Posted to rec.audio.tech
Bassload Bassload is offline

Default Advice needed, fix DAT machine or buy another one?

Hello, hopefully somebody can share their expertise w/me. I have a
Tascam DA-30 MKII DAT machine that has recently started to display the
Error 01 code which I think means that its having a problem loading the
tapes. Suspect the o-rings/drive guides? A reputable shop wants $250
minimum to replace these o-rings/drive guides and give it a once over.
I have found that on Ebay I can get another dat machine in working
condition for probably less? Perhaps upgrade to a Sony PCM 500 or
something for around $300? I tried to look for where to buy parts but
cannot find anything....suggestions? Thanks

-D

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Bassload" wrote ...
Hello, hopefully somebody can share their expertise w/me. I have a
Tascam DA-30 MKII DAT machine that has recently started to display the
Error 01 code which I think means that its having a problem loading the
tapes. Suspect the o-rings/drive guides? A reputable shop wants $250
minimum to replace these o-rings/drive guides and give it a once over.
I have found that on Ebay I can get another dat machine in working
condition for probably less? Perhaps upgrade to a Sony PCM 500 or
something for around $300? I tried to look for where to buy parts but
cannot find anything....suggestions? Thanks

You are experiencing the death pangs of a format in the December of
its life. Suggest finding a modern replacement for DAT altogether as
many of us have been forced to do.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Bassload Bassload is offline

I know, its just that I'm not ready to fold...just yet. Ideally, I
would like to mixdown through my analog mixer/hardware setup to another
PC w/a high end soundcard. Right now thats not posible financially so I
need to get my dat player fixed or get a replacement. What did you
replace your dat with? A PC perhaps?

Richard Crowley wrote:
You are experiencing the death pangs of a format in the December of
its life. Suggest finding a modern replacement for DAT altogether as
many of us have been forced to do.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On 28 Aug 2006 15:44:12 -0700, "Bassload" wrote:

I know, its just that I'm not ready to fold...just yet. Ideally, I
would like to mixdown through my analog mixer/hardware setup to another
PC w/a high end soundcard. Right now thats not posible financially so I
need to get my dat player fixed or get a replacement. What did you
replace your dat with? A PC perhaps?

Another PC? Why not to the one you've got? Just what are you
working on, anyway?

Have you got archive material on DAT, so you MUST have a working unit?
Posted to rec.audio.tech

Laurence Payne wrote:
Another PC? Why not to the one you've got? Just what are you
working on, anyway?

Have you got archive material on DAT, so you MUST have a working unit?

I'm working on songs, mostly downtempo instrumental stuff w/live
elements. I don't have any archive materials on DAT except for
songs/mixes which I've already dumped to the PC/CD. The DAT is where I
mixdown to.

My setup is pretty basic. ASR-88 or Cubase/ACID for the sequencing.
From there into the Mackie 1604 VLZ w/FX and Compressors on kicks &

bass, and into the DAT machine. Once the mix is dropped into the DAT I
dump it back into the PC via Echo Gina 24 card for tweaking in Cool
Edit or Sound Forge.

As for the PC I do have..I can't play a song in Cubase or Acid, send it
out through the mixer for FX/EQ/processing and record back into the PC
using Cool Edit/Sound Forge....

.....or can I? I assumed that I can't. Am I missing something perhaps?
Any info is greatly appreciated.

-D

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On 28 Aug 2006 16:16:33 -0700, "Bassload" wrote:

As for the PC I do have..I can't play a song in Cubase or Acid, send it
out through the mixer for FX/EQ/processing and record back into the PC
using Cool Edit/Sound Forge....

....or can I? I assumed that I can't. Am I missing something perhaps?
Any info is greatly appreciated.

Sure you can. Except that there's no need for Sound Forge. If you're
using Cubase, record in Cubase. Playing a load of tracks while
recording another is its basic function, after all :-) Just make the
whole song (via your outboard gear if you want) what you record.
Posted to rec.audio.tech

Laurence Payne wrote:
Sure you can. Except that there's no need for Sound Forge. If you're
using Cubase, record in Cubase. Playing a load of tracks while
recording another is its basic function, after all :-) Just make the
whole song (via your outboard gear if you want) what you record.

Thanks for the advice, guess I better try this tonight when I go home.
I'll post the effects of my testing....

-D

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Laurence Payne" lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom wrote in message
On 28 Aug 2006 16:16:33 -0700, "Bassload" wrote:

As for the PC I do have..I can't play a song in Cubase or Acid, send it
out through the mixer for FX/EQ/processing and record back into the PC
using Cool Edit/Sound Forge....

....or can I? I assumed that I can't. Am I missing something perhaps?
Any info is greatly appreciated.

Sure you can. Except that there's no need for Sound Forge. If you're
using Cubase, record in Cubase. Playing a load of tracks while
recording another is its basic function, after all :-) Just make the
whole song (via your outboard gear if you want) what you record.

And you need to ask what it is you think your outboard gear can do, that you
cant do with computer processing anyway.
I would hardly ever bounce a track to outboard "FX/EQ/processing " myself,
but there is no reason why you can't though.

MrT.