Posted to rec.audio.car
Dr Nick

Default wiring DVC sub

I just got in my pioneer W306 DVC sub (12") and I had a question. I'm wiring
into a 2 ohm load (parallel) when I wire from the terminal cup to the sub 1
wire goes in there, then do I stick another wire in the sub (say the
negative side) and then connect that to the other negative side on the other
voice coil? Also, what guage wire should I use going from the terminal cup
to the hookups on the actual sub, does it matter? (I mean, as long as it's
not like 22 guage or something) will any decent speaker wire (18 guage, 16
guage or bigger) work fine? thanks, sorry never hooked up a DVC before.

-Nick

Posted to rec.audio.car
spr

"Dr Nick" wrote in message
I just got in my pioneer W306 DVC sub (12") and I had a question. I'm
wiring into a 2 ohm load (parallel) when I wire from the terminal cup to
the sub 1 wire goes in there, then do I stick another wire in the sub (say
the negative side) and then connect that to the other negative side on the
other voice coil? Also, what guage wire should I use going from the
terminal cup to the hookups on the actual sub, does it matter? (I mean, as
long as it's not like 22 guage or something) will any decent speaker wire
(18 guage, 16 guage or bigger) work fine? thanks, sorry never hooked up a
DVC before.

-Nick

to wire parallel, aka dual 4ohm coils to make a 2ohm speaker; run one wire
from +amp to +VC1 to +VC2 then the same for the negative Voice Coil: -amp
to -VC1 to -VC2. If your building an enclosure, you can get terminal
connector kits so you can run single wires from each post on the sub to the
terminal block, run a single wire from amp to the terminal, then use 'bridge
bars' included in the kits to parallel the connections neatly.

As for gauge, I'd go with the largest that your amp and sub can connect with
without having to modify the ends of the cable. I personally use 10ga but it
depends on your connection terminals. Larger gauge can easily handle the
power and in a car, larger gauge is going to be more rugged and resist nicks
and potential crimp/breaks better.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Nick Vital

[...]

Well I already have an enclosure for it, should I get these "bridge bars"?
where can I get these from? I don't really care if it's "neat" because it
will be inside the box and I won't see it, but I DO want to make sure it's
done right so I don't have problems down the road. if I just use speaker
wires to connect them I run one wire from the + side on the terminal to VC1
and then do I stick another wire in the + on VC1 to connect to the + on VC2?
and teh same on the negative side

Posted to rec.audio.car
Nick Vital

also, when wiring this I think I have 14 guage wire (not 100% sure might be
16), if I doubled up each wire on the + and - sides (say, using both the +
and - side of 1 wire to go in each the + and - side, will that be better)
will it hurt? does it matter?

Posted to rec.audio.car
GregS

In article EOzvf.47904$ih5.37343@dukeread11, "Nick Vital" wrote:
also, when wiring this I think I have 14 guage wire (not 100% sure might be
16), if I doubled up each wire on the + and - sides (say, using both the +
and - side of 1 wire to go in each the + and - side, will that be better)
will it hurt? does it matter?

You could probably use 30 gauge and you will not know the difference,
except it may vibrate to death. Two 14s = 11 gauge. I would use the
size that fits best. I most always solder all my driver connections, but a screw down
would normally require torquing down with a wrench so its tight.

greg

Posted to rec.audio.car
Dr Nick

just finished installing it, couldn't find any damn wire strippers so I used
a rasor knife... had a slight mishap (at least now everyone will know when
I'm flippinf them off because of the big white bandage, lol) I found some 10
guage wire my dad had from running our home theater, so I used that to make
the "bridge" connections, and just used the 16 guage I had in there
previously for the amp to sub connect, sub sounds GREAT. haven't fully
tested it yet as I'm breaking it in still, but definetly more senisitive
than the rockford I replaced it with. (have pioneer W306DVC 12") had a few
people asking for reports on the sound of it, it's a lot better with rock
stuff (can hear bass kicks really clear) and I haven't even fully tuned the
gain or X-over yet.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Austin Becker

Awesome, I ended up ordering the same sub from www.ikesound.com, and mine
should be here soon. It shipped on Monday and is scheduled for delivery for
tomorrow. I am in the process of building my enclosure. It should be
assembled tomorrow evening, with a 24 hour cure time for the silicone seals.
I'll let you all know how it goes. I am building a 1.36 cubic foot box, and
the displacement of the driver is .11 cubic feet. The manual suggests a
1.25 cubic foot enclosure, so I should be perfect. I will break it in for a
couple of days, and post my thoughts on it. I listen to mostly rock as
well, but I do listen to some rap too. I'm sure it will sound great.
--
- AUSTIN BECKER
"Dr Nick" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Dr Nick

"Austin Becker" wrote in message
Awesome, I ended up ordering the same sub from www.ikesound.com, and mine
should be here soon. It shipped on Monday and is scheduled for delivery
for
tomorrow. I am in the process of building my enclosure. It should be
assembled tomorrow evening, with a 24 hour cure time for the silicone
seals.
I'll let you all know how it goes. I am building a 1.36 cubic foot box,
and
the displacement of the driver is .11 cubic feet. The manual suggests a
1.25 cubic foot enclosure, so I should be perfect. I will break it in for
couple of days, and post my thoughts on it. I listen to mostly rock as
well, but I do listen to some rap too. I'm sure it will sound great.
--

The box I put it in is on the high side of the rec. enclosure for a sealed
(about 1.65 cu ft, mabye slightly more) I believe the Max for this is 1.75

-Nick

Posted to rec.audio.car
Austin Becker

That box is HUGE!!!!! I would almost venture to say unnecessarily big. If
you put that thing in a box that's 1.25 cubes, I would be willing to bet
that you'd be much happier with it.. But, I am glad you like it. Hopefully
if the weather cooperates tomorrow, I'll be able to cut my box pieces and
put it together. Then I will have to wait til monday to put the sub in.

--
- AUSTIN BECKER