Posted to rec.audio.pro
David@liminal David@liminal is offline

Default Recording orchestras

On Nov 14, 6:03*am, wrote:
Hi All,

I am a conductor/percussionist who works mostly on contemporary music
in and around New York.
I've also been recording myself and others for the last ten years or
so and the basic understanding of recording techniques,
psychoacoustics, etc (a lot of it coming from this group, thank you)
has helped me tremendously when performing.

So here is my question:

What recordings of classical orchestral repertoire you recommend from
an audio perspective?
I've been listening a lot to Harnoncourt's Beethoven Symphonies with
the European Chamber Orchestra for example, and I am very impressed
with the balance between sound clarity and richness, and the stereo
image is so perfect you can almost see the musicians in front of you.
There is an energy there I am not used to get from a recording. I
could never find that in Karajan/Berlin Phil. for example. What are
the orchestral recordings that really impressed you?

I appreciate your thoughts and wisdom on the subject.

Eduardo

I particularly like the Nimbus recordings. They've always recorded
with a single point ambisonic mic array (their own design, not a
soundfield mic), moving players rather than adding spot mics to
balance recordings. Heard in UHJ over a two channel system the
imaging is fantastic but they're now releasing stuff in 4 channel
(DTS) on DVD, presumably decoded from the same B-format recordings.
Haven't yet heard these yet.

DP
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Martin Leese Martin Leese is offline

David@liminal wrote:

I particularly like the Nimbus recordings. They've always recorded
with a single point ambisonic mic array (their own design, not a
soundfield mic), moving players rather than adding spot mics to
balance recordings. Heard in UHJ over a two channel system the
imaging is fantastic but they're now releasing stuff in 4 channel
(DTS) on DVD, presumably decoded from the same B-format recordings.
Haven't yet heard these yet.

Nimbus only ever archived (two-channel) UHJ,
not (three-channel) B-Format. Hence, their
re-releases on DVD are derived from
two-channel UHJ masters. The DVDs are
intended to be played over four speakers
arranged in a square. If you ever get to
hear them, try to arrange the speakers in
this way.

By the way, if they *had* used a Soundfield
mic then they could have recorded in
(four-channel) full-sphere B-Format, instead
of horizontal-only.

--
Regards,
Martin Leese