Posted to rec.audio.pro
Wirenut Wirenut is offline

Default API 512 in a lunchbox or Solo 610???

Hello Folks,

I am currently looking to add a decent mic preamp to my front end.
Unfortunately where I live there are not many music stores that carry
multiple brands of high end equipment so I don’t really have a place
to go listen to all the different flavors of mic preamps. My current
project is recording our Christian rock and roll band. I am looking
to capture the best male vocals I can. (With the resources I have). My
current large condenser mic for vocals is an old Rode NT2. I have been
using an ART TubePac presently and starting to realize that the
combination of the two seems to make the vocals seem thin in the mix.
I have been reading about the Solo 610 for about $800.00 or an API 512
and lunchbox around $1000.00. In your experiences will any of these
choices I mention warm up the Rode NT2. I do plan on buying a nicer
mic in the future however this is the mic I have to work with now. The
absolute top of my budget is around $1000.00 so if anyone has any
other suggestions for a preamp that works well for male vocals please
feel free to suggest but keep it under 1K.
Thanks for any advice..

Doug
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Wirenut wrote:
I am currently looking to add a decent mic preamp to my front end.
Unfortunately where I live there are not many music stores that carry
multiple brands of high end equipment so I don=92t really have a place
to go listen to all the different flavors of mic preamps. My current
project is recording our Christian rock and roll band. I am looking
to capture the best male vocals I can. (With the resources I have). My
current large condenser mic for vocals is an old Rode NT2. I have been
using an ART TubePac presently and starting to realize that the
combination of the two seems to make the vocals seem thin in the mix.
I have been reading about the Solo 610 for about $800.00 or an API 512
and lunchbox around $1000.00. In your experiences will any of these
choices I mention warm up the Rode NT2. I do plan on buying a nicer
mic in the future however this is the mic I have to work with now. The
absolute top of my budget is around $1000.00 so if anyone has any
other suggestions for a preamp that works well for male vocals please
feel free to suggest but keep it under 1K.

If you're going to have only one preamp, you probably want it to be the
most neutral preamp you can afford. Under $1K, I can strongly recommend
the John Hardy, for example. It's transformer-coupled but cleaner than
the stuff you describe.

Colored preamps can be useful for a lot of things, but if you have only
one to use, you probably don't want it to be any more colored than you
can help.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chris Whealy Chris Whealy is offline

Wirenut wrote:
[...]

If you can get the API512 /and/ its lunchbox within your budget, I'd go
for that.

You might also consider a Focusrite One (see
http://www.dv247.com/invt/48366/)

Most suppliers of higher end equipment like this (in the UK at least)
will allow you to purchase on a sale or return basis.

Chris W

--
The voice of ignorance speaks loud and long,
But the words of the wise are quiet and few.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 10:00:41 -0500, Scott Dorsey wrote
(in article ):

Wirenut wrote:
[...]

--scott

what he said.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Older api 525 in new 6B lunchbox? John Noll Pro Audio 2 April 20th 05 05:24 PM
WTB Soundtracs Mixer Solo Logic or Solo Midi or Channels of this Items JohnDoe Pro Audio 0 January 4th 05 08:13 AM
WTB: API-type Lunchbox...Or Can I make my own? chetatkinsdiet Pro Audio 7 November 25th 03 06:50 AM
FS: api lunchbox John Noll Marketplace 0 October 10th 03 03:00 PM
FS: api lunchbox John Noll Marketplace 0 October 10th 03 03:00 PM