Scott Speck

Default Need help with speaker/bass problem

Hello Everyone,

First I'll describe my equipment/setup, followed by my problem. All of this
equipment is less than a week old.

Electronics:
Audiosource Model 2 Amp (80 w/ch)
Audiosource Preamp
XM Radio Receiver
Sony dvd player

Speakers:
Cambridge Soundworks M80 bookshelf
(bass reflex design, with 2 rear vents/speaker)

Speaker Cable:
monster cable

Setup:
All electronics are stacked on one bookshelf in a bookcase. Each speaker
is on top of a different bookcase, right near the ceiling, and only inches
from the wall.

History:
Before setting things up as described above, I had the speakers sitting on
the floor for a few days, and everything worked fine. However, after
setting up the system as I recounted, I noted that there seemed to be
no bass coming from the speakers. However, when I moved the right
speaker another half inch away from the wall, the bass began to play. I
pushed the speaker back a half inch, the bass cut out! Same behavior
with the left speaker! I thought that perhaps the wiring job wasn't good
into the speakers. The monster cables have hard gold-plated pins, not
flexible multi-strand wire, and I found that the (-) pin was a little loose
when I turned the left speaker around, so I thought that I must have
been tensioning/untensioning the wire as I moved the speaker
to/from the wall, and thus causing the connection to "partially" connect/
unconnect as I did so. I thought of cutting OFF the cable ends, thus
exposing lots of multi-strand copper and connecting THAT to the
speaker, assuring a good connection over a larger conductive surface
area, but I'm not sure if that would help. I then reconnected both sets
of wires, and the left speaker wouldn't play bass no matter WHERE I
placed it in relation to the wall (on top of the bookcase). I then
unpowered things and took a resistance meter and found that there
was zero resistance between each speaker connector and its respective
monster cable "tip". Also, the resistance across the speaker terminals
was 8 Ohms, as expected. I then re-powered the system, and
everything has been working fine ever since. I just can't help but
think that something is still wrong with my system, and I don't know
what it could be. I called Cambridge, but they had a cookie-cutter
techie help me out who had no idea what could be wrong, though
he offered to exchange the speakers. I don't want to do that until I'm
sure of what the problem is. Because the speakers are rear-vented, I
wondered if it was some sort of standing wave issue with the wall, but,
sometimes, during my experimentation, when I pulled the speaker a
couple FEET from the wall, the bass never cut back in.
Thanks for any help! Please send any replies to me directly
at .

Thanks, and have a nice day,
Scott Speck