Matt

Default Recommended sound cards to record audio input?

I am looking for recommendations for soundcards under $50 that can do
a good job of recording my audio input--which in my case would mostly
be the output from my XM Delphi SkyFi radio (which has a simple
audio-mini-jack output).

More details:

My builtin soundcard on my Powerspec.com desktop PC worked extremely
well for this...until I shorted it out one day accidently. I replaced
it with a Philips PSC604 card, but this new card's recording (and
playback) gain/amplitude really stinks. I can't hear well the
recordings I use with this card. See the quoted post below for more
details.

Fyi: I use the LAPSaudio software ( http://www.lapsaudio.com/ ) for
the recording, and like I mentioned earlier, it seemed to work really
well before I friend my builtin soundcard (which happened when I
shorted it accidently with a screw driver...and there was a big spark
and everything). I will probably use CoolEdit for the resulting
digital-audio file editing necessary after recording a long stream of
audio/music.

I'm willing to possibly go to $100 on the soundcard if need be, but
would need some convincing.

Thanks for any help/advice/suggestions!
Matt
--
Remove the obvious text (including the dash) to email me.

PS: this is the thread/post I made previously regarding my
poor-preforming Philips soundcard:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=au...x.co m&rnum=6

From: Matt )
Subject: Fix poor input/outpu gain on Philips PSC604 Soundcard?
Alternatives?
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.music, rec.audio.tech
Date: 2004-01-11 21:47:19 PST

soundcard? If not, can anyone recommend alternative soundcards that I
can get in a retail store (Bestbuy, CktCity, CompUSA) or online if the
retails shops don't have anything decent enough?

More details:

I have a PHILIPS 4.1 SOUNDCARD DYNAMIC EDGE PSC604 in my desktop WinXP
PC. This was an add-in card, because I broke (by shorting out) the
default sound card that was/is built into the motherboard. I used the
original/built-in soundcard for both music playback and input
recording (namely for XM-radio channel recording), and this built-in
soundcard worked extremely well for these applicatoins.

Now that I'm using this Philips card, both my input recordings and my
output playback are very quiet. Quiet enough where I simply can't
record anything of any quality from my XM anymore (at least with this
system), and I have to crank up my receiver (that my computer feeds)
in order to get necessary sound from my computer audio. (This of
course is after I've maximized the audio output via the computer's
audio controls.)

Is there any way I can just the input and output "gains" for this
soundcard?

Alternatively, can anyone recommend any other cards? I *really* want
to get back to recording some of my XM channels asap.

Thanks for any help!
Matt
--
Remove the obvious text (including the dash) to email me.
Matt

I forgot to mention: I'm using a WinXP desktop PC, 1.6 GHz, 768 MB
memory, plenty of disk space for hours/days of recording.

Here's a link to the precise specs on this PC:
http://www.powerspec.com/systems/arc...selection=8351

-Matt

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 00:51:58 GMT, Matt
wrote:

I am looking for recommendations for soundcards under $50 that can do
a good job of recording my audio input--which in my case would mostly
be the output from my XM Delphi SkyFi radio (which has a simple
audio-mini-jack output).

--
Remove the obvious text (including the dash) to email me.

Arny Krueger

"Matt" wrote in message

I am looking for recommendations for soundcards under $50 that can do
a good job of recording my audio input--which in my case would mostly
be the output from my XM Delphi SkyFi radio (which has a simple
audio-mini-jack output).

You might want to try a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, recently about $40 at
Comp/USA's web site and stores.

David White

"Matt" wrote in message
I am looking for recommendations for soundcards under $50 that can do
a good job of recording my audio input--which in my case would mostly
be the output from my XM Delphi SkyFi radio (which has a simple
audio-mini-jack output).

I use the cheap, basic Soundblaster that came with my computer. I've heard
that you need better cards than this to get a high quality, low noise input,
but I haven't noticed any noise or noticeable loss in quality. Either my
ears are shot (I don't think so), I got lucky with the particular card they
installed, or it's a myth that cheap cards aren't good enough.

David

Arny Krueger

"David White" wrote in message

"Matt" wrote in message

I am looking for recommendations for soundcards under $50 that can do
a good job of recording my audio input--which in my case would mostly
be the output from my XM Delphi SkyFi radio (which has a simple
audio-mini-jack output).

I use the cheap, basic Soundblaster that came with my computer. I've
heard that you need better cards than this to get a high quality, low
noise input, but I haven't noticed any noise or noticeable loss in
quality. Either my ears are shot (I don't think so), I got lucky with
the particular card they installed, or it's a myth that cheap cards
aren't good enough.

Depends which SoundBlaster, The Audigy series corrects the audible flaws in
the Live! series.

Most of the higher-end cards are designed for audio production. Cards used
in audio production need to perform to a higher standard because music may
be routed through them repeatedly. They also involve higher voltage levels
and lower impedances.

JmS

Depends which SoundBlaster, The Audigy series corrects the audible flaws
in
the Live! series.

It doesn't matter in this case what soundblaster.
The OP is recording his SkyFi radio.
Any soundcard will do.

JmS

Depends which SoundBlaster, The Audigy series corrects the audible flaws
in
the Live! series.

It doesn't matter in this case what soundblaster.
The OP is recording his SkyFi radio.
Any soundcard will do.

How to record SOIL or SEVENDUST guitar sound / JOHNNY K can you save me! Josh Pro Audio 0 April 1st 04 02:18 PM
Mic Questions Twist Turner Pro Audio 22 November 25th 03 03:04 AM
new realtime audio morphing software - opinions? tahome Pro Audio 0 November 17th 03 08:29 AM
High end sound from computer Tim in Los Angeles High End Audio 36 November 2nd 03 07:55 AM
Why DBTs in audio do not deliver (was: Finally ... The Furutech CD-do-something) Bob Marcus High End Audio 313 September 9th 03 01:17 AM