Posted to rec.audio.tech
PanHandler

Default CD player/car head unit

When the unit is changing CD tracks there is a low level, fairly low
frequency 'blubbering' sound from all speakers. This is the only time I hear
it, and it's quiet enough that it's not objectionable. Could it be the
stepping motor is poorly filtered or something like that? Not discernable
during quiet passages in music.
TIA
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Easy's getting harder everyday

Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS

In article , "PanHandler" wrote:
When the unit is changing CD tracks there is a low level, fairly low
frequency 'blubbering' sound from all speakers. This is the only time I hear
it, and it's quiet enough that it's not objectionable. Could it be the
stepping motor is poorly filtered or something like that? Not discernable
during quiet passages in music.

Most likely ground loop artifacts or just plain ground problems.
I think many systems may produce
this to some degree. Is there a separate amp?

greg
Posted to rec.audio.tech
PanHandler

"GregS" wrote in message
In article , "PanHandler"
wrote:
When the unit is changing CD tracks there is a low level, fairly low
frequency 'blubbering' sound from all speakers. This is the only time I
hear
it, and it's quiet enough that it's not objectionable. Could it be the
stepping motor is poorly filtered or something like that? Not discernable
during quiet passages in music.

Most likely ground loop artifacts or just plain ground problems.
I think many systems may produce
this to some degree. Is there a separate amp?

Hi Greg
Yeah, it's in my 'portable juke' unit. Here's a pic of some of the wiring:
http://flickr.com/photos/43996336@N00/?saved=1 I took care to get everything
right.
Joe

Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS

In article , "PanHandler" wrote:

"GregS" wrote in message
In article , "PanHandler"
wrote:
When the unit is changing CD tracks there is a low level, fairly low
frequency 'blubbering' sound from all speakers. This is the only time I
hear
it, and it's quiet enough that it's not objectionable. Could it be the
stepping motor is poorly filtered or something like that? Not discernable
during quiet passages in music.

Most likely ground loop artifacts or just plain ground problems.
I think many systems may produce
this to some degree. Is there a separate amp?

Hi Greg
Yeah, it's in my 'portable juke' unit. Here's a pic of some of the wiring:
http://flickr.com/photos/43996336@N00/?saved=1 I took care to get everything
right.

In troubleshooting, you basically do something and listen for results.
Stuff you can do. Increase power wiring thickness. Rerouting wiring.
Adding ferrite clamps to most any connection, including RCA
type cabling. Adding a RCA ground loop isolator in the signal
line. Turning down amplifier gain.

greg

Posted to rec.audio.tech
PanHandler

"GregS" wrote in message
In troubleshooting, you basically do something and listen for results.
Stuff you can do. Increase power wiring thickness. Rerouting wiring.
Adding ferrite clamps to most any connection, including RCA
type cabling. Adding a RCA ground loop isolator in the signal
line. Turning down amplifier gain.

Thanx Greg. I've done some shooting, but it's not really a big deal (at this
point, anyway). I like the idea of the clamps and GLI. Any suggestion for
sources?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
PanHandler

"GregS" wrote in message

Most likely ground loop artifacts or just plain ground problems.

Wouldn't GL artifacts manifest themselves 'all' the time?

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"GregS" wrote in message
In troubleshooting, you basically do something and listen for results.
Stuff you can do. Increase power wiring thickness. Rerouting wiring.
Adding ferrite clamps to most any connection, including RCA
type cabling. Adding a RCA ground loop isolator in the signal
line. Turning down amplifier gain.

Thanx Greg. I've done some shooting, but it's not really a big deal (at this
point, anyway). I like the idea of the clamps and GLI. Any suggestion for
sources?

R A D I O S H A C K

One more thing is to add some filtering on the power leads.
Try a electrolytic of at least 1000 mfd 16 volts across
the 13.8 volts. observe polarity. This can also be in conjunction with ferrite cores.

greg

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"GregS" wrote in message

Most likely ground loop artifacts or just plain ground problems.

Wouldn't GL artifacts manifest themselves 'all' the time?

Right but music helps to hide them, and when the CD is
just playing, its not doing much.

greg
Posted to rec.audio.tech
PanHandler

"GregS" wrote in message
In article , "PanHandler"
wrote:

"GregS" wrote in message

Most likely ground loop artifacts or just plain ground problems.

Wouldn't GL artifacts manifest themselves 'all' the time?

Right but music helps to hide them, and when the CD is
just playing, its not doing much.

Thanks again. Between you, Graham and others, this has been an enlightening
week!

Question on wiring for AU Falcon Head Unit itsjethro Car Audio 1 January 5th 05 05:35 AM
JVC Head Unit Help Jcasey22 Car Audio 0 January 3rd 05 08:04 PM
My Wishlist for MP3 Head Unit hurricane51 Car Audio 8 October 14th 03 01:58 PM
help connecting power to 2nd head unit Paul Vina Car Audio 1 July 9th 03 08:34 PM
gps install: how to mix its audio (voice prompting) with head unit audio-out? bryan Car Audio 0 July 3rd 03 05:46 PM