Lars Farm

Default Sennheiser mkh 50

What would be a fair price for a used pair?

Are the hypercardioids OK for chamber music, choir, church organ etc
mostly in reverberant, acustically live large rooms (a.k.a. churches:-)?

How does one determine that a used set of mics are OK?

/L

--
lars farm // http://www.farm.se mail-to user:lars doman:farm.se
Scott Dorsey

Lars Farm wrote:
What would be a fair price for a used pair?

I don't know. Someone here said he was being offered the figure-8 version
for $400, which seems like a steal to me.

Are the hypercardioids OK for chamber music, choir, church organ etc
mostly in reverberant, acustically live large rooms (a.k.a. churches:-)?

Yes. They are quieter than the Schoeps but have a little lower midrange
weirdness that the Schoeps don't have. The hypercardioid is a good choice
in a lot of very live rooms.

How does one determine that a used set of mics are OK?

On the Sennheisers, they pretty much work or don't work. You can ship
them to Sennheiser or to an independant lab for testing, but they are
less likely to fail in subtle ways than most mikes.

Daniel Fuchs

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Yes. They are quieter than the Schoeps but have a little lower midrange
weirdness that the Schoeps don't have. The hypercardioid is a good choice
in a lot of very live rooms.

I don't really think I'd use them as a stereo pair, but I haven't
actually tried. I have one that makes a good spot mike, though...

On the Sennheisers, they pretty much work or don't work. You can ship
them to Sennheiser or to an independant lab for testing, but they are
less likely to fail in subtle ways than most mikes.

A friend's MKH 20s have done so and eventually sounded a lot better
after some kind of repair/service... Don't recall the details, though.

Daniel