Bala Variyam

Default CD player and DVD player in a home theater set-up

Hi,

In a home theater set-up, would you a buy a DVD player which can also
play audio CDs or would you rather buy a dedicated CD player and a
dedicated DVD player? Can you pl. recommend good CD and/or DVD
players (marantz ??).

thanks for your help.

regards,
bala (a newbie)
chung

Bala Variyam wrote:

Hi,

In a home theater set-up, would you a buy a DVD player which can also
play audio CDs or would you rather buy a dedicated CD player and a
dedicated DVD player? Can you pl. recommend good CD and/or DVD
players (marantz ??).

thanks for your help.

regards,
bala (a newbie)

For a home theater set-up, buy the DVD player with the best video
performance. It's much easier detecting video performance differences
than audio differences between DVD players.

Most DVD players sound the same playing CD's as CD-only players, as far
as I can tell. You can always use the DAC's in your
pre-processor/receiver via S/PDIF. So you don't need a CD only player
IMO. And you may want to consider the universal players that play DVD's,
SACD's, DVD-A's and CD's. And mp3's, too. Prices start at about $150, or
less.
Rui Pedro Mendes Salgueiro

Bala Variyam wrote:
In a home theater set-up, would you a buy a DVD player which can also
play audio CDs or would you rather buy a dedicated CD player and a
dedicated DVD player?

I would buy a universal player capable of playing CD, DVD-Video,
DVD-Audio, SACD and MP3. In fact I have done just that. These
days such models start at less than $150 (see a recent thread
"A low cost high-rez utopia" )

http://groups.google.pt/groups?threa...s1.newsguy.com

Can you pl. recommend good CD and/or DVD players (marantz ??).

Marantz has a good reputation. So do Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha.
If your budget allows, I think I-link output and digital video
are useful features.

--
http://www.mat.uc.pt/~rps/

..pt is Portugal| `Whom the gods love die young'-Menander (342-292 BC)
Europe | Villeneuve 50-82, Toivonen 56-86, Senna 60-94

Chris Liberti

For DVD one of the players with the best pictures (most accurate MPEG
decoder as well as good deinterlacing) is a Panasonic that is a few years
old now, the RP82. It is hard to find and sometimes on the expensive side
but is well worth it.