Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eric P.

Default What are the best audio engineering trade publications?

Hello,

As a student of audio engineering, and working toward a degree
in commercial music with a recording concentration, I'd like to
know which periodical magazines people in the industry find most
valuable and worth collecting, or at least keeping an eye on for
good information that we can use to improve our craft. My interest
is in the broader spectrum of studio-oriented recordings of all sorts,
not only for bands/ensembles, though my hope is to do a good
deal of that kind of recording in my professional life. Any and all
feedback (no pun intended!) will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric P.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Jens Rodrigo

Eric P. wrote
As a student of audio engineering, and working toward a degree
in commercial music with a recording concentration, I'd like to
know which periodical magazines people in the industry find most
valuable and worth collecting, or at least keeping an eye on for
good information that we can use to improve our craft. My interest
is in the broader spectrum of studio-oriented recordings of all sorts,
not only for bands/ensembles, though my hope is to do a good
deal of that kind of recording in my professional life. Any and all
feedback (no pun intended!) will be greatly appreciated.

Strange. You study audio engineering and your school does not
have the best audio engineering trade publications for reading?
Impossible.

Cheers

Jens

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Pooh Bear

Jens Rodrigo wrote:

Eric P. wrote
As a student of audio engineering, and working toward a degree
in commercial music with a recording concentration, I'd like to
know which periodical magazines people in the industry find most
valuable and worth collecting, or at least keeping an eye on for
good information that we can use to improve our craft. My interest
is in the broader spectrum of studio-oriented recordings of all sorts,
not only for bands/ensembles, though my hope is to do a good
deal of that kind of recording in my professional life. Any and all
feedback (no pun intended!) will be greatly appreciated.

Strange. You study audio engineering and your school does not
have the best audio engineering trade publications for reading?
Impossible.

I was puzzled by that too. It would help if the OP indicated what sort of
articles he's looking for.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger

"Eric P." wrote in message

As a student of audio engineering, and working toward a
degree
in commercial music with a recording concentration, I'd
like to
know which periodical magazines people in the industry
find most valuable and worth collecting, or at least
keeping an eye on for
good information that we can use to improve our craft.

What's on your professors' office desks?

When you visit a shop that does the kind of work you want to do, what do
they read there?

When you search Google based on keywords that interest you right now, what
comes up?

I think I know some answers, but this answer to you is along the lines of
"Give a hungry man a fishing pole, not just a fish".

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eric P.

In article ,
"Jens Rodrigo" wrote:

Eric P. wrote
As a student of audio engineering, and working toward a degree
in commercial music with a recording concentration, I'd like to
know which periodical magazines people in the industry find most
valuable and worth collecting, or at least keeping an eye on for
good information that we can use to improve our craft. My interest
is in the broader spectrum of studio-oriented recordings of all sorts,
not only for bands/ensembles, though my hope is to do a good
deal of that kind of recording in my professional life. Any and all
feedback (no pun intended!) will be greatly appreciated.

Strange. You study audio engineering and your school does not
have the best audio engineering trade publications for reading?
Impossible.

Cheers

Jens

What the classrooms have on hand are catalogs (Swee****er,
Musician's Friend, etc.). I'm more interested in magazines that
discuss technical aspects of audio recording and production.

Thanks,
Eric

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eric P.

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Eric P." wrote in message

As a student of audio engineering, and working toward a
degree
in commercial music with a recording concentration, I'd
like to
know which periodical magazines people in the industry
find most valuable and worth collecting, or at least
keeping an eye on for
good information that we can use to improve our craft.

What's on your professors' office desks?

When you visit a shop that does the kind of work you want to do, what do
they read there?

When you search Google based on keywords that interest you right now, what
comes up?

I think I know some answers, but this answer to you is along the lines of
"Give a hungry man a fishing pole, not just a fish".

Ah, very helpful leads...makes sense to ask the pros what
they read, huh? Thanks for the reminder to go with the nearest
sources first *S*

Aurally yours,
Eric
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Ethan Winer

Eric,

Just to offer a different perspective...

which periodical magazines people in the industry find most valuable and

worth collecting

Pretty much none of them. And Yes, I am serious.

Well, okay there are a few exceptions. One great magazine is Sound On Sound
from England. You can get a subscription in the US for about $70 per year.

From my perspective, most of the US magazines typically have one or two good
technical articles per year, and the rest are filler and reviews of stuff I
don't care about. I mean, how many new microphones do we really need? Worse,
in every issue of every magazine I typically find a dozen or more SERIOUS
technical errors. This has gotten worse over the years, as audio myths are
repeated over and over so many times that they become established as fact.

--Ethan

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Laurence Payne

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 12:47:41 -0400, "Ethan Winer" ethanw at
ethanwiner dot com wrote:

Well, okay there are a few exceptions. One great magazine is Sound On Sound
from England. You can get a subscription in the US for about $70 per year.

From my perspective, most of the US magazines typically have one or two good
technical articles per year, and the rest are filler and reviews of stuff I
don't care about. I mean, how many new microphones do we really need? Worse,
in every issue of every magazine I typically find a dozen or more SERIOUS
technical errors. This has gotten worse over the years, as audio myths are
repeated over and over so many times that they become established as fact.

And (in the UK) I get irritated with SOS for being SO gear-orientated
:-) Is the American scene even worse?
Posted to rec.audio.tech

Jens Rodrigo wrote:
Eric P. wrote
As a student of audio engineering, and working toward a degree
in commercial music with a recording concentration, I'd like to
know which periodical magazines people in the industry find most
valuable and worth collecting, or at least keeping an eye on for
good information that we can use to improve our craft. My interest
is in the broader spectrum of studio-oriented recordings of all sorts,
not only for bands/ensembles, though my hope is to do a good
deal of that kind of recording in my professional life. Any and all
feedback (no pun intended!) will be greatly appreciated.

Strange. You study audio engineering and your school does not
have the best audio engineering trade publications for reading?
Impossible.

One of the problems is what does the original poster mean by "audio
engineering?"

There are certainly two rather different definitions. One definition
is that alluded to by other respondants, i.e., that set of activities
performed in the capture, processing, recording and production
of sound, while another is the engineering, i.e., the physical,
eletrical and acoustical thoery, the design and production of
audio equipment and processes. They are VERY different
pursuits, though there are certainly common, overlapping
areas.

So, devoid of a clear definition, it's difficult to answer the question
in any definitive way, though I must say that in those professional,
accredited instutions engaged in teaching the latter definition
above, this question seldom, if ever, arises, because the places
are absolutely swimming in the relevant publications, books
and other resources.

If, then, the answer to this is not obvious or apparent to the
originalm poster at whatever institution being attended, I would
hazard to suggest there's something very suspect about that
institution. Why iosn't there a library at hand, or a professor or
three with their own libraries of exactly this material?

Is this some place like Full Sail?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Pooh Bear

"Eric P." wrote:

In article ,
"Jens Rodrigo" wrote:

Eric P. wrote
[...]

Have you joined the AES ? There's a discounted rate ( I think ) for Students.
http://www.aes.org/

Just recording ? I'm more familiar with live sound. It tends to have its own
mags like FOH. http://www.fohonline.com/ Check out sound on sound for recording
stuff anyway. http://www.soundonsound.com/

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Geoff

Arny Krueger wrote:
I think I know some answers, but this answer to you is along the
lines of "Give a hungry man a fishing pole, not just a fish".

A line and hook may help too.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger

"Geoff" wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:
I think I know some answers, but this answer to you is
along the lines of "Give a hungry man a fishing pole,
not just a fish".

A line and hook may help too.

Doooh.

AFAIK, most people think that a fishing pole is a system composed of a reel,
line, rod, line, hook and/or lure.

Given that you seem to be profoundly lacking in that department, a little
imagination would do wonders for you, Geoff. Or, are you just acting stupid
to troll me? ;-)

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger

"Laurence Payne" lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom wrote in
message
at ethanwiner dot com wrote:

Well, okay there are a few exceptions. One great
magazine is Sound On Sound from England. You can get a
subscription in the US for about $70 per year.

From my perspective, most of the US magazines typically
have one or two good technical articles per year, and
the rest are filler and reviews of stuff I don't care
about. I mean, how many new microphones do we really
need? Worse, in every issue of every magazine I
typically find a dozen or more SERIOUS technical errors.
This has gotten worse over the years, as audio myths are
repeated over and over so many times that they become
established as fact.

And (in the UK) I get irritated with SOS for being SO
gear-orientated :-) Is the American scene even worse?

Bingo!

Most American specialty magazines are just advertising vehicles. 50% or more
of the cost for the magazine are paid for by advertisers, so go figure.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Phil Allison

Eric P.
As a student of audio engineering, and working toward a degree
in commercial music with a recording concentration, I'd like to
know which periodical magazines people in the industry find most
valuable and worth collecting, or at least keeping an eye on for
good information that we can use to improve our craft. My interest
is in the broader spectrum of studio-oriented recordings of all sorts,
not only for bands/ensembles, though my hope is to do a good
deal of that kind of recording in my professional life. Any and all
feedback (no pun intended!) will be greatly appreciated.

One of the problems is what does the original poster mean by "audio
engineering?"

( snip posturing drivel)

** Eric could hardly have made it any clearer what HE meant.

He did that in the para quoted right above your words.

Forget to read it - did you ?

........ Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Ethan Winer

Laurence,

And (in the UK) I get irritated with SOS for being SO gear-orientated :-)

Is the American scene even worse?

Oh yeah. It's all gear, all the time. An ever-steady stream of reviews of
microphones, speakers, more microphones, sound cards, more microphones, more
speakers, control surfaces, more speakers, and well, you get the idea.

Of course, it's ALWAYS about the gear, and rarely about how to use it. And
it's REALLY rare for them to explain what is arguably the most important
thing of all - how the acoustics of your room dominate everything you do
from tracking to mixing to mastering. This is one reason I appreciate SOS,
because Paul White and the others there DO understand this and make the
point regularly.

For example, the current (June) issue of Mix has an article about acoustic
treatment. Not only is there NO USEFUL CONTENT whatsoever, but there are
many errors of fact and omission. They list a bunch of products, but make no
attempt at all to explain what types of treatment are good, or which
products are better than others and why. Just a bunch of paragraphs about a
bunch of vendors with no advice. Now, one could say I'm being overly
sensitive to this because acoustic treatment is my business. But really,
there's no excuse for a piece that is totally fluff. The sad fact is nobody
at Mix - or most other magazines for that matter - has a clue about what
these products do or why they're needed.

This is not my only objection! As I already said, I see serious technical
errors all the time.

Sorry for the rant. :-)

--Ethan

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eric P.

In article ,
"Ethan Winer" ethanw at ethanwiner dot com wrote:

Eric,

Just to offer a different perspective...

which periodical magazines people in the industry find most valuable and

worth collecting

Pretty much none of them. And Yes, I am serious.

Well, okay there are a few exceptions. One great magazine is Sound On Sound
from England. You can get a subscription in the US for about $70 per year.

From my perspective, most of the US magazines typically have one or two good
technical articles per year, and the rest are filler and reviews of stuff I
don't care about. I mean, how many new microphones do we really need? Worse,
in every issue of every magazine I typically find a dozen or more SERIOUS
technical errors. This has gotten worse over the years, as audio myths are
repeated over and over so many times that they become established as fact.

--Ethan

Wow, that's an important thing to be aware of. Thanks! Yes, I've seen
Sound On Sound in a bookstore recently.

So, perhaps it's best to simply browse through many titles, and take only
those that have good information in them.

Much obliged,
Eric
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eric P.

In article .com,
wrote:

Jens Rodrigo wrote:
Eric P. wrote
[...]

[snip]

Yes, the first definition applies, in my case. I currently attend a
junior college, one that boasts a fine music department, yet many
of us students find some crucial aspects to be lacking. The availability
of reference material is one. I don't know anyone outside my classes
with whom I can discuss the technical aspects of the recording process,
but I'm very interested in finding publications that are well-respected
by people who make a living in studio recording.

Thanks,
Eric
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eric P.

In article ,
Pooh Bear wrote:

"Eric P." wrote:

In article ,
"Jens Rodrigo" wrote:

Eric P. wrote
[...]

Not yet, but I will soon. Lack of funds has kept me out of membership,
but I've attended several of their events at the campus.

I'll also be joining the Recording Academy, as they recently added a
student membership at an affordable price.

Just recording ? I'm more familiar with live sound. It tends to have its own
mags like FOH. http://www.fohonline.com/ Check out sound on sound for
recording
stuff anyway. http://www.soundonsound.com/

Graham

Yes, I've also studied live sound reinforcement, but I have no
professional interest in it, except perhaps as a "side job." It's
something I can do, either as monitor or FOH engineer, but
my real passion is for studio recording, mixing, and mastering.

Thanks,
Eric
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Pooh Bear

"Eric P." wrote:

In article ,
"Ethan Winer" ethanw at ethanwiner dot com wrote:

Eric,

Just to offer a different perspective...

which periodical magazines people in the industry find most valuable and

worth collecting

Pretty much none of them. And Yes, I am serious.

Well, okay there are a few exceptions. One great magazine is Sound On Sound
from England. You can get a subscription in the US for about $70 per year.

From my perspective, most of the US magazines typically have one or two good
technical articles per year, and the rest are filler and reviews of stuff I
don't care about. I mean, how many new microphones do we really need? Worse,
in every issue of every magazine I typically find a dozen or more SERIOUS
technical errors. This has gotten worse over the years, as audio myths are
repeated over and over so many times that they become established as fact.

--Ethan

Wow, that's an important thing to be aware of. Thanks! Yes, I've seen
Sound On Sound in a bookstore recently.

So, perhaps it's best to simply browse through many titles, and take only
those that have good information in them.

I don't think anyone's mentioned Mix magazine yet. http://mixonline.com/

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eric P.

In article ,
"Ethan Winer" ethanw at ethanwiner dot com wrote:

Laurence,

And (in the UK) I get irritated with SOS for being SO gear-orientated :-)

Is the American scene even worse?

Oh yeah. It's all gear, all the time. An ever-steady stream of reviews of
microphones, speakers, more microphones, sound cards, more microphones, more
speakers, control surfaces, more speakers, and well, you get the idea.

Gotta love American capitalism...(yes, that was sarcasm *L*)

Of course, it's ALWAYS about the gear, and rarely about how to use it. And
it's REALLY rare for them to explain what is arguably the most important
thing of all - how the acoustics of your room dominate everything you do
from tracking to mixing to mastering. This is one reason I appreciate SOS,
because Paul White and the others there DO understand this and make the
point regularly.

Agreed! One must know the virtues and effective applications of such
things as bass traps or anechoic foam, not to mention wall angles,
placement of speakers...and on and on...I prefer to deal with people
who know about things on these deeper levels.

For example, the current (June) issue of Mix has an article about acoustic
treatment. Not only is there NO USEFUL CONTENT whatsoever, but there are
many errors of fact and omission. They list a bunch of products, but make no
attempt at all to explain what types of treatment are good, or which
products are better than others and why. Just a bunch of paragraphs about a
bunch of vendors with no advice. Now, one could say I'm being overly
sensitive to this because acoustic treatment is my business. But really,
there's no excuse for a piece that is totally fluff. The sad fact is nobody
at Mix - or most other magazines for that matter - has a clue about what
these products do or why they're needed.

Yikes! That's exactly the kind of thing I'd like to avoid. Perhaps I
should have asked what publications to avoid, rather than what
ones are reliable and worthwhile to the recording enthusiast and
aspiring professional.

This is not my only objection! As I already said, I see serious technical
errors all the time.

Sorry for the rant. :-)

--Ethan

No worries, mate!

Cheers,
Eric

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Geoff

Sound On Sound has some content online free, some you need to e-sub for, and
everything in hardcopy (International edition available, without all the UK

http://www.soundonsound.com/

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Cyberserf

Pooh Bear wrote:
"Eric P." wrote:

In article ,
"Ethan Winer" ethanw at ethanwiner dot com wrote:

Eric,

Just to offer a different perspective...

which periodical magazines people in the industry find most valuable and
worth collecting

Pretty much none of them. And Yes, I am serious.

Well, okay there are a few exceptions. One great magazine is Sound On Sound
from England. You can get a subscription in the US for about $70 per year.

From my perspective, most of the US magazines typically have one or two good
technical articles per year, and the rest are filler and reviews of stuff I
don't care about. I mean, how many new microphones do we really need? Worse,
in every issue of every magazine I typically find a dozen or more SERIOUS
technical errors. This has gotten worse over the years, as audio myths are
repeated over and over so many times that they become established as fact.

--Ethan

Wow, that's an important thing to be aware of. Thanks! Yes, I've seen
Sound On Sound in a bookstore recently.

So, perhaps it's best to simply browse through many titles, and take only
those that have good information in them.

I don't think anyone's mentioned Mix magazine yet. http://mixonline.com/

or "Recording" Magazine (though this may be more appropriate for the
HomeStudio/Project Studio). http://www.recordingmag.com/

-CS

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eric P.

In article .com,
"Cyberserf" wrote:

Pooh Bear wrote:
"Eric P." wrote:

In article ,
"Ethan Winer" ethanw at ethanwiner dot com wrote:

Eric,

Just to offer a different perspective...

which periodical magazines people in the industry find most valuable
and
worth collecting

Pretty much none of them. And Yes, I am serious.

Well, okay there are a few exceptions. One great magazine is Sound On
Sound
from England. You can get a subscription in the US for about $70 per
year.

From my perspective, most of the US magazines typically have one or two
good
[...]

OK, so far I have Sound On Sound, Mix (although controversial), and
Recording. I'll check out these titles next time I'm at a bookstore.

Any other useful titles?

Thanks,
Eric