Posted to rec.audio.car
Shawn B. Shawn B. is offline

Default Auto electrical question not audio

Greetings,

I've been digging for a suitable newsgroup but this seems to be the closest
I can find but it is slightly off-topic.

I want to install into my 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid a driving recorder. There
are two cameras that are 8-12V DC 300ma each and a quad signal
processor/recorder that is 12V DC 200ma.

My car already has a GPS navigation unit (factory installed so I don't have
electrical statistics since they don't provide it), a custom sunroof
(electrical), and a rear-view mirror that is attached to the electrical
system for dimming when bright lights are behind me.

What my specific questions are, whether the cameras/processor would be a
huge drain on the electrical system that I intend to only be recording when
the car is in movement and not when the engine isn't started. I'm hoping
that people in this group will be more electrically knowledgeable than I am
and could answer that question for me before I drop the money on the
equipment.

I've looked into some racecar camera kits and so on and they all have
similar electrical needs so I don't think it'll be a problem but I want to
make sure.

Thanks,
Shawn

Posted to rec.audio.car
e-nigma e-nigma is offline

"Shawn B." wrote in message
. com...
[...]

All those pieces together is a very small draw on the electrical system.
Your car radio uses 10-20 times or more draw on your electrical system

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

Shawn B. wrote:
[...]

Well, 300mA *2 + 200ma = 800mA... so AT MAXIMUM all that would draw less
than an amp. There's very little in the car that would draw less than that.
Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Just to add to what Matt and e-nigma have already said, your car's
electrical system is designed to have some excess capacity in the electrical
system. There are many unknowns that car engineers must consider about the
nature of how people use their cars. They must anticipate that at a user
may want to blast their stereo, use a cell-phone, rear-window defogger,
high-beams on, dome-light on, etc. all at the same time (and keep the
battery fully charged!). Thererfore, all cars are designed with excess
current capacity that ranges from 20 amps to 50 amps. By this I mean excess
current above and beyond what is needed to simply keep the car running and
the battery charged (meaning keeping the voltage above 12 volts).

So, as was already stated by Matt and Enigma, there will be NO PROBLEM
whatsover wit hrunning those video systems.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy Captain Howdy is offline

Especially if you use ghetto video gear in your car that runs off its own
battery pack.

In article , "MOSFET"
wrote:
Just to add to what Matt and e-nigma have already said, your car's
electrical system is designed to have some excess capacity in the electrical
system. There are many unknowns that car engineers must consider about the
nature of how people use their cars. They must anticipate that at a user
may want to blast their stereo, use a cell-phone, rear-window defogger,
high-beams on, dome-light on, etc. all at the same time (and keep the
battery fully charged!). Thererfore, all cars are designed with excess
current capacity that ranges from 20 amps to 50 amps. By this I mean excess
current above and beyond what is needed to simply keep the car running and
the battery charged (meaning keeping the voltage above 12 volts).

So, as was already stated by Matt and Enigma, there will be NO PROBLEM
whatsover wit hrunning those video systems.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Especially if you use ghetto video gear in your car that runs off its own
battery pack.

Yes, exactly right, Howdy. Especially if you use Ghetto video gear.

MOSFET
(I have no idea what he's talking about)

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy Captain Howdy is offline

You know something like a Magnavox 7” portable DVD player that you can just
duct tape on your dash and run off it's battery pack. Something like this
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...999/2359697_15.
jpg

In article , "MOSFET"
wrote:
Especially if you use ghetto video gear in your car that runs off its own
battery pack.

Yes, exactly right, Howdy. Especially if you use Ghetto video gear.

MOSFET
(I have no idea what he's talking about)

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

LOL

"This Image Temporarily Unavailable"

No, I wouldn't think a picture of those words would play video very well.
Hmmmm.

MOSFET

wrote:
Especially if you use ghetto video gear in your car that runs off its
own
battery pack.

Yes, exactly right, Howdy. Especially if you use Ghetto video gear.

MOSFET
(I have no idea what he's talking about)

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy Captain Howdy is offline

There you go, you can see it nice and clear in this clown mobile. The rating
that people have given this clown mobile speaks for itself.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2359697

wrote:
Especially if you use ghetto video gear in your car that runs off its
own
battery pack.

Yes, exactly right, Howdy. Especially if you use Ghetto video gear.

MOSFET
(I have no idea what he's talking about)

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Hmmm. It had one car audio rating yesterday and it had five stars. Now
there are two car audio ratings and it has three stars. Hmmmmm. I wonder
who just gave me one star and made the average three? Hmmmm. Let me
think.....

Frankly, I don't care what my rating is? That's NOT why I put my car on
CarDomain. Do you have a car there? What's your site address. Afraid to
give to to us?

Come one, Howdy, throw down, boy! What is it?

wrote:
LOL

"This Image Temporarily Unavailable"

No, I wouldn't think a picture of those words would play video very well.
Hmmmm.

MOSFET

.. .

wrote:
Especially if you use ghetto video gear in your car that runs off its
own
battery pack.

Yes, exactly right, Howdy. Especially if you use Ghetto video gear.

MOSFET
(I have no idea what he's talking about)

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Is this you?!?!??!?!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/763288/1

And you're making fun of me?!?!?!?!? I'm living in the Bizaro world if so.
That has got to be the UGLIEST car I have EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE!!! And what
is it, a '72 or something. Geez, the **** I take from you, and then THIS is
your car? Man!!!!

wrote:
Especially if you use ghetto video gear in your car that runs off its
own
battery pack.

Yes, exactly right, Howdy. Especially if you use Ghetto video gear.

MOSFET
(I have no idea what he's talking about)

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy Captain Howdy is offline

I have to say that I did rate your system a while back. It wouldn't let me
rate it twice, So your system sucks one ball instead of two. My site address
is here look it up and feel free to rate it as you will.

wrote:
LOL

"This Image Temporarily Unavailable"

No, I wouldn't think a picture of those words would play video very well.
Hmmmm.

MOSFET

. ..

wrote:
Especially if you use ghetto video gear in your car that runs off its
own
battery pack.

Yes, exactly right, Howdy. Especially if you use Ghetto video gear.

MOSFET
(I have no idea what he's talking about)

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy Captain Howdy is offline

No that's not me. Don't even get me started with your forester that you have
to share with your wife.

wrote:
Especially if you use ghetto video gear in your car that runs off its
own
battery pack.

Yes, exactly right, Howdy. Especially if you use Ghetto video gear.

MOSFET
(I have no idea what he's talking about)

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

"My site address
is here look it up and feel free to rate it as you will.

Where? Afraid?

MOSFET