Posted to rec.audio.pro
Neil Rutman Neil Rutman is offline

Default Need a formula

I accidentily played back a 44.1khz 24 bit file at 48khz which makes it
sound about 1/2 step up and a bit faster. I prefer the sound of it this way
so I will record the individual parts off the board like this and put them
in a new file. Does anyone know a formula or can tell me how to figure out
what the new tempo is? I can approximate with my metronome but I want to be
precise.

Original file:

Key of "B" - BPM 130 at 44.1 khz 24 bit

New File:

Key of "C" - BPM ??? at 48khz 24 bit

Thanks,

Neil R

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Boris Lau Boris Lau is offline

Neil Rutman schrieb:
Key of "B" - BPM 130 at 44.1 khz 24 bit
New File:
Key of "C" - BPM ??? at 48khz 24 bit

it's 130/44.1*48
too easy a formula? well, multiply it with e^(2*Pi*i)

Best
Boris

--
http://www.borislau.de - computer science, music, photos
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 15:46:57 -0800, "Neil Rutman"
wrote:

I accidentily played back a 44.1khz 24 bit file at 48khz which makes it
sound about 1/2 step up and a bit faster. I prefer the sound of it this way
so I will record the individual parts off the board like this and put them
in a new file. Does anyone know a formula or can tell me how to figure out
what the new tempo is? I can approximate with my metronome but I want to be
precise.

Original file:

Key of "B" - BPM 130 at 44.1 khz 24 bit

New File:

Key of "C" - BPM ??? at 48khz 24 bit

130 X (48/44.1).

That part's obvious, so your question must go deeper. The key
change isn't exact if you have perfect pitch - is that it?

All good fortune,
Chris Hornbeck
Posted to rec.audio.pro
RD Jones RD Jones is offline
Senior Member

Location: Nashville

On Nov 6, 6:46*pm, "Neil Rutman" wrote:
I accidentily played back a 44.1khz 24 bit file at 48khz which makes it
sound about 1/2 step up and a bit faster. I prefer the sound of it this way
so I will record the individual parts off the board like this and put them
in a new file. Does anyone know a formula or can tell me how to figure out
what the new tempo is? *I can approximate with my metronome but I want to be
precise.

Original file:

Key of "B" - BPM 130 at 44.1 khz 24 bit

New File:

Key of "C" - BPM ??? at 48khz 24 bit

Thanks,

Neil R

None of this works out to be "precise" whole numbers.

The new bpm is about 141.497. 130x(48/44.1)

The twelfth root of 2 = "about" 1.05946.
Which makes your key approximately a quarter-tone below an actual C.
A whole step would have been 2x(12,/2), or approx 1.12245.

Obviously more thought could have gone into establishing these ratios
when digital was in it's infancy, but ... oh well.

rd
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mark Mark is offline

Obviously more thought could have gone into establishing these ratios
when digital was in it's infancy, but ... oh well.

see:

http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs/audio/44.1.html

Mark

Posted to rec.audio.pro
jason jason is offline

In article ,
says...

it's 130/44.1*48
too easy a formula? well, multiply it with e^(2*Pi*i)

Best
Boris

droll...

Formula for PP class A PO. Patrick Turner Vacuum Tubes 0 April 13th 08 04:10 PM
Familiar formula? Iain Churches[_2_] Vacuum Tubes 96 November 16th 07 05:52 PM
Formula SuperWhite95 Car Audio 3 October 15th 03 06:48 PM
Sonus Formula IV ? Don Nebel High End Audio 0 September 7th 03 08:29 PM