Rich Fisher

Default Advice on Internet Radio Station Startup Requested

Hello, I interested in any resources one might share regarding the
creation of an internet radio station. I have no less than 6
interested parties to assist with programming (sports and politics
mainly) and am in the process of building a very nice home studio.

I am not going into this to make money (obviously) and while I wont
say money is no object, I have plenty of start up capital.

Any information that one might share regarding requirements and / or
advice is most appreciated.

- Equipment: Whats required, whats nice to have, what brands, best or
good mics, phone lines, software, licenses for offair music, etc.

- Station "license" - whats the best way to go about getting online,
realplayer? QT?

These and any advice or if your in the Kansas City area (or even if
your not)and are interested in contributing, please shoot me an email.

Thank you,

Rich
Passion Radio

Hi Rich,

The basics you need are a computer with a soundcard and a broadband internet
connection. Professional soundcards are nice, but not necessary. You can
use an ordinary soundblaster if needs be.

Currently, Passion is running shoutcast servers www.shoutcast.com you can
run your own (if your net connection is fast enough, or go to another
provider such as www.planetwideradio.com to get your bandwidth)

Plug your studio gear into the soundcard, click encode, and you're live to
the world. If you're mainly doing speech based programming you won't need
to worry about music licencing, but if you're using music you'll need to
check out what your country's rules are. You may find www.kurthanson.com
useful in that respect.

Hope that helps as a starter.

Simon

www.passion.fm - the uk's home of classic dance in Broadband 128k Stereo!

"Rich Fisher" wrote in message
om...
[...]

John L Rice

[...]

Telos has some products that may interest you :
http://www.telos-systems.com/

Also do a Google search on 'internet radio station setup' if you haven't
yet.

Best of luck!

John L Rice

Greg and Joan

I am a layman... but...

there is a concept used by many colleges called "leaky cable". I don't know
the details on that, but it basically involves transmission over wires but
the escaped signal is strong enough so it can be picked up by listeners on
campus. You could also start a "Part 15" station - which is very low
power -- you may have to have two or three boosters on campus, but it's
also a legal method of transmission.

Keep in mind, there are some in the broadcasting industry that would rather
you NOT know these things... and they'd prefer you confine your broadcasting
to the 'net.

And if you do get on the air in a legal fashion - under Part 15 or leaky
cable -- do not be surprised if you get complaints from other stations -- or
even campus neighbors coming out of the blue to complain.

Up this way (Portsmouth, New Hampshire) - an LPFM licensee is being given a
ration of grief by community groups - that the LPFM intends to serve -- over
placing a stick antenna on the roof of a building in downtown Portsmouth.
Apparently some of the station's opponents are, coincidentally complaining
that it might cause interference with other stations.

I wonder who's been talking with them, hmmmm????? At least the "Look Out
Below!" campaign hasn't been used in Portsmouth yet.