Patrick Mills

Default Install question on Jeep Wrangler

Hello,

Talked to the local car audio shop (good reputation locally) about
replacing my '04 Wrangler soft-top's factory stereo system with a decent
deck and speakers. Looking at an Alpine CDA-9815 with the XM radio
option, plus 4 Alpine speakers in the factory locations (either side of
the lower dash and in the speaker bar behind the upper sport bar). I've
got the following questions about the information I received:

1) The center console has a knock-out grill for a sub-woofer (my Jeep
doesn't have a sub-woofer, but does have the console). The salesman told
me it would cost $500 extra to mount a sub-woofer in this area due to the
complications of "building a custom enclosure" and that only a 6" speaker
would fit, eliminating most of the advantages of a sub-woofer. This all
sounds like BS to me (how does the factory get one in there?), but why
would they tell me this when I'm willing to pay (reasonable) money for a
sub-woofer and install (he clearly did not expect me to pop for the $500,
and knew I wouldn't go for it even before he gave me the info).

2) The soft-top eliminates the roof as a possible mount-point for the XM
radio antennna. The salesman said we could put it inside the vehicle, on
top of the dash. Anyone see any potential problems or have a better
suggestion? Anyone using an XM antenna inside the car? Any problems with
reception?

Thanks,

PLM

--
[ ]
__OIIIIO__
Jeepers

In article ,
Patrick Mills wrote:

2) The soft-top eliminates the roof as a possible mount-point for the XM
radio antennna. The salesman said we could put it inside the vehicle, on
top of the dash. Anyone see any potential problems or have a better
suggestion? Anyone using an XM antenna inside the car? Any problems with
reception?

Thanks,

PLM

Expensive stereos & Jeeps don't mix. As for the antenna, how about the
hood or that spot between the hood and windshield, or above the spare
tire. Any of which will scream "Free Stereo!"

Mark S.

As for the xm antenna we've never had a problem putting them on the dash.

Mark S
Owner
SoundsExtreme

I am doing the same in my 2004. I did not buy the upgraded sterio because
it was such crap in my 2002.
J L Audio has a 6-1/2" subwoofer - reported to be very good. It needs a
small enclosure. Do a google search. Somepone has info on replacing the
original Mopar sub with this unit.
I am going to try an 8" sub built for a vented enclosure in the console. I
replaced the front speakers with Infinities from my 2002 Wrangler. I used
Metra adapter plates and canted the speakers slightly up. Made a big
difference. But, the sound bar is different and the 5-1/4" infinities did
not fit the sound bar the same way. I had to cut the plastic shims off the
factory speakers to mount the infinities and I believe this has cut bass
response. They were better in the 2002. I will have to mess more with the
mounting to improve the sound.

Oh, the grill is not a nock-out. The sub mounts behind it and the grill
protects the sub. As for replacing the radio, make sure it has a removable
face. Depending on where you are, an upgrade will dissapear real fast out
of your TJ.

"Patrick Mills" wrote in message
news
[...]

narcolept

"q" wrote in message
I am doing the same in my 2004. I did not buy the upgraded sterio

because
it was such crap in my 2002.
J L Audio has a 6-1/2" subwoofer - reported to be very good. It needs a
small enclosure. Do a google search. Somepone has info on

6w0 would be the JL model number you're looking for.. Never heard it used as
an actual sub, but as a midbass mounted IB in a door, and I was damn
impressed..

narcolept
-----
damn impressed for a little 6.5" "sub", but I'm a JL whore.

[...]

Tha Ghee

"narcolept" wrote in message
t...

"q" wrote in message
I am doing the same in my 2004. I did not buy the upgraded sterio

because
it was such crap in my 2002.
J L Audio has a 6-1/2" subwoofer - reported to be very good. It needs a
small enclosure. Do a google search. Somepone has info on

6w0 would be the JL model number you're looking for.. Never heard it used

as
an actual sub, but as a midbass mounted IB in a door, and I was damn
impressed..

narcolept
-----
damn impressed for a little 6.5" "sub", but I'm a JL whore.

there have been a few installs that have used it as a woofer not a sub
per-se, Morel and Focal both make 6" "subs." I would also look at home
audio they seem to like small diam. spks. that go low

Tha Ghee

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
Isn't the Focal sub a 5"?

Paul Vina

yes it is I should have changed that, but they used to make a 6" to go
against Morel

Jeep Wrangler audio q Car Audio 0 October 30th 03 04:54 PM
Dynaudio Sys 340 Install Question Rick Car Audio 2 August 4th 03 11:40 PM
Best Single 10" Sub for a Jeep Wrangler Branden Car Audio 6 July 30th 03 06:39 PM
Yes its a noise question... sorry A. Allen Car Audio 10 July 19th 03 03:00 AM
Repost: Reason 2.0 on a Celeron 2GHz laptop. Scott Elliott Birch General 17 July 7th 03 11:20 PM