ya, sure you are. You keep thinking that while you struggle to gain a most
basic understanding of a technology (transfer of analog signals) which has
existed virtually unchanged since 1930 or so. Music source -- wire --
amplifier.

But even I can't dumb this down far enough for you.

Just send me a crystal ball, then you won't have to.

So all I can say is read my last post. That's the best I can do.

Yes, I read it. It contains information key to understanding your
situation, which you failed to include in your original post. You asked a
question about a very specific situation, but couched your question in the
most generic terms. Why is this? Is it a) laziness or b) stupidity? It's
got to be one or the other, doesn't it?

Enlighten me, O Wise One.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Searcher7 Searcher7 is offline

On Feb 24, 7:27*pm, "Richard Crowley" wrote:
"Searcher7" *wrote ...

I listed the hardware I have because the stereo only
has phono inputs

It would have been extraordinarily helpful for you to have
mentioned that up-front. Yes, we frequently ask for make
and model numbers. But in your case, you have an inexpensive,
plastic, mass-market, stereo system for which there isn't much
information available on the internet to do this kind of research.

Thanks. I didn't know that.

which I read are for low level signals only and will
overload severely and can damage the unit if I plug
in anything but a turntable with a magnetic phono
cartidge.

Overload, yes. Damage, no.

(If there is a work around I'd appreciate it.
If not, then I guess there is nothing I can do).

Yes there is a common workaround. It is called an
inverse-RIAA. Here is one as a $19 kit...http://www.hagtech.com/iriaa.html
There are likely others around. Or you can make
your own for ~$5 of parts.

I guess this is something else I'm totally unfamiliar with.

Richard said that "it is a simple process and thousands
of people do this kind of thing all the time". Well, it would
be nice to find the particulars of one of those people so
I can at least get an idea.

It is a simple process. Thousands of people do it all the
time. Dunno why anybody is making a Federal Case out
of it? I'm baffled by the intrigue.

Well if you find a website by one of those thousands of people who
have done exactly what I would like to do, please let me know. :-)

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Searcher7 Searcher7 is offline

On Feb 24, 8:16 pm, jakdedert wrote:
Searcher7wrote:

snip

[...]

Well outside of the model number which I already gave, here is a
pictu http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=200193299768

That said, no, you don't want to plug your computer into a phono input.
It's unlikely to cause any damage, but it's gonna sound like puke.
There are workarounds, but they're somewhat complex. You'd need to both
reduce (pad) the output from the pc, and reverse the RIAA equalization
that is a part of every phono input. That can all be done with a
passive filter and pad, but--AFAIK--there's no 'out of the box' solution
for this, although it would be almost trivial to build if you had the
skills.

Yup. If I had the skills...

And to clarify what I want to be able to do. I want to have the option
of switching back and forth between listening to audio from my pc and
audio from my stereo sytem.(without having to pull my computer desk
and stereo system out from the wall to unplug and plug a cable several
times a day).

What you are describing (adding amplifier, etc), is almost akin to
building a new 'stereo system', except for the speakers. The only
difference is that the system you propose building only has one input
source; your computer.

?!? I thought what I said sounded like switching between audio outputs.
(Nothing is ever simple).

Why don't you specifically list the equipment that you have, so that
someone can give you more accurate advice?

Well, if someone would tell me what more there is to list, I'd be glad
to.

Richard said that "it is a simple process and thousands of people do
this kind of thing all the time". Well, it would be nice to find the
particulars of one of those people so I can at least get an idea.

I know I'd need some sort of switch box, but again, what I want may
not be plausible with what I have at the moment.

I'm resistant to the idea of switching the speakers. If you describe
your stereo system, there might be an option. For instance, is it a
'one box' system, or does it have multiple sources attached to a
receiver or amplifier? If the latter, that's where you would want to do
the switching: between one of those sources and your pc.

I'll take a wild guess and say that this is a "one box system" with
two speakers.

*********************

Another option is to use an Ipod RF modulator at the computer output.
You could then simply tune it in on your FM radio. These are common,
cheap, have the correct connector (and gain) for your pc, and are
wireless to boot.

That sounds like greek to me.

Here's one (among many). This one plugs into a USB port for power,
which might be a little easier to deal with than the ones made strictly
for mobile use.
http://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/shop/detail.asp?dpno=193851&Redir=1&desc...

If you've truly no inputs on your stereo--do have FM--and the distance
from computer to stereo is not an issue; that might be your best and
easiest solution. Plug the modulator into your soundcard line-out, plug
in power, tune your radio and listen to your pc...bada bing--boom--done.

All this will entail more studying than I can afford right now, so
I'll have to put it on the back burner for now.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Feb 25, 11:12*am, "Dave" wrote:
"Searcher7" wrote in message

On Feb 22, 6:43 pm, "Dave" wrote:

[...]

You should. When I posted the question about whether or not waht I
wanted was plausible I asked for info on present set-ups and hardware
for a reason. The reason being that what I have might not cut it.

That means if I had found someone who had documented exactly what
hardware they used, I could have determined for myself what I would
need to get/use, even if that included a completely different stereo
system. In that vain it is irrelevant that my present stereo only has
phono inputs.

I really know little about stereos and audio, but I'm far more
intelligent than you can imagine.

Ya, sure you are. You keep thinking that while you struggle to gain a most
basic understanding of a technology (transfer of analog signals) which has
existed virtually unchanged since 1930 or so. Music source -- wire --
amplifier.

And what does that have to do with my question? I see you still
struggle to understand that this was simply about switching between
different audio outputs.

But even I can't dumb this down far enough for you.

Just send me a crystal ball, then you won't have to.

How about a helmet to shield you from those cosmic rays those pesky
Martians beam into your head?

So all I can say is read my last post. That's the best I can do.

Yes, I read it. It contains information key to understanding your
situation, which you failed to include in your original post. You asked a
question about a very specific situation, but couched your question in the
most generic terms. Why is this? Is it a) laziness or b) stupidity? It's
got to be one or the other, doesn't it?

You are still not making any sense. The question was simple. And your
first response proved that you didn't understand it because you
attacked me over something I did not ask about. When I pointed this
out you began looking for other things to take issue with. Now in your
case I know it is not laziness. It is stupidity.

Enlighten me, O Wise One.- Hide quoted text -

You have been enlightened.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Searcher7" wrote ...
"Richard Crowley" wrote:
It is a simple process. Thousands of people do it all the
time. Dunno why anybody is making a Federal Case out
of it? I'm baffled by the intrigue.

Well if you find a website by one of those thousands of
people who have done exactly what I would like to do,
please let me know. :-)

Now you're just being silly. There's probably even a
website or two that tells you how to tie your shoes.
But I've been tying them for many years now and
I'm not inclined to waste my time looking for such
common info for others. Good luck.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Searcher7 Searcher7 is offline

On Feb 28, 9:45*am, "Richard Crowley" wrote:
"Searcher7" wrote ...

"Richard Crowley" *wrote:
It is a simple process. Thousands of people do it all the
time. Dunno why anybody is making a Federal Case out
of it? *I'm baffled by the intrigue.

Well if you find a website by one of those thousands of
people who have done exactly what I would like to do,
please let me know. :-)

Now you're just being silly. *There's probably even a
website or two that tells you how to tie your shoes.
But I've been tying them for many years now and
I'm not inclined to waste my time looking for such
common info for others. *Good luck.

No I'm not being silly. It was a legitimate request.

As I said, I know little about these things. You said the info was
common, so as I stated before I assumed that someone would have
documented the exact hardware they used to accomplish this, and put
different combinations of "audio switcher", computer, and "stereo
speakers" in the Google search and gave up after about an hour.

My point is if this is that common, then someone would have posted a
link and all the crap in this thread would have been unnecessary.

Thanks anyway.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave Dave is offline

"Searcher7" wrote in message

No I'm not being silly. It was a legitimate request.

Hmm, several people have tried to help you, and you're still pretty sure
THEY are the problem...

My point is if this is that common, then someone would have posted a
link and all the crap in this thread would have been unnecessary.

Wiping your ass is common too, but there aren't a lot of explicit websites
with directions, instructional videos, and parts lists showing exactly how
it's done. Figure it out. This thread IS unnecessary, because what you
want to do is so goddamn simple. People keep making polite suggestions to
guide you in your quest for enlightenment, and you keep telling them in a
whiny tone "It's just too HARD, I can't DO it, do it FOR me."

As has been pointed out, there are lots of people who give freely of their
time and expertise, but you've got to show that you're not a stupid lazy
moron who can't figure out how to wipe his ass when the toilet paper is
placed in his hand.

If you honestly are that dumb and can't figure out how to connect up a
simple series of wires and switches, then go hire somebody who can and be
done with it.

Thanks anyway.

Don't mention it.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Mar 5, 4:34*pm, "Dave" wrote:
"Searcher7" wrote in message

[...]

Just when I thought you could be a bigger jackass you raise the bar.
We can go back and forth forever on this if you want.

I came here seeking advice from people a lot more intelligent and
mature than you, and you've turned this into a ****ing match.

I asked for specifics on hardware used for a project that "Thousands
of people" do all the time.(This group is a resource used for things
like that). You weren't intelligent enough to understand what I wanted
when you first responded with an attack. And when I pointed this out,
you attack again with the "go find it yourself attitude" and insults.

Of course there are the resident assholes like you that pop up on
occasion, but that comes with the territory. You represent the usual
"no social skills", small dick punk who would never be so bold in
person. You must have really gotten your ass kicked a lot while
growing up, and now a computer keyboard serves as your sword and
shield.

This is your way of getting back at the world for your shortcomings,
huh?

Feel sorry for you? No.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Codifus Codifus is offline

On Feb 18, 7:48 pm, "Dave" wrote:
"Searcher7" wrote in message

[...]

Someone didn't have their wheaties this morning . .LOL

CD