I Care

In article , rickpv8945
@aol.com says...

I've actually seen a couple people use WD-40 on a sctachy pot. I've
never tried it myself for fear of gunking it up but it did make it
quiet. I don't know what happened later. Is it as bad as I think it
would be?? I'm afraid to try it on anything I own.

bob

I used it on an entire board once. It was good for about three months and then
was worse than ever.

I cleaned it out with DeOxit and haven't had a problem since.

I don't care what it's made of, WD40 is not good on potentiometers.

Not a very good lubricant either, ( the can doesn't say that it is a lubricant,
either) but works fine as a grease remover.

That's what I was told also. When I look at the web site for the WD-40
Big Blast can:

www.wd40.com/Brands/wd40_big_glast.html

The can states:

"Cleans and Protects
Lubricates
Drives Out Moisture
Prevents Rust
Keeps Dirt and Debris
from Sticking"

I believe that WD stands for water Displacement and for that, it works very
well.

Richard H. Kuschel

I know we didn't use it in any electronic equipment I worked on in my 35
+ electronics career, unless it was for mechanical latches, screws etc.
--
I. Care
Address fake until
Geoff Wood

I Care wrote:

I know we didn't use it in any electronic equipment I worked on in my
35 + electronics career, unless it was for mechanical latches, screws
etc.

It should be good for constipation too ...

geoff

Chris Hornbeck

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 23:54:17 GMT, Chris Hornbeck
wrote:

Forces "act" to balance themselves, and your point if amplified
will go a long way toward removing the current/ voltage
confusion.

Forgot to mention that the IDIOT Mike Rivers had already
parroted this in a parallel thread, and left it as an
exercise for the (interested) student, but with no takers:

" Love and Marriage. "You can't have one without the other.""

which is the crux of the biscuit. But an apostrophe is
without credits in his own hand, or something.

Chris Hornbeck
"That's where my forebears came from;
well, three of them anyway.
Who's been sleeping in my porridge?"
-Flanders and Swann

Phil Allison

"mr c deckard"
Phil Allison:

** Currents have direction - voltages have polarity.

ok, got that. but what about when the cable runs next to an AC
transformer? that's the part that i don't quite get -- i don't see
how it could induce current in one conductor in opposite direction
with
the other. could you explain?

** This is * sooooooo * simple it is painful to have to explain it.

Current can only flow in a *closed circuit* or *continuous wire loop* and
it can only flow in one direction **AROUND THAT LOOP** at any point in time.
In the case of a two conductor cable the loop has been pulled out and made
long - nevertheless it is still a loop. A varying magnetic field will
induce a current to flow in a CLOSED loop in either the clockwise or anti
clockwise direction at any particular instant.

NOW - wait for it !! If you view only the middle part of a stretched
out loop is SEEMS that TWO currents are flowing in opposite directions when
there is only ONE travelling AROUND the loop.

More precisely - the magnetic field actually induces a *voltage* in the
loop the magnitude of which depends on the size ( the amount of open area)
of the loop and the strength of the field. If the loop were broken at some
point this voltage can be measured between the ends with a suitable meter.
In my example, the mic pre-amp is such a meter, monitoring the induced
voltage from moment to moment at the break and amplifying it.

............. Phil

mr c deckard

You just explained it perfectly. Induction causes a voltage.

heh, then i have a physics book for sale. as is, 'cause it's busted.

Instead,
it's just that the magnetic field makes the electrons want to move
in a certain direction. If there is nowhere for them to go, they
won't move. If there is, they will, and the amount they move will
be related to how much they are impeded along the path they travel
(which is just another way of saying Ohm's Law).

- Logan

so the electrons don't move yet (no impedance), although they're under
a force? is this different than an E field? that is, the little
picture in my busted physics book says the electrons move to one end
of the coil (under an E field).

cheers,
chris deckard
saint louis mo

Logan Shaw

mr c deckard wrote:
so the electrons don't move yet (no impedance), although they're under
a force? is this different than an E field? that is, the little
picture in my busted physics book says the electrons move to one end
of the coil (under an E field).

Well, OK, they move. There is nothing stopping them from moving down
the wire, except when too many of them bunch up at the end and the
like charges start to repel too much. They just can't leave the wire[1].
If you consider the transformer as a unit (which is what I was doing),
they don't move. If you think about what's going on within the
transformer coil, then I guess they do move.

- Logan

[1] At least, not normally...

Mike Rivers

In article
(Old Whatsisname) writes:

[...]

Before I distract the troll and lead him off on another tangent, let me review
what we're talking about here. Are we talking about current flow in a single
circut and no longer discussing CMRR in a mic preamp? I thought we were
talking about the operation of a differential amplifier and how it provides
common mode rejection but this thread has been very distracting.

In the case of a differential mic preamp input ("balanced" as it's commonly
called), we have not one, but TWO loops (enginers call them "circuits"), one represented by each conductor of the cable. Noise voltage appearing at
each input of the amplifier with respect to a common node is, in the ideal
case, identical in both amplitude and polarity. The differential amplifier
subtracts the two voltages, resulting in cancellation of the noise. The
desired signal, on the other hand, is (in the ideal case) identical in amplitude
in both circuits but OPPOSITE in polarity. Summing these differentially
gives twice the amplitude of a single input signal, and no cancellation of the
desired signal.

But then if we've changed the subject, continue the discussion among
yourselves.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

Phil Allison

"Mike Rivers"

Phil Allison

** This is * sooooooo * simple it is painful to have to explain it.

Before I distract the troll and lead him off on another tangent,

** The pig ignorant NG parrot ** has** been busy Googling up some more
parrot droppings.

Give up Mike - you are ** waaaayyy ** out of your paddling pool depth
and DROWNING !!

............ Phil

hank alrich

S O'Neill wrote:

I rest my case.

It's like watching a snail walk across the lawn.

Well said; as legs are to a snake, so is a brain to Misser Assilon.

Single-minded, nothing
else going on for it, and what happens next is totally predictable.

Is there a serious chance that if we ignore this dip**** he'll crawl to
some other forum and **** it over with his trudging witlessness? We
could give it a try.

--
ha

mr c deckard

** This is * sooooooo * simple it is painful to have to explain it.

i understand that is is surely simple to someone with your degree of
sophistication, however, i do appreciate you taking the time to
explain.

NOW - wait for it !! If you view only the middle part of a stretched
out loop is SEEMS that TWO currents are flowing in opposite directions when
there is only ONE travelling AROUND the loop.

right, but the part where my understanding breaks down is he is
that the two wires in the mic cable running past the ac transformer --
since there is an impedance on both ends (the preamp on one, and the
mic on the other) -- become two coils, therefore, the voltage induced
would be in equal magnitude and polarity (regardless of the
current/voltage/charge in the wires from the mic), right?

could you explain where i went wrong?

thanks, and all the best,
chris deckard
saint louis mo

Phil Allison

"mr c deckard"

** This is * sooooooo * simple it is painful to have to explain it.

i understand that is is surely simple to someone with your degree of
sophistication, however, i do appreciate you taking the time to
explain.

NOW - wait for it !! If you view only the middle part of a

stretched
out loop is SEEMS that TWO currents are flowing in opposite directions

when
there is only ONE travelling AROUND the loop.

right, but the part where my understanding breaks down is he is
that the two wires in the mic cable running past the ac transformer --
since there is an impedance on both ends (the preamp on one, and the
mic on the other) -- become two coils,

** The loop formed by the mic, the two wires in the cable cable and the
preamp input is ONE circuit. It makes no difference to the induced VOLTAGE
seen by the pre-amp that there is a mic's voice coil connected in series.
Go and do the test I suggested with the length of wire - it is important to
first *KNOW* how nature behaves and then try to explain it to yourself.

.............. Phil

Roger W. Norman

What is Phil? Well, in terms of dirt, Phil is that layer that no one wants
but needs in order to base their higher levels of mental landscaping on.
Which means nothing, just as Phil does, but ends up being Phil Dirt.

What does Phil know? Well, he seems to have his mouth moving but I'm not so
sure that he's not just chewing his cud because it seems that Phil answers
questions, over time, who's answers contradict each other, but what do I
know? Well, I know I'm not Phil Dirt.

How does he express himself? He uses absolutely no reason behind his
extremely intelligent posts because he doesn't have intelligent posts. He
argues for the sake of arguing yet not actually knows of what he argues. He
lambasts those that do know because he doesn't know, yet again showing that
he is Phil Dirt.

Garbage, buried years in the ground with a small layer of this guy will
ultimately burble up with a foul odor, emoting something of which it thinks
important, but only to be relagated to the realm of Phil Dirt as is sinks
lower into the abyss whilst those who walk over it complain about the smell.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"Michael" wrote in message
In article ,
says... [spewing of venom snipped]
Okay, I should've known it was flame-bait; I won't deal with
this Phil thing anymore.
---Michael (of APP)...

** What a pathetic imbecile.

.......... Phil

Roger W. Norman

Again, just Phil Dirt talking. No light oil is worth it's low viscousity in
lubricating moving parts, but it might be pretty good at killing parasites
on evergreens. If it just didn't dry up and kill the evergreens in the
process.

I suggest that

** Conductive plastic pots are have not taken over the market -

carbon
track ones are by far the most common and the most likely to become noisy.

is not a statement in fact, nor even a statement in and of itself. I've
never seen the english use of the combination of "are have" before. Now
perhaps it's just a typo, but one such as Phil Dirt couldn't possibly post
something he hadn't proof read, could he? Oh no, not Phil Dirt.

You realize, don't you Phil, that I'm saying you suck dirt into your mouth,
**** dirt out your asshole, and inbetween have absolutely no excuse for
having an existence except to keep dirt aerated? In fact, it appears that
you could walk under a worm with a top hat on and not have to duck.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"Scott Dorsey"
Phil Allison

"Scott Dorsey"

I really would appreciate it if you would quote properly.

** I already do.

You really should use the e-mail address like the RFC suggests.

* Nope - using names is correct.

WD-40 is a silicone oil in a light naptha vehicle.

** It **actually** says on the can: " CFC free. No silicone.

Propellant
CO2 ".

According to the MSDS that I have, it's full of cyclomethicone,

** Who cares what you *say* you have.

The makers say on the can there is "no silicone".

Capice?

The oil component is very similar to general purpose light oil.

I can believe it, and like a lot of cheap light oils, it crosslinks and
turns into varnish at high temperatures and in contact with air.

** What it *might* do at very high temps is not relevant to the purpose.

Over the course of a few days,
the naptha evaporates, leaving a gummy residue.

** The residue is light oil - ie a very common lubricant.

Sadly it's not very stable as a lubricant.

** Ambiguous drivel.

I would not use any of these on a pot, because of the possibility of
damaging conductive plastic elements with the solvent, though.

** So you have no evidence of any harm - just the usual anti-WD40
paranoia Yanks seem to all be infected with.

BTW As you said yourself, the solvent soon evaporates.

Most of the older "pot cleaning" solutions from the pre-plastic-element
days,

............ Phil

Roger W. Norman

Phil is a virus. Even doctors try to treat a virus with anti-bodies when
they know they won't work because anti-bodies are based on bacteria. Still,
they try.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

Roger W. Norman wrote:
[...]

mr c deckard

** The loop formed by the mic, the two wires in the cable cable and the
preamp input is ONE circuit. It makes no difference to the induced VOLTAGE
seen by the pre-amp that there is a mic's voice coil connected in series.
Go and do the test I suggested with the length of wire - it is important to
first *KNOW* how nature behaves and then try to explain it to yourself.

Phil, I understand it is one circuit -- but I understand the two wires
in the mic cable with impedances on either side to behave as seperate
coils.

Here's another experiment that I'll try: the 2 wires running next to
the AC transformer are symmetrical -- you could simulate this by
wiring 3 mics in series, but to maintain symmetry, mics 1 and 3 should
be opposite in polarity, right? I'll then set mics 1 and 3 next to an
AC transformer.

The studio is booked up untill tomorrow or so, so I won't be able to
do the experiment until then.

Cheers,
Chris Deckard
Saint Louis, Mo

Phil Allison

"mr c deckard"

** The loop formed by the mic, the two wires in the cable cable and the
preamp input is ONE circuit. It makes no difference to the induced

VOLTAGE
seen by the pre-amp that there is a mic's voice coil connected in

series.
Go and do the test I suggested with the length of wire - it is

important to
first *KNOW* how nature behaves and then try to explain it to yourself.

Phil, I understand it is one circuit -- but I understand the two wires
in the mic cable with impedances on either side to behave as seperate
coils.

** You seem not to "understand" anything.

Here's another experiment that I'll try: the 2 wires running next to
the AC transformer are symmetrical -- you could simulate this by
wiring 3 mics in series, but to maintain symmetry, mics 1 and 3 should
be opposite in polarity, right? I'll then set mics 1 and 3 next to an
AC transformer.

** The fairies and goblins are coming after you next.

........... Phil

mr c deckard

Phil, I understand it is one circuit -- but I understand the two wires
in the mic cable with impedances on either side to behave as seperate
coils.

** You seem not to "understand" anything.

well, my wording may have been a bit incorrect. perhaps i should say
that this is how i understand it. but i also don't understand why,
when you run a 20' cable from a preamp out to a mic, and 10' out it
runs by an AC xformer, the two wires wouldn't look like coils to the
magnetic field coming from the xformer. what am i missing?

Here's another experiment that I'll try: the 2 wires running next to
the AC transformer are symmetrical -- you could simulate this by
wiring 3 mics in series, but to maintain symmetry, mics 1 and 3 should
be opposite in polarity, right? I'll then set mics 1 and 3 next to an
AC transformer.

** The fairies and goblins are coming after you next.

does this mean you think that the results from that experiment would
be useless? this is how i understand the model of a preamp, cable,
and a mic. i'm following this thread to understand what is wrong with
that understanding, and what the correct one is, which you seem to
know, right?

i began setting up the experiment up tonight, and i did do a
preliminary experiment with my meter. i found that meter, set to read
current, detected a current. i found that my meter, set to read
voltage, detected a voltage. does this mean that a magnetic field
will induce current and voltage? or just voltage?

thanks again for your time and patience, phil. i've recently started
to dig into the physics behind all this stuff i use every day.

cheers,
chris deckard
saint louis mo

Phil Allison

"mr c deckard"

Phil, I understand it is one circuit -- but I understand the two wires
in the mic cable with impedances on either side to behave as seperate
coils.

** You seem not to "understand" anything.

well, my wording may have been a bit incorrect. perhaps i should say
that this is how i understand it. but i also don't understand why,
when you run a 20' cable from a preamp out to a mic, and 10' out it
runs by an AC xformer, the two wires wouldn't look like coils to the
magnetic field coming from the xformer. what am i missing?

** More than one circuit.

Here's another experiment that I'll try: the 2 wires running next to
the AC transformer are symmetrical -- you could simulate this by
wiring 3 mics in series, but to maintain symmetry, mics 1 and 3 should
be opposite in polarity, right? I'll then set mics 1 and 3 next to an
AC transformer.

** The fairies and goblins are coming after you next.

does this mean you think that the results from that experiment would
be useless?

** Yes.

this is how i understand the model of a preamp, cable,
and a mic. i'm following this thread to understand what is wrong with
that understanding, and what the correct one is, which you seem to
know, right?
i began setting up the experiment up tonight, and i did do a
preliminary experiment with my meter. i found that meter, set to read
current, detected a current. i found that my meter, set to read
voltage, detected a voltage. does this mean that a magnetic field
will induce current and voltage? or just voltage?

** You still need to figure out what a circuit is first.

thanks again for your time and patience, phil. i've recently started
to dig into the physics behind all this stuff i use every day.

** Can I beg you to please do the test as suggested with the loop and mic-
pre or desk plus headphones.

Your ears will tell you the results.

TonyP

"hank alrich" wrote in message
Is there a serious chance that if we ignore this dip**** he'll crawl to
some other forum and **** it over with his trudging witlessness? We
could give it a try.

They've been trying on Aus.Hi-Fi for years. Still no luck. Now he's here too
unfortunately.

TonyP.