Posted to rec.audio.pro
John Phillips John Phillips is offline

Default Live Recording and Levels

I do some live recording of small (low budget) bands with an Alesis
HD24. My problem is getting the levels correct for their mixer inputs
and and the HD24 inputs at the same time. Typical mixers that I see are
Peavey, Fender (no line level inputs), and Mackie. For recording, I use
the Presonus M80 which has mic and line outputs for each channel. When
I use one of the band mics for recording a channel, I use the M80 for
the mic pre. I send the M80 XLR output to the band's mic input with the
TRS going to the HD24. My problem is that it is difficult to get enough
signal to the HD24 without overloading their mixer input. I could use
inline attenuators on my mic outputs but the mix would still change as I
adjust the record levels. I do set the levels during sound check but
things change during the show and I really do not care to mix the show.
I do not have passive mic splitters which is probably the best way but
the few that I have looked at are very expensive ($300). If that is
the only way to solve the problem then so be it, product suggestions
welcomed. I would also be interested if someone has a lower cost
solution, I am ok with an active solution but realize that it has its
problems. Since I do not use many of the band's mics, I would not need
a lot of split channel devices.

Thanks for any help,

John Phillips
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

John Phillips wrote:
[...]

I take a tap off the mixer's inserts, setting levels with the input trim. As
my SDR inputs are 24 bit, the level is not quite so critical, as long is
it's not too high !

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"geoff" wrote ...
John Phillips wrote:
[...]

Yes. That's what I do with my HD24. I have made up some special
cables with tip connected to ring for the insert jacks.