Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

Default Acoustat MK-121-B

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 15:30:49 -0700, wrote
(in article ):

Harry Lavo wrote:

One of the reasons to support Thiel....they make great speakers and they
still care about their 25 year old speakers.

There are those with classic horn speakers from the 50s and 60s who
appreciate the dynamic range and low distortion. Perhaps those are worth
taking care of if, you like the sound. Yet, I wonder if any 25 year old
box speaker can match what is made today? Obviously, the cost of repair
might be significantly less than purchasing anything new. Budget is always
a consideration, and it is much easier to re-foam a woofer, or replace a
tweeter, than an electrostatic panel, even if you can find a replacement.

I'm guessing that a company like McIntosh will support older products.

They sure used to. At one time, official McIntosh dealers would hold
amplifier "clinics" in which factory technicians with a truckload of
equipment would set-up in a dealer's premisses and would check-out, adjust
and repair - without cost (!) any McIntosh amp or preamp brought in by its
owner, regardless of age, and do so RIGHT THERE. If the amp needed new output
tubes, it got new output tubes. If it needed new capacitors, it got new
capacitors. That's what I call customer service. Of course, they stopped
doing that sometime in the 1970's.

Pride of ownership cannot be discounted for that type of gear--an old
McIntosh amp or tuner is something you might actually want to own. A 30
year old Mac speaker is altogether different. If I owned one I would
probably keep it. First, who today would want it? Secondly, if you found
someone that did, they would proably not give you much for it--considering
what they cost new. If I were looking to buy, I'd never consider such a
thing.

I recently had a chance to live with a set of Acoustat model 3s for a few
weeks (before a friend sold them). I let him "store" them in my living
room, as I wanted to relive the experience, and he didn't mind. The sound
was as I remembered...OK in the context of an 80s speaker, but given their
limitations (size, problematic room requirements, limited listening
position, and overall weird look) I didn't much see the point.

You have a point. I had a pair of Acoustat Spectra 11s once and sold them
because their transformer wasn't very well designed and they would get
congested sounding as they got loud almost like a very poorly designed
broadcast limiter. The music would build to a crescendo, but at some point
would stop getting louder (even though it was supposed to) and each increase
in orchestra output would result in nothing but more and more distortion
until ultimately, they became unlistenable unless one turned the volume down
to point where the amp was no longer overloading the transformer. Not very
useful by today's standards.

Acoustat GregS Tech 0 October 24th 06 02:10 PM
FS: ACOUSTAT PARTS Bmarti2000 Marketplace 0 September 4th 04 09:39 PM
FS/ACOUSTAT 2+2 $650 Bmarti2000 Marketplace 2 September 2nd 04 12:47 AM
ACOUSTAT 2+2 $800 Bmarti2000 Marketplace 0 April 5th 04 02:26 AM
ACOUSTAT 2+2 $800 Bmarti2000 Marketplace 0 April 5th 04 02:26 AM