Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.car
ChrisB ChrisB is offline

Default Car alarm installers rant

Okay, first off don't laugh at me too bad, but the factory alarm in my
1997 Civic EX is starting to act up. I decided to check around and see
what the locals charged to put an aftermarket alarm in. Well, I called
around and was shocked to see that NONE of my local shops do starter
disables any more. Even more shocking was that the labor they charged
was about $100 to $175 just to install the freaking alarm.

I am thinking that since my particular model of Civic is a little higher
on the theft list, I probably should either consider an alarm with
starter disable or a couple of well hidden fuel pump cutoff switches.
What use is an aftermarket alarm going to be to me if the thief gets in,
pops the hood, cuts the siren, then drives off with the car that doesn't
have the starter disable connected?

Maybe I am overly paranoid, but I think those installers are doing a
great disservice to their customers by NOT connecting the starter
disable when they install the alarm and charge $175 (or more) to do it.

On the other hand, I could just replace the Honda factory units, but, I
don't want to pay premium prices for old school technology. After
getting used to hooking my IPOD up to an Alpine head unit, it kind of
makes CD changers and cassette tapes a thing of the past! Plus, I bet I
can install an Alpine head unit and an aftermarket alarm myself for way
less than the cost of the Honda factory radio and alarm module!

Okay rant off, but the bottom line I am trying to get at is can someone
tell me why none of the local installers do starter disables when they
install alarms? Is it because the newer vehicles have chipped keys or
are they just lazy?