AlanW1, UK

Default Choosing a used, low-cost, but good amp for my near field monitors

I'm doing some milti-track recording at home, and need to obtain an
amplifier to power a pair of near field monitors (possibly Tannoy
Reveals) which I'll be using for mix-downs. I'm on a very tight budget
at present, so I'm looking at second-hand hi-fi amps. A local junk
shop usually has a selection of them. I gather the amp needs to be
flat-response i.e., uncoloured, accurate and clear. I don't need to
use the amp at high volumes - just loud enough to hear what's going
on. Can anyone give me any tips on selecting one? I'm not a hi-fi
buff, despite my recording
pursuits.

For example, any features (or controls) I should look for?
Older (and therefore cheaper) amps OK?
Tuner amps OK?
How many watts per channel?

Many thanks for any suggestions, and sorry to sound like a cheapskate!

Alan W
AlanW1, UK

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 23:21:25 GMT, Bryan Beasleigh
wrote:

I would think a basic NAD or Rotel would be great. I use a Quad 34
with a 306 amp (50 watt per side.)

Hi Bryan, Thanks... yes, I've seen quite a few used NADs recently.

But there's a new development if anyone would kindly advise...

I've just ordered a pair of Tannoy Reveal passive monitors. *And*...
I've just discovered that I've already got an amp that would work -
but would it be suitable? It's a cheap Bush mini hi-fi system (MN33RM)
It has the connectors I need: two phono jacks and an aux switch. I
guess the wattage is very low (it doesn't state the wattage, but I
guess it's low). But the volume I want to use it at will be low; just
loud enough to monitor my mixes. Would it be suitable? If not, why
not? Thanks!

AlanW

AlanW1

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 16:28:10 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

"AlanW1, UK" wrote in message

I've just ordered a pair of Tannoy Reveal passive monitors. *And*...
I've just discovered that I've already got an amp that would work -
but would it be suitable? It's a cheap Bush mini hi-fi system (MN33RM)
It has the connectors I need: two phono jacks and an aux switch. I
guess the wattage is very low (it doesn't state the wattage, but I
guess it's low). But the volume I want to use it at will be low; just
loud enough to monitor my mixes. Would it be suitable? If not, why
not? Thanks!

http://www.christmas-guide.co.uk/Bus...stem-57909.htm

This is a cheap plastic rack system. I've taken items like these apart, and
didn't find one part worth saving.

Some people say "Don't knock what you haven't listened to".

I think there are parts of the bottom where even the bravest don't feed for
fear of being poisoned by rotten garbage..

Arny, and the others, thanks for the input. I'll take your word for it
that the Bush thing is inappropriately naff. I don't have much
experience with "better" hi-fi amps, so I've never had the chance to
compare them with a cheap one like this Bush thing - I'm primarily a
musician dabbling in recording gear. I do want to make the most of
these Tannoys, so I'm willing to pay out for a suitable used amp and
I'm putting my faith in the advice of you guys who have more
experience than me.

AlanW

Bryan Beasleigh

Not to be a smart ass, but if you use that Bush system you could save
your self the cost of the tannoy's, you can have a matched system.

Essentially you'd be dragging a decent speaker waaaaaaaaaaay down to
the level of the plastic. I'm really trying to be kind, but why even
bother if you can't tell the difference.

wrote:

"AlanW1, UK" wrote in message

I've just ordered a pair of Tannoy Reveal passive monitors. *And*...
I've just discovered that I've already got an amp that would work -
but would it be suitable? It's a cheap Bush mini hi-fi system (MN33RM)
It has the connectors I need: two phono jacks and an aux switch. I
guess the wattage is very low (it doesn't state the wattage, but I
guess it's low). But the volume I want to use it at will be low; just
loud enough to monitor my mixes. Would it be suitable? If not, why
not? Thanks!

http://www.christmas-guide.co.uk/Bus...stem-57909.htm

This is a cheap plastic rack system. I've taken items like these apart, and
didn't find one part worth saving.

Some people say "Don't knock what you haven't listened to".

I think there are parts of the bottom where even the bravest don't feed for
fear of being poisoned by rotten garbage..

Eric Desrochers

AlanW1 (UK) wrote:

Will, Thanks for the suggestion but they are not so common here in the
UK on the used goods market. I see a lot more Technics, NADs, Pioneer,
Kenwood, JVC, Sony, and others but not many Haflers.

I was about to suggest an Adcom GFA 535. Hell, I actually have one I
was about to offer you until I saw that you are in the UK. Shipping
would be a killer, I guess.

Several (actually most) brand of fine hifi amps are from your side of
the pond : Arcam, Rotel, Sugden, Naim, Nad, etc.

--
Eric (Dero) Desrochers
http://homepage.mac.com/dero72

Hiroshima 45, Tchernobyl 86, Windows 95

Garrett Cox

mmmmhmmmm Love that Bush. Well if you're dropping 300 on a set of
Tannoy Reveals I would spend an equal ammount on an amp. I can't say
what you should since it's entirely up to you but you might want to
look in the used market for something like a Krell or Bryston. The
Brystons are nice IMHO. Plus if you get a used one they ship with 20
year warranty so it's no real worry about what you're getting. I've
used the Brystons with the Reveals and I think they sing quite well. I
guess think of it as you're only as strong as your weakest link.

cheers

garrett