Wireless systems

Old May 18th 06, 08:22 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Wireless systems

Hey all,
Here's the posish: we have a whole lot of sennheiser wireless kit
running around (microphones) in our church hall. We have a whole lot of
base stations, most of which operate in the same range of frequency.
Now, we have a little recording studio on the side where we record
verious things during meetings - in order to avoid the complicated
wiring, we have been using some of our 'spare' diversity recievers to
pick up the signal running from the wireless tie, hand and headmics.
The problem is that every time we buy new mics its kind of pot luck as
to the frequency range we will get. Is there anyone who makes diversity
recievers that have a wide UHF range so we could buy a whole load and
not worry about the transmitter range? Any thoughts?

Old May 18th 06, 08:33 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 18 May 2006 00:22:08 -0700, wrote:

>Hey all,
>Here's the posish: we have a whole lot of sennheiser wireless kit
>running around (microphones) in our church hall. We have a whole lot of
>base stations, most of which operate in the same range of frequency.
>Now, we have a little recording studio on the side where we record
>verious things during meetings - in order to avoid the complicated
>wiring, we have been using some of our 'spare' diversity recievers to
>pick up the signal running from the wireless tie, hand and headmics.
>The problem is that every time we buy new mics its kind of pot luck as
>to the frequency range we will get. Is there anyone who makes diversity
>recievers that have a wide UHF range so we could buy a whole load and
>not worry about the transmitter range? Any thoughts?

The use of radio microphones is regulated and licensed by Ofcom,
through the Joint Frequency Management Group
www.jfmg.co.uk
They are a helpful bunch and will tell you what you need to do both to
stay legal and find the best sources of microphone systems that aren't
scattered all over the frequency range.

There is research going on right now into digital radio mics, although
it is having problems because the data needs to be compressed to fit
the radio channels, and currently the latency is unacceptable for use
in live performances.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Old May 18th 06, 08:36 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

> Hey all,
> Here's the posish: we have a whole lot of sennheiser wireless kit
> running around (microphones) in our church hall. We have a whole lot of
> base stations, most of which operate in the same range of frequency.
> Now, we have a little recording studio on the side where we record
> verious things during meetings - in order to avoid the complicated
> wiring, we have been using some of our 'spare' diversity recievers to
> pick up the signal running from the wireless tie, hand and headmics.
> The problem is that every time we buy new mics its kind of pot luck as
> to the frequency range we will get. Is there anyone who makes diversity
> recievers that have a wide UHF range so we could buy a whole load and
> not worry about the transmitter range?

** I seriously doubt you will find any UHF *mic* receives where the
frequency range is wider than a few percent of the centre frequency. This
is a result of the RF stages having to work without frequency tuning over
the whole range the receiver is capable of.

For example, an 840 MHz Sennheiser receiver might operate over a 32 MHz
range or about 3.7 %.

......... Phil

Old May 18th 06, 08:42 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

Phil Allison wrote:

> ** I seriously doubt you will find any UHF *mic* receives where the
> frequency range is wider than a few percent of the centre frequency. This
> is a result of the RF stages having to work without frequency tuning over
> the whole range the receiver is capable of.
>
> For example, an 840 MHz Sennheiser receiver might operate over a 32 MHz
> range or about 3.7 %.

Ah ok. Whats the ideal then? Using radio scanners or trying to make
sure that all our equipment operates in the 3.7% range?

Old May 18th 06, 09:14 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

> Phil Allison wrote:
>
>> ** I seriously doubt you will find any UHF *mic* receives where the
>> frequency range is wider than a few percent of the centre frequency.
>> This
>> is a result of the RF stages having to work without frequency tuning over
>> the whole range the receiver is capable of.
>>
>> For example, an 840 MHz Sennheiser receiver might operate over a 32 MHz
>> range or about 3.7 %.

> Ah ok. Whats the ideal then?

** Radio mics are always a compromise.

The IDEAL is a length of nice mic cable !!!

> Using radio scanners or trying to make
> sure that all our equipment operates in the 3.7% range?

** Scanners are neither capable of high quality sound nor "diversity"
operation - they are very handy for sussing out the local radio
environment however.

As you WILL need one UHF mic receiver for EACH and EVERY mic, there is no
need nor advantage in a single model.

......... Phil

Old May 18th 06, 09:34 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

> There is research going on right now into digital radio mics, although
> it is having problems because the data needs to be compressed to fit
> the radio channels, and currently the latency is unacceptable for use
> in live performances.

Not really so. Check out DB Technologies' digital wireless systems. I
have one; great sound; no latency problem. I have a set, myself. It's
awesome.

Chewy
Old May 18th 06, 09:48 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On Thu, 18 May 2006 08:34:21 GMT, Chewy Papadopoulous
> wrote:

>> There is research going on right now into digital radio mics, although
>> it is having problems because the data needs to be compressed to fit
>> the radio channels, and currently the latency is unacceptable for use
>> in live performances.

>Not really so. Check out DB Technologies' digital wireless systems. I
>have one; great sound; no latency problem. I have a set, myself. It's
>awesome.
>
>Chewy

This is one of those products that works in the unlicensed ISM bands,
and does not conform to the narrow channels that will be available for
licensed systems. This means that it doesn't have the same degree of
compression. Unfortunately this product is going to be subject to the
vagaries of interference from WiFi and microwave ovens.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Old May 18th 06, 10:45 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

Phil Allison wrote:

> As you WILL need one UHF mic receiver for EACH and EVERY mic, there is no
> need nor advantage in a single model.

yep point taken about the scanners...My issue with baser stations is
that at the moment we need 2 base stations for every mic and they both
have to be in the right freq range for the mic. ideally it would be
cool to be able to buy a fully tuneable diversity reciever that
operates between say 630 Mhz to 960 Mhz and just buy a whole load of
those.

Old May 18th 06, 10:49 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

we are using sennheiser ew 100 G2 boxes... whats the range like on
those akgs?