Posted to rec.audio.pro
Erik Washington[_2_] Erik Washington[_2_] is offline

Default Star Trek tones revisited, looking for a special plug-in

Over a month ago, I posted an inquiry as to how two classic Star Trek sound
effects were created. After a lot of experimentation since that time, I
have discovered that both effects were completely created on a classic
Hammond B-3, with the drawbars set to imitate different wind instruments.
These were later mixed together to produce each effect. ONLY a "sampled"
Hammond allowed me to discover this- the ever popular B4 was simply too
digital to accurately emulate the upper level of the tones without digital
distortion.

I do have a question tough. I still have been unable to create each effect
completely because of the nature of the mixed tones. They are very "thick"
in frequency and neither my sampled Hammond nor the B4 can produce tones
this thick, even with reverb. I CAN, however, reproduce each individual
tone if I quickly and randomly bend the pitch bender a short distance (+/-
1) while the reverb is set to heavy. However, trying to do this for each
and every tone is going to be a problem. Are there any plug-ins available
that can do this automatically? I guess the closest thing I can think of is
coursing, but what I need is a lot more random than that to sound
believable. What can bend each note quickly, but randomly and a random
small distance each time as well as support polyphony? Is there such a
plug-in?

Thanks,
Erik

"Don't forget to draw the curtains!"