Posted to rec.audio.tech
windcrest

Default Low cost motorized potentiometers?

Has anyone worked with or know of a supplier of low cost motorized
rotary panel-mount audio potentiometers? I'm designing an analog
keyboard amp/mixer and want to use a simple cheap microcontroller and
external flash memory card so that the user can "save/recall" the
settings of all their pots with a bank of pre-set buttons or control
the pots via midi channel.

The pots I am looking for should have a way for the shaft position to
be known by the controller for the "save function" as well as the motor
itself "recall function". I'm thinking the microcontroller will use a
simple position/motion servo feedback loop routine to move any pot from
it's current position to it's new position. Motion will stop when feed
back indicates desired position is met until all pots are done.

Anyone who's worked with motorized pots like this? Thanks for any
opinion on this. Or if you know of a relatively inexpensive rotational
servo that can be added to a standard pot or an all-in-one
pot/motor/servo solution.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS

In article m, "windcrest" wrote:
[...]

Low cost.
http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...IZED_POT_.html

Its a dual pot so the resistance could be measured for position.

greg
Posted to rec.audio.tech
kt

Don't look for an analogue solution in a digital world! Forget the
pot, look at encoders. These are basically clever switches designed to
look like pots. Using simple 74** to count the "clicks" of the
encoder, it is possible to save the position and recall a position
without turning the pot to the "old" position, and if you wanted to be
really flash, put some LEDs around the knob as an indicator to the
actual position.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T

"kt" wrote in message
oups.com...
Don't look for an analogue solution in a digital world! Forget the
pot, look at encoders. These are basically clever switches designed to
look like pots. Using simple 74** to count the "clicks" of the
encoder, it is possible to save the position and recall a position
without turning the pot to the "old" position, and if you wanted to be
really flash, put some LEDs around the knob as an indicator to the
actual position.

Yes, but better to use a seven segment display per channel to give a 0-9
indication of each setting. And of course you control it all with a PIC
these days.

MrT.