Dave

Default Orb audio speakers

I'm researching small speakers packages for under $1,000 a pair and
came across the Orb Audio Mod1 and Mod2 speakers. I found no
professional reviews and few recreational reviews, which were all
spectacular. I'm worried because the information is limited and I'm
new to the complex world of hi-fi. Here's the web site-
www.orbaudio.com - I was hoping someone might provide some thoughts
about the value and quality of these based on the info from the site.
I know it's hard to judge without hearing, but as far as materials go,
and any performance figures published do these look like quality
speakers at a good price? The little I've read really has been great,
but I'm open to suggestions from anyone in the know. These will be
used for surround sound music and home video and I'm using a Pioneer
VSX-1014TX-K 7.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver to power them.

Thanks,
Dave
Gary Vander Schel

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

Those specifications look pretty crappy--I certainly wouldn't buy them
unless I'd heard them first. You may want to check these out:
http://www.hsustore.com/vt12.html (better value/performance...the
aesthetics less so). Also, this link shows these, et. al:
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...age_numbe r=1
Dave

Those specifications look pretty crappy--I certainly wouldn't buy them
unless I'd heard them first. You may want to check these out:
http://www.hsustore.com/vt12.html (better value/performance...the
aesthetics less so). Also, this link shows these, et. al:

Can you be more specific about what looks crappy so I can research in
greater detail? thanks for the input.
Gary Vander Schel

"Dave" wrote in message

Those specifications look pretty crappy--I certainly wouldn't buy them
unless I'd heard them first. You may want to check these out:
http://www.hsustore.com/vt12.html (better value/performance...the
aesthetics less so). Also, this link shows these, et. al:

Can you be more specific about what looks crappy so I can research in
greater detail? thanks for the input.

Orb:
Satellites:
120hz - 18,000hz (+/- 3dB)
80hz - 20,000hz (+/- 6db)
(typical crossover setting for HT is 80Hz or lower (vs. 120Hz))

Subwoofer:
32-180hz (+/-3dB)
30-180hz (+/-6dB)
(bass is barely (if at all) audible below 30Hz)

Hsu:
VT-12
System Frequency Response: 80Hz - 20kHz

STF-2
Bass extension +/- 2 dB: 25 Hz

$600 (Hsu) vs. $1100 (Orb)

2scooters

Actually, the Orb speakers are fantastic. I've had them for over a
year and every person that comes over to my house is pretty much
amazed and jealous that they spent more on speakers than I did. They
really do deliver what they say -- high-end quality and direct
pricing. Really good bass, and clean sound. Amazing customer
service, too. I wouldn't buy speakers on specs...I think most
companies exagerate anyhow, and no spec measures imaging, etc. and
other important qualities. I think the Orbs compare with most
sysstems 2x-3x their price. They still come with a home trial, too,
so there's not much to lose. I've heard the Hsu system and the Orb
system is easily 2 or 3 steps up from that. Looks much better, too.
Not that the Hsu system is bad, but the Orb system is really a
standout and one of my bette purchases.

"Gary Vander Schel" wrote in message ...

[...]

RoyalFlush

Add my thumbs up to the Orbs...I started with the Classic Two just to
check them out, and have recently upgraded into a full theater system.
with Mod2 in the front channels and Mod1 in the rear. These speakers
have the fullest sound of any sub/sat system I've ever heard, and I
have also had a steady stream of pretty amazed listeners flowing
through my apartment. I had biggger tower speakers before this and
these sound better by a long shot. FWIW, FedEx damaged one of my
packages and their customer service was really easy and nice to deal
with.

Orb Audio speakers Dave Audio Opinions 0 September 22nd 04 08:24 PM
More on Equalizers from Ferstler Howard Ferstler Audio Opinions 515 September 20th 04 05:49 AM
Questions on basic wirjing setup Spirit Tech 28 March 31st 04 09:16 PM