Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] black2002ws6@tampabay.rr.com is offline

Default Sub and amp wiring

I have a kicker zx850.2 amp and 2 kicker cvr124 subs. Which would
produce the best results. Wiring each speaker to a 2 ohm load and
hooking them to the amp in stereo or wiring both subs together in
series to a 4 ohm load and hooking them up bridged.

Thanks

Posted to rec.audio.car
Duct Tape[_14_] Duct Tape[_14_] is offline

a bridged 4 ohm load, is exactly the same load on an amp as a 2 ohm
stereo load. there will be no difference in power at all.

the only difference is that both subs will be playing the exact same
frequencies at the same time when you have them both bridged.

--
Duct Tape

Posted to rec.audio.car
Nick and Tina Nick and Tina is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a kicker zx850.2 amp and 2 kicker cvr124 subs. Which would
produce the best results. Wiring each speaker to a 2 ohm load and
hooking them to the amp in stereo or wiring both subs together in
series to a 4 ohm load and hooking them up bridged.

Thanks

I would go bridged mono. Reason being I am not a big fan of running subs in
stereo. The reason is that it is possible that in some music the low
frequencies could be out of phase on one channel vs. the other (and
therefore produce cancellation effects). Though this is unlikely, it IS
possible that even a SLIGHT phasing change between left and right channels
might produce some cancellation here and there (this is usually not a
problem with higher frequencies because bass is omni-directional while
higher frequencies would tend NOT to interact/cancel as much).

My advice would be to sum the left and right channels at the line-level
stage (your amp may do this for you), run it through your amp, and then (as
you suggested) bridging the subs after you connect them together in series.

Good Luck.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] black2002ws6@tampabay.rr.com is offline

On Jul 21, 11:44 pm, "Nick and Tina" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

You have a good point there. I just wasn't sure if it would be better
to run them stereo since I can run them at a 2 ohm load where as
bridged it's only a 4 ohm load.

Thanks

Posted to rec.audio.car
Nick and Tina Nick and Tina is offline

a bridged 4 ohm load, is exactly the same load on an amp as a 2 ohm
stereo load. there will be no difference in power at all.

the only difference is that both subs will be playing the exact same
frequencies at the same time when you have them both bridged.

I agree, though I still recommend mono for the reasons I already stated.
The "load" your amp will be presented with (hence number of watts produced)
will be the same in BOTH scenarios so that is really not an issue at all.

Think about it, when you are running your amp in bridged mono at 4 ohms you
are REALLY (in another way of looking at it) running each channel at 2
ohms, then wiring those channels in series to produce a four ohm load.

Also, it's important to remember that it is the speaker that determines
impedence, not the amp (the amp will tell you what it can handle, though).
In other words, a direct short would be 0 ohms of resistance. The greater
the resistance presented to the amp, the less current that can flow (this
makes sense, right?). A 2 ohm resistance speaker conneced to an amp will be
louder than say a 4 ohm speaker (all other things being equal). When more
curent can flow (all other things being equal) the SPL will be louder.

So this is really not a factor at all. The power should be EXACTLY the
same.

MOSFET

Amp Wiring Chris Car Audio 2 January 2nd 06 01:07 AM
Wiring an amp Chris Car Audio 6 August 20th 05 06:52 PM
sub and amp and wiring drunknmunky Car Audio 0 July 21st 05 09:31 PM
Wiring Help Pyro_Dan_Downunder Car Audio 1 March 19th 05 02:51 PM
4 Sub Wiring harvester Tech 6 February 12th 05 08:10 AM