Jari Jokinen

Default Mono recording question

I want to make recordings to a cd-recorder using a single omni microphone
and M-Audio USB Duo stereo audio interface/mic preamp. With y-cable I can
split left or right line out from Duo to be fed to the left and right inputs
of the cd-recorder. I would prefer to use coaxial S/PDIF, but then the
signal appears only on left or right channel. Is there a simple and cheap
way to overcome this?

Another question:
When using a stereo microphone (Rode NT4) I find it hard to match left and
right gain levels using the two pots of the Duo. How is this usually done?
Do the more expensive mic preamps have stepped pots? Otherwise I am quite
happy with the Duo as I need just gain with no compression etc.

Jari Jokinen

Richard Crowley

"Jari Jokinen" wrote ...
I want to make recordings to a cd-recorder using a
single omni microphone and M-Audio USB Duo
stereo audio interface/mic preamp. With y-cable I
can split left or right line out from Duo to be fed to
the left and right inputs of the cd-recorder. I would
prefer to use coaxial S/PDIF, but then the signal
appears only on left or right channel. Is there a
simple and cheap way to overcome this?

Do you mean you are making live recordings to a hardware
CD recorder, or that you are recording on a computer and
then writing CDR disks?

If the former, you are likely stuck. If the later, you may
have some control in the sound interface drivers.

Arny Krueger

"Jari Jokinen" wrote in message

I want to make recordings to a cd-recorder using a single omni
microphone and M-Audio USB Duo stereo audio interface/mic preamp.
With y-cable I can split left or right line out from Duo to be fed to
the left and right inputs of the cd-recorder. I would prefer to use
coaxial S/PDIF, but then the signal appears only on left or right
channel. Is there a simple and cheap way to overcome this?

I presume that you are making the recording on the PC, and then transferring
it to a stand-alone CD recorder, right?

Another question:
When using a stereo microphone (Rode NT4) I find it hard to match
left and right gain levels using the two pots of the Duo. How is this
usually done?

It isn't. The purpose of a stereo microphone is to record two different
acoustical events, even if that event is two different acoustical
interpretations of the same person speaking. Therefore it is illogical to
expect the two channel outputs of the microphone to be the same, and it's
illogical to expect them to have the identical same level.

Do the more expensive mic preamps have stepped pots?

They do, but it doesn't help make the two channels more identical. Because
the steps are often far larger than the minimum resoluion of ordinary level
controls, there is even less likelihood that you will be able to make the
two channels the identical same level.

Otherwise I am quite happy with the Duo as I need just gain with no
compression etc.

If you want to record something in mono, just record one channel of it, and
make the two channels be identical with an audio editor.

Jari Jokinen

I am making live recordings without editing - I need the finished "product"
right out of the cd-burner. I should have mentioned that.

Jari Jokinen

"Richard Crowley" kirjoitti
"Jari Jokinen" wrote ...
I want to make recordings to a cd-recorder using a
single omni microphone and M-Audio USB Duo
stereo audio interface/mic preamp. With y-cable I
can split left or right line out from Duo to be fed to
the left and right inputs of the cd-recorder. I would
prefer to use coaxial S/PDIF, but then the signal
appears only on left or right channel. Is there a
simple and cheap way to overcome this?

Do you mean you are making live recordings to a hardware
CD recorder, or that you are recording on a computer and
then writing CDR disks?

If the former, you are likely stuck. If the later, you may
have some control in the sound interface drivers.

Jari Jokinen

"Arny Krueger" kirjoitti
"Jari Jokinen" wrote in message

I want to make recordings to a cd-recorder using a single omni
microphone and M-Audio USB Duo stereo audio interface/mic preamp.
With y-cable I can split left or right line out from Duo to be fed to
the left and right inputs of the cd-recorder. I would prefer to use
coaxial S/PDIF, but then the signal appears only on left or right
channel. Is there a simple and cheap way to overcome this?

I presume that you are making the recording on the PC, and then

transferring
it to a stand-alone CD recorder, right?

Thanks for responses. These will be temporary recordings only. I need to get
all quickly done without computer.

Another question:
When using a stereo microphone (Rode NT4) I find it hard to match
left and right gain levels using the two pots of the Duo. How is this
usually done?

It isn't. The purpose of a stereo microphone is to record two different
acoustical events, even if that event is two different acoustical
interpretations of the same person speaking. Therefore it is illogical to
expect the two channel outputs of the microphone to be the same, and it's
illogical to expect them to have the identical same level.

I just want to set gain (or sensitivity) of left and right channels to same
level - like human ears. Of course the output levels will vary.

Do the more expensive mic preamps have stepped pots?

They do, but it doesn't help make the two channels more identical. Because
the steps are often far larger than the minimum resoluion of ordinary

level
controls, there is even less likelihood that you will be able to make the
two channels the identical same level.

Otherwise I am quite happy with the Duo as I need just gain with no
compression etc.

If you want to record something in mono, just record one channel of it,

and
make the two channels be identical with an audio editor.

Richard Crowley

"Jari Jokinen" wrote ...
I want to make recordings to a cd-recorder using a single
omni microphone and M-Audio USB Duo stereo audio
interface/mic preamp. With y-cable I can split left or right
line out from Duo to be fed to the left and right inputs of the
cd-recorder. I would prefer to use coaxial S/PDIF, but then
the signal appears only on left or right channel. Is there a
simple and cheap way to overcome this?

Use a "Y-cable" to feed your microphone INto both the mic
inputs on the M-Audio USB Duo. Simple and cheap.

When using a stereo microphone (Rode NT4) I find it
hard to match left and right gain levels using the two
pots of the Duo. How is this usually done?

You will likely never achieve precise L/R matching, so don't
worry about it. If "these are temporary recordings" its not clear
why it is that important anyway.

Jari Jokinen

"Richard Crowley" kirjoitti
"Jari Jokinen" wrote ...
I want to make recordings to a cd-recorder using a single
omni microphone and M-Audio USB Duo stereo audio
interface/mic preamp. With y-cable I can split left or right
line out from Duo to be fed to the left and right inputs of the
cd-recorder. I would prefer to use coaxial S/PDIF, but then
the signal appears only on left or right channel. Is there a
simple and cheap way to overcome this?

Use a "Y-cable" to feed your microphone INto both the mic
inputs on the M-Audio USB Duo. Simple and cheap.

Yes. That's was also recommended in rec.audio.pro.

When using a stereo microphone (Rode NT4) I find it
hard to match left and right gain levels using the two
pots of the Duo. How is this usually done?

You will likely never achieve precise L/R matching, so don't
worry about it. If "these are temporary recordings" its not clear
why it is that important anyway.

The stereo mic recordings will be more serious