A Audio and hi-fi forum. AudioBanter

Go Back   Home » AudioBanter forum » rec.audio » Pro Audio
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

What's the best digital music-recording program for a Macintosh computer user?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old October 13th 17, 12:23 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,810
Default What's the best digital music-recording program for a Macintoshcomputer user?

On 10/12/2017 10:32 PM, Trevor wrote:
>> I never denied the existence of the concept of "virtual multitrack."

>
> Good, so what exactly were you complaining about in my original comment?
> (that you have deleted)


I understood what you were talking about. What I objected to was your
use of the term "virtual multitrack" that you made up, as if it was
something really important and significant. I object, in general, to
terms that are made up and used for no good reason.

If you didn't make up the term, can you provide a reference that
legitimizes it, other than a post on the WWW?


>> People were recording time code on analog tape and adding virtual
>> tracks (as many as the available hardware would allow) by
>> synchronizing MIDI sequencers to time code.


> Do you have a reference for anyone calling them "virtual tracks"? (other
> than yourself) Never heard it myself.


This term has been around for so long I really can't remember when I
first heard it. If the rec.music.makers.synth newsgroup archive goes
back to the 1990s, you'll probably find it there. I can tell you that
there was, maybe still is, a magazine named "Virtual Instruments" that
was all about using computers to produce sounds used in musical
compositions. That magazine came along after the concept of virtual
tracks in a multitrack DAW were pretty well accepted - recording of
tracks that yield the sounds of virtual instruments. No need to invent a
name for it.

> Just as when tape decks were
> synchronised to give extra REAL tracks, NOT virtual.


I agree with that except for the "Just as" part. Real audio sounds, and
not sequences of commands that cause something else to produce
synthesized sounds, are what are recorded on the slave deck.

>> If there were analog tracks available, the synthesizers could be
>> recorded on them for convenience. Otherwise, the synthesizer outputs
>> went into more mixer channels - THOSE were the "virtual tracks."

>
> Not IMO, they were simply hardware synced instruments.


And that, in a nutshell, is what a "virtual track" is. But I guess you
just don't get it. You had to have been there. It was something to
really get excited about, knowing that, given time, more processing
power, and better hardware designs, the virtual sounds would get closer
and closer to the sound of real instruments - or, alternatively, that
sounds that aren't made by any organic musical instrument could actually
be played and used in a musical composition.

You need to read a good book about the history of electronic music, and
no, I can't recommend one.

> As I said all along, "virtual tracks" have little to do with MIDI,


Technically, that's true. The Grateful Dead had a DEC PDP-8 computer on
stage that played sequences on a voltage-controlled synthesizer to go
along with their performances. Though nobody thought to give it a name
at the time, that was certainly a virtual track that added to their
performance. And, I suppose, one could call the backing track that the
lounge lizard uses to augment his one man band could be a virtual track
as well. But nobody thought to put that name to it.

> you can now have hundreds of virtual
> tracks of purely acoustic recordings.


We're getting kind of slippery here. You can have a virtual track
playing recorded samples of an acoustic instrument. However, the
instrument that was used to create the samples never played the part
that comes out of the computer.

> Basically what we had to do in
> overdub with degraded sound quality every time a track was copied to add
> something on top (and then could no longer be edited separately) can now
> be done on a new track even if you only have a 2 channel interface.


Uhhhhh . . . this is what MULTITRACK _RECORDING_ is all about. The
exciting development was that you no longer had to mix a previously
recorded part with a new part, record the mix, and throw away the
original part. If you don't understand that, then there's no point to
continuing this discussion.

>> But, honestly, I've never heard anyone use the term "virtual
>> multitrack" until you came along in this discussion.

>
> Amazing, but irrelevant. I would have thought the concept was obvious to
> anyone in the industry, but there you go.


It's obvious in the sense that I understand what you meant when you
wrote it, but it's also an unnecessary term. Would you say you were
"chopsticking" when you were eating your kung pao chicken? No, you're
just "eating."



--

For a good time, call http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Ads
  #52  
Old October 13th 17, 01:32 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Les Cargill[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,291
Default What's the best digital music-recording program for a Macintoshcomputer user?

Tom Evans wrote:
> On 2017-10-10 22:31:11 +0000, Scott Dorsey said:
>
>> Tom Evans > wrote:
>>>
>>> I already have two loop-based composing tools: Logic and Garageband.
>>>
>>> So I don't see why you think I would need ACID, which I'd never even
>>> heard of.

>>
>> Because ACID will allow you to use sample libraries from wherever you
>> want,
>> whereas Garageband ties you into the samples that you keep saying you
>> don't
>> like the sound of.
>>
>>> And Logic is a high-quality pro tool, so why would I need to spend time
>>> and effort learning ACID, after I've already invested time and money on
>>> Logic.

>>
>> Because clearly there's something you want to do that you're not able to
>> do with Logic. Otherwise you would not be here.
>> --scott

>
> You made a false and stupid assumption, Scott.
>


Tautologies are low in information content but they're certainly not
stupid.

> I'm here to follow-up -- to check if anyone answered my question about
> what DAW they might recommend. To not check if anyone answered my
> question would have been irrepsonsible.
>


One of the weird things that Usenet learned ( and the rest of the
online... things never did ) is that no answer is still no answer.

> Tom Evans
>
>


--
Les Cargill
  #53  
Old October 14th 17, 06:18 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,608
Default What's the best digital music-recording program for a Macintoshcomputer user?

On 13/10/2017 10:23 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
> On 10/12/2017 10:32 PM, Trevor wrote:
>>> I never denied the existence of the concept of "virtual multitrack."

>>
>> Good, so what exactly were you complaining about in my original comment?
>> (that you have deleted)

>
> I understood what you were talking about. What I objected to was your
> use of the term "virtual multitrack" that you made up, as if it was
> something really important and significant. I object, in general, to
> terms that are made up and used for no good reason.


You are welcome to go against the terminology others use of course. But
pretending I'm the only one when a simple google search could prove
otherwise is pointless.


> If you didn't make up the term, can you provide a reference that
> legitimizes it, other than a post on the WWW?


Ah you want a dictionary entry or nothing. I'm sure I don't care!


>>> People were recording time code on analog tape and adding virtual
>>> tracks (as many as the available hardware would allow) by
>>> synchronizing MIDI sequencers to time code.

>
>> Do you have a reference for anyone calling them "virtual tracks"?
>> (other than yourself) Never heard it myself.

>
> This term has been around for so long I really can't remember when I
> first heard it. If the rec.music.makers.synth newsgroup archive goes
> back to the 1990s, you'll probably find it there.



If you didn't make up the term, can you provide a reference that
legitimizes it, other than a post on the WWW?


> I can tell you that
> there was, maybe still is, a magazine named "Virtual Instruments"


Virtual instruments is NOT the same thing as virtual tracks. I guess the
word "virtual" confuses you, so I'll just give up now.

Trevor.



  #54  
Old October 14th 17, 11:51 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,810
Default What's the best digital music-recording program for a Macintoshcomputer user?

On 10/14/2017 1:18 AM, Trevor wrote:
> I'll just give up now.


Thank you.

--

For a good time, call http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
  #55  
Old October 14th 17, 12:28 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 288
Default What's the best digital music-recording program for a Macintoshcomputer user?

On Saturday, October 14, 2017 at 6:51:47 AM UTC-4, Mike Rivers wrote:
> On 10/14/2017 1:18 AM, Trevor wrote:
> > I'll just give up now.

>
> Thank you.
>
> --
>
> For a good time, call http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com


Interesting. The same ones I have trouble with, others have trouble with.
As I always felt, in usenet forums, you'll always find the king of the hill posters.

Jack
  #56  
Old October 16th 17, 03:18 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil W
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 116
Default What's the best digital music-recording program for a Macintosh computer user?

"Geoff":

> If you wanted to you could try it for free and find out (more intuitive
> for starters). But you don't want to, so don't.
>
> What is it that you are actually wanting to ask or contribute ?


He´s only wanting to troll and nothing else! Just like some years ago, when
he refused to learn anything necessary to make and record music, because he
just wanted to "make beautiful ART" or something like that.
It´s exactly the same arrogant behaviour now again... and back then, he also
would NOT post a link to any example of his oh so great "ART".

Go figure and use a killfile instead of replying to this troll.

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best digital music recording program Tom Evans Pro Audio 357 July 2nd 16 12:38 AM
HELP: Macintosh Minidisc/Digital Audio Recording/Importing Marc Wielage Pro Audio 0 March 13th 04 08:57 AM
HELP: Macintosh Minidisc/Digital Audio Recording/Importing Maurice Rickard Pro Audio 0 March 9th 04 08:42 PM
(TO EVERYONE)WHERE CAN I GET A DEMO DIGITAL RECORDING PROGRAM ONLINE? Johnny Calvin Audio Opinions 1 December 19th 03 06:08 PM
(TO EVERYONE)WHERE CAN I GET A DEMO DIGITAL RECORDING PROGRAM ONLINE? Johnny Calvin General 0 December 19th 03 07:26 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 AudioBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.