Jackson

Default Networking gurus...help

1st step)
Startup an ftp server on your box. If it's windows, you'll need to get an
ftp server. Free ones are available on the Net. If it's linux, have a look
at the /etc/inetd.conf file.

2nd step)
Connect to your router via its http or telnet interface and configure it to
allow inbound ftp traffic on port 21, which is the default ftp port. You
may need to do some port or IP mapping depending on how the thing is being
used.

3rd step)
Test your connection locally just to make sure you can establish an ftp
connection to the target box.

4th step)
Make sure your ftp server is secured with a password or is setup properly to
only allow GET operations, otherwise you could find your system hosed by
curious web hacks.

-Kevin

"Mark Zarella" wrote in message
I know some of the regs here are networking gurus, so I figured I'd post
this question.

I want to set up an ftp server so that I can access files on one of my

home
computers away from home. However, at home I'm running through a

Microsoft
router so I'm not sure how to do it. I have the WAN IP and the DNS and
gateway addresses and so forth. I don't know how to use that info to set
things up.

If anyone has any recommendations on software to do it (I like a
Windows-explorer type interface) and how to do it behind a router, I'd
appreciate it. Thanks.