Posted to rec.audio.tech
gunnet gunnet is offline

Default aging of capacitor

Hi,
I would like to buy a brand new Hafler 9130 power amplifier, but my question
is if it's worth. Because I just found that capacitor deteriorate also if
the amplifier it isn't used. And I don't want to raplace nothing....

Someone know the date of manufacturing of this amp? On the manual on hafler
website near the circuit chematic diagram there is written "revised 9/3/92".
So it's from 1992?
How many year last the capacitor?

thank you

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 14:14:44 +0100, "gunnet" wrote:

Hi,
I would like to buy a brand new Hafler 9130 power amplifier, but my question
is if it's worth. Because I just found that capacitor deteriorate also if
the amplifier it isn't used. And I don't want to raplace nothing....

Someone know the date of manufacturing of this amp? On the manual on hafler
website near the circuit chematic diagram there is written "revised 9/3/92".
So it's from 1992?
How many year last the capacitor?

thank you

You say "my question is if it's worth", but omit the rather vital
conclusion to the sentence; if it's worth what?

The 1992 revision date doesn't necessarily mean that your amplifier is
from that year - just that it won't be earlier. You can tell if there
are capacitor problems. Turn it on - does it hum? If not, good so far.
After a few minutes, touch the big caps - they should be completely
cold; if they are at all warm, there are problems with them. You may
find that they improve after a while operating as the electrolytic
barrier re-forms.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS GregS is offline

In article , "gunnet" wrote:
Hi,
I would like to buy a brand new Hafler 9130 power amplifier, but my question
is if it's worth. Because I just found that capacitor deteriorate also if
the amplifier it isn't used. And I don't want to raplace nothing....

Someone know the date of manufacturing of this amp? On the manual on hafler
website near the circuit chematic diagram there is written "revised 9/3/92".
So it's from 1992?
How many year last the capacitor?

Brand new Hafler 9130 should last a long time???

Some caution might be in store for powering old
equipment. Just close your eys.

I don't think I ever replaced a power cap that wasn't blown apart in an audio amp.

Sometime I add additional caps.

Don't worry.
Go for it.

greg
Posted to rec.audio.tech
gunnet gunnet is offline

You say "my question is if it's worth", but omit the rather vital
conclusion to the sentence; if it's worth what?

if it's worth buying this amplifier with old caps. After reading on google
that the bass response with old caps is worse....

I have no chance to try it.
Here's the manual:
http://www.hafler.com/techsupport/pdf/9130_amp_man.pdf

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Barry Mann Barry Mann is offline

In , on 03/07/07
at 09:56 PM, "gunnet" sadf said:

You say "my question is if it's worth", but omit the rather vital
conclusion to the sentence; if it's worth what?

if it's worth buying this amplifier with old caps. After reading on
google that the bass response with old caps is worse....

I have no chance to try it.
Here's the manual:
http://www.hafler.com/techsupport/pdf/9130_amp_man.pdf

If you can't try it, the price should reflect that.

I assume that this is an online sale. I can't say how many online sales
go sour, but I've had a few come in for my evaluation. In some cases I
think that the seller knew that the unit was in trouble. In other cases
the seller was representing the product as well as he could -- the last
time he used the product (15 years ago) it worked. In one case a Revox
Reel to Reel came in. The seller said "hardly used". Perhaps not in
Revox terms (they last a long time), but someone put at least a 1000
hours on the heads and there were other problems with the deck (a
missing record channel).

At one point I needed a part for a long discontinued cassette deck.
Ultimately I found a unit on eBay. The owner had glowing statements
about the excellent condition of the unit and he would include a copy
of the service manual. Since he could make the transport spin, I knew
that the part I needed was OK, the rest I didn't care about. When the
unit arrived, I noticed that someone had replaced the playback head
with something strange. This had been a high end unit, but the odd head
ruined any chance of great performance. I don't think that the seller
was in a position to properly evaluate the unit, much less recognize
the odd head on sight. I notified the seller of the problem because he
was a frequent seller and he should be aware of any problems with his
sources. I was able to salvage the part that I needed and I never told
the seller about the true fate of his prized deck. I have an original
service manual.

spam:
wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

gunnet wrote:

You say "my question is if it's worth", but omit the rather vital
conclusion to the sentence; if it's worth what?

if it's worth buying this amplifier with old caps. After reading on google
that the bass response with old caps is worse....

I have no chance to try it.
Here's the manual:
http://www.hafler.com/techsupport/pdf/9130_amp_man.pdf

Mosfet output stage. Nice.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
gunnet gunnet is offline

I assume that this is an online sale. I can't say how many online sales go
sour, but I've had a few come in for my evaluation.

This is a website that it's selling brand new audio product. I already
purchased from him, and the unit was really new. They're selling unsold
stock for distributor in my country.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

gunnet wrote:

I assume that this is an online sale. I can't say how many online sales go
sour, but I've had a few come in for my evaluation.

This is a website that it's selling brand new audio product. I already
purchased from him, and the unit was really new. They're selling unsold
stock for distributor in my country.

What's the price ?

Graham

Aging MD441 Micha Pro Audio 17 September 19th 06 04:05 AM
capacitor FABIO61 Pro Audio 1 July 27th 05 06:27 PM
who needs capacitor? amydeng2001 Pro Audio 1 June 14th 05 02:22 PM
Aging Ampex 406 bulk - worthless or not? parkerea Pro Audio 13 March 22nd 04 05:58 PM
capacitor Bryan Car Audio 3 December 5th 03 05:15 AM