Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Robert Peirce Robert Peirce is offline

Default Is there way to convince Macs Audio MIDI Setup p

I asked this in comp.sys.mac. misc but I just thought somebody in
rec.audo.high-end might have a solution.

I have 6600 tracks encoded at 192kHz with Pure Vinyl and bookmarked in
iTunes. I have a DAC that can accept a 192kHz signal and downsample it
to its native rate of 96kHz, BUT the DAC shows up in AMS as 96kHz. Pure
Music sees this and downsamples the signal to 96kHz. HOWEVER, for
reasons known only to Rob Robinson, a downsampled signal can only be
played from disk and a bookmark can only be played from memory. Hence,
nothing!

At this point there is no way to get the DAC to say it is 192kHz and the
only idea I have is to convince AMS the DAC can accept 192kHz even tho
it seems as if it cant. Does anybody know of a way to do that?
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On 10/6/18 11:10 AM, Robert Peirce wrote:
I have 6600 tracks encoded at 192kHz with Pure Vinyl and bookmarked in
iTunes.Â*Â* I have a DAC that can accept a 192kHz signal and downsample it
to its native rate of 96kHz, BUT the DAC shows up in AMS as 96kHz.Â* Pure
Music sees this and downsamples the signal to 96kHz.Â* HOWEVER, for
reasons known only to Rob Robinson, a downsampled signal can only be
played from disk and a bookmark can only be played from memory.Â* Hence,
nothing!

This works but it is hardly obvious. I created an aggregate device in
Audio MIDI Setup that contains both DACs. I made the 192kHz DAC the
Clock source and set it to 192kHz. I made the 96kHz DAC the output DAC.
I made the aggregate the output in Pure Musics audio setup.

I am not a software guru so Im only guessing but I think the 192kHz DAC
is telling Pure Music it is okay to send the audio aggregate a 192kHz
signal and that signal is being sent to the 96kHz DAC, which is capable
of playing 192kHz signals if you can get them to it. I have searched
the internet and can find no explanation of how audio aggregates
actually work, so this is pure guess-work.