Posted to rec.audio.pro
davey davey is offline

Default Skype Session with Lynx Aurora 8 - No Signal

Hi,

For some reason, my interface (Lynx Aurora 8) doesn't show a signal in Skype or Google Hangouts. I would like to Skype in the director into a session on Monday. To clarify, the Audio Device comes up, but no meter bars and no audio is audible. Any trouble shooting suggestions would be great, and if anyone knows of any alternate Conferencing Apps, that would be great too.

Thanks!

David
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 1/11/2015 4:56 p.m., davey wrote:
Hi,

For some reason, my interface (Lynx Aurora 8) doesn't show a signal in Skype or Google Hangouts. I would like to Skype in the director into a session on Monday. To clarify, the Audio Device comes up, but no meter bars and no audio is audible. Any trouble shooting suggestions would be great, and if anyone knows of any alternate Conferencing Apps, that would be great too.

Thanks!

David

How anybody can help kind of depends what OS you are working on !

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

On 10/31/2015 11:56 PM, davey wrote:

For some reason, my interface (Lynx Aurora 8) doesn't show a signal in Skype or Google Hangouts. I would like to Skype in the director into a session on Monday. To clarify, the Audio Device comes up, but no meter bars and no audio is audible. Any trouble shooting suggestions would be great, and if anyone knows of any alternate Conferencing Apps, that would be great too.

The last time I checked, Skype did not like Firewire or ASIO.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

davey wrote:

For some reason, my interface (Lynx Aurora 8) doesn't show a signal in Skyp=
e or Google Hangouts. I would like to Skype in the director into a session=
on Monday. To clarify, the Audio Device comes up, but no meter bars and =
no audio is audible. Any trouble shooting suggestions would be great, an=
d if anyone knows of any alternate Conferencing Apps, that would be great =
too.=20

I bet a nickel you're using an ASIO driver on a Windows machine, and if
this is the case, no, skype won't see it.

That said, I don't think I'd want my DAW system to have any connection to
the outside world at all.. I would want to be running skype on another
computer altogether, possibly one with a cheap soundcard patched into the
control room ins and outs of the console.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil W Phil W is offline

"mcp6453":
On 10/31/2015 11:56 PM, davey wrote:

For some reason, my interface (Lynx Aurora 8) doesn't show a signal in
Skype or Google Hangouts. I would like to Skype in the director into a
session on Monday. To clarify, the Audio Device comes up, but no meter
bars and no audio is audible. Any trouble shooting suggestions would be
great, and if anyone knows of any alternate Conferencing Apps, that
would be great too.

The last time I checked, Skype did not like Firewire or ASIO.

I canīt think of a reason, why Firewire would be a reason. ASIO is only
supported by certain DAW programs and ASIO drivers are only *additional* to
the "normal" drivers, at least according to my experience.

Anyway, I have not run across an interface with ASIO drivers, that did not
come with "normal" drivers for every other Windows program. Those "normal"
drivers are the ones that Skype sees and uses.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 2/11/2015 10:25 p.m., Phil W wrote:
"mcp6453":
On 10/31/2015 11:56 PM, davey wrote:

For some reason, my interface (Lynx Aurora 8) doesn't show a
signal in Skype or Google Hangouts. I would like to Skype in the
director into a session on Monday. To clarify, the Audio Device
comes up, but no meter bars and no audio is audible. Any
trouble shooting suggestions would be great, and if anyone knows
of any alternate Conferencing Apps, that would be great too.

The last time I checked, Skype did not like Firewire or ASIO.

I canīt think of a reason, why Firewire would be a reason.

Quite a few programs are known to have problems with Firewire or USB
connected HDDs.

ASIO is only supported by certain DAW programs

ASIO drivers are required by *most* DAW applications for efficient data
transfer, and some functions such as input-monitoring.

and ASIO drivers are only *additional* to the "normal" drivers, at
least according to my experience.
Anyway, I have not run across an interface with ASIO drivers, that
did not come with "normal" drivers for every other Windows program.
Those "normal" drivers are the ones that Skype sees and uses.

Granted, but presumably 'possible' to install ASIO drivers only, if
that's all that is known to be required.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil W Phil W is offline

geoff:
On 2/11/2015 10:25 p.m., Phil W wrote:

and ASIO drivers are only *additional* to the "normal" drivers, at
least according to my experience.
Anyway, I have not run across an interface with ASIO drivers, that
did not come with "normal" drivers for every other Windows program.
Those "normal" drivers are the ones that Skype sees and uses.

Granted, but presumably 'possible' to install ASIO drivers only, if
that's all that is known to be required.

Possible, but in my part of reality, I have only experienced "driver
bundles/packages" (or whatever you may want to call it), that contain
"normal" + ASIO drivers and *no* option to choose, which drivers are to be
installed. ... yes, I have seen quite a few different interfaces and their
driver packages.
Thus, I presume that if there is an ASIO driver, there is usually the
"normal" driver, as well...

IF one chooses to use the "normal" driver after the installation, is another
question.

Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 11/2/2015 7:21 AM, Phil W wrote:

Possible, but in my part of reality, I have only experienced "driver
bundles/packages" (or whatever you may want to call it), that contain
"normal" + ASIO drivers and *no* option to choose, which drivers are to
be installed. ... yes, I have seen quite a few different interfaces and
their driver packages.
Thus, I presume that if there is an ASIO driver, there is usually the
"normal" driver, as well...

This is the case with Lynx products. I assume since you're talking
"drivers" that you're using Windows, not a Mac. I can't help you with
Mac stuff, but if you did the standard Windows installation, you also
have a WDM driver as well as the ASIO driver.

Skype uses whatever is selected as the Windows default audio device. Go
to the Windows Control Panel, select Sounds and Audio Devices, select
the Audio tab, and if the Aurora isn't selected as the default device
(both record and playback), select it. It will almost certainly only
support the first two channels in this mode, so that's what you'll have
to hook up.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil W Phil W is offline

Mike Rivers:
On 11/2/2015 7:21 AM, Phil W wrote:

Possible, but in my part of reality, I have only experienced "driver
bundles/packages" (or whatever you may want to call it), that contain
"normal" + ASIO drivers and *no* option to choose, which drivers are to
be installed. ... yes, I have seen quite a few different interfaces and
their driver packages.
Thus, I presume that if there is an ASIO driver, there is usually the
"normal" driver, as well...

This is the case with Lynx products. I assume since you're talking
"drivers" that you're using Windows,

Right, Iīm rather a Windows guy...

not a Mac.

.... though I regularly use friendsī Macs (for audio stuff), so I know both
worlds.
BTW: do not trust the myths - Macs do need drivers, if you want to do
anything slightly advanced, like audio/DAW stuff with external hardware.
Examples: MOTU, Tascam, Mackie Onyx, ...
In the end, itīs the same bad situation as with Windows. If thereīs no
compatible and reliably working driver, you can forget about the interface,
because you canīt use it as intended.

But most importantly, I am *not* the OP! Just another guy, who contributed
some comments.

I can't help you with Mac stuff,
but if you did the standard Windows installation, you also have a WDM
driver as well as the ASIO driver.

That was my point!
Someone brought up ASIO, which has absolutely nothing to do with Skype - and
I just wanted to add my point of view.
Lynx is among the few brands/companies, of which I never installed drivers
for, so Iīm lacking personal experience here.

Skype uses whatever is selected as the Windows default audio device.

No, sorry! Skype (Windows) lets me select the audio device, independent from
the default audio device for Windows - as far as I remember, it has been
that way for some years now.

Go to the Windows Control Panel, select Sounds and Audio Devices, select
the Audio tab, and if the Aurora isn't selected as the default device
(both record and playback), select it. It will almost certainly only
support the first two channels in this mode, so that's what you'll have to
hook up.

Thanks, usually I explain that kind of stuff to others. ;-)

Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro

mcp6453 wrote:
On 10/31/2015 11:56 PM, davey wrote:

For some reason, my interface (Lynx Aurora 8) doesn't show a signal
in Skype or Google Hangouts. I would like to Skype in the director
into a session on Monday. To clarify, the Audio Device comes up,
but no meter bars and no audio is audible. Any trouble shooting
suggestions would be great, and if anyone knows of any alternate
Conferencing Apps, that would be great too.

The last time I checked, Skype did not like Firewire or ASIO.

Most drivers shipped these days include non-ASIO*, and
Firewire wouldn't matter.

*DirectX, WDM, directSound, yadda.

--
Les Cargill

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Phil W wrote:
That was my point!
Someone brought up ASIO, which has absolutely nothing to do with Skype - and
I just wanted to add my point of view.
Lynx is among the few brands/companies, of which I never installed drivers
for, so Iīm lacking personal experience here.

Right... someone brought it up because they are used to installing systems
with _only_ ASIO drivers, so that there is no possibility of any unauthorized
stuff talking to the card. No way for Windows beeps to somehow mysteriously
wind up on your recording when something gets misconfigured in the field.

And, because ASIO has nothing to do with Skype, if you have a system set
up that way, Skype can't talk to the card.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 11/2/2015 1:11 PM, Phil W wrote:
Skype (Windows) lets me select the audio device, independent from the
default audio device for Windows - as far as I remember, it has been
that way for some years now.

OK. I set up Skype once about half a dozen years ago and haven't touched
it since. I didn't remember that you could tell it where to go (for it's
audio, that is). And I figured out that you weren't the OP, from whom,
it seems, never came back, not even to thank is for all this potentially
useful information.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 11/2/2015 5:42 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 11/2/2015 1:11 PM, Phil W wrote:
Skype (Windows) lets me select the audio device, independent from the
default audio device for Windows - as far as I remember, it has been
that way for some years now.

OK. I set up Skype once about half a dozen years ago and haven't touched it since. I didn't remember that you could tell
it where to go (for it's audio, that is). And I figured out that you weren't the OP, from whom, it seems, never came
back, not even to thank is for all this potentially useful information.

Skype is great in that it will let you select any sound card it sees independently of all others. However, unless things
have changed (Skype updates about once per month), Skype will not work with a sound card that has only ASIO drivers.
Hopefully they will address the problem one day, but I'm not holding my breath. So long as computer microphones work
with Skype, Microsoft is probably not going to bother.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil W Phil W is offline

"mcp6453":

Skype is great in that it will let you select any sound card it sees
independently of all others. However, unless things
have changed (Skype updates about once per month), Skype will not work
with a sound card that has only ASIO drivers.
Hopefully they will address the problem one day, but I'm not holding my
breath. So long as computer microphones work
with Skype, Microsoft is probably not going to bother.

Would it be possible to name some "ASIO-only" interfaces?
According to their FAQ, Lynx offered WDM drivers.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 11/3/2015 8:34 AM, Phil W wrote:
"mcp6453":

Would it be possible to name some "ASIO-only" interfaces?
According to their FAQ, Lynx offered WDM drivers.

That's part of the dilemma. Based on the research I've done, some (if not all) sound cards with ASIO drivers disable WDM
drivers. Skype only sees WDM drivers, in my experience. If there are sound cards or ASIO drivers that allow ASIO and WDM
to work simultaneously, that's the solution. So few people use Skype in this manner that the answer is just not available.

Since Lynx has WDM drivers, it should work fine with Skype, but does using the WDM drivers with Lynx preclude using ASIO
drivers, which most recording people want to use? Do the ASIO drivers disable the ASIO drivers?

It appears that Behringer has abandoned its WDM drivers in favor of ASIO drivers. We use a lot a Behringer UCA202 USB
sound cards, which work surprisingly well. However, the latest drivers on the Behringer website are ASIO only. With our
latest installations, we had to go back into our file archives to get the last non-ASIO drivers to get them to work with
Skype. I'm not sure if we have tested the old drivers with Windows 10 yet.

I haven't tested WebRTC to determine whether it has a problem with ASIO drivers. If it doesn't, there will not be a lot
of incentive for Skype to add ASIO support. There are finally some alternatives to Skype for wideband audio over the
Internet, but these alternatives have been a long time coming, and Skype is still the most ubiquitous and easiest to use.

Inquiring minds want to know. I'd also be curious to know how all of these things affect Macs. M-Audio is not going to
write Windows 10 drivers for their Audiophile/Delta series of cards, which are still used by MANY people. The Windows 7
drivers so not work in Windows 10, based on what I've read. We use the Delta 1010LT with multiple instances of Skype on
a single computer for broadcasting purposes. The newer products, like the M-Audio M-Track Eight, looks to be a
reasonable but expensive alternative, but if the drivers do not allow Skype to see the channels, we're dead in the water.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 11/3/2015 7:45 AM, mcp6453 wrote:
Skype is great in that it will let you select any sound card it sees
independently of all others. However, unless things have changed
(Skype updates about once per month), Skype will not work with a
sound card that has only ASIO drivers.

I think that to be more accurate, it will only work with drivers that
Windows supports. Most devices that have an ASIO driver automatically
install a WDM driver as well when you execute the setup routine.
Occasionally a Windows driver will be optional, and if you don't choose
to install it, they it won't work with Skype.

Hopefully they will address
the problem one day, but I'm not holding my breath.

Good. We'd like you to stick around for a while. There haven't been many
free audio-related programs that have been upgraded to use ASIO. There
may be some money to Steinberg involved since they own the ASIO license,
which could explain that.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 11/3/2015 9:11 AM, mcp6453 wrote:
Based on the research I've done, some (if not all) sound cards with ASIO drivers disable WDM

They probably do, while they're speaking to a program that's using the
ASIO driver. I can see situations where you might want to use both
drivers when running two programs together, for example, using a DAW
that speaks ASIO to mix audio inputs and send them out through Skype. I
think the situation there would call for telling the DAW to use the
device's WDM driver, but you might not get access to all the channels.
And I wouldn't be surprised if there are some DAWs out there that use
only ASIO to talk to the hardware.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bill[_20_] Bill[_20_] is offline

In message , Mike Rivers
writes
On 11/3/2015 9:11 AM, mcp6453 wrote:
Based on the research I've done, some (if not all) sound cards with
ASIO drivers disable WDM

They probably do, while they're speaking to a program that's using the
ASIO driver. I can see situations where you might want to use both
drivers when running two programs together, for example, using a DAW
that speaks ASIO to mix audio inputs and send them out through Skype. I
think the situation there would call for telling the DAW to use the
device's WDM driver, but you might not get access to all the channels.
And I wouldn't be surprised if there are some DAWs out there that use
only ASIO to talk to the hardware.

Oh dear, I've not jumped in before because I used to know a bit about
this, but now I can't even remember any names for the effects.

Some basic usb interfaces would alter the sample rate and probably other
parameters of their wdm driver when the asio driver's sample rate was
altered and some didn't. I can't remember what the "feature" was of the
interfaces that did this, and I can't remember which ones did and which
didn't. I wonder if this relates to the asio disabling wdm question.

Old age is getting nearly as depressing as Windows 10. I did wonder if
that could be the problem, too, but we never had an answer to what OS.
--
Bill
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil[_2_] Nil[_2_] is offline

On 03 Nov 2015, Mike Rivers wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

Good. We'd like you to stick around for a while. There haven't
been many free audio-related programs that have been upgraded to
use ASIO. There may be some money to Steinberg involved since they
own the ASIO license, which could explain that.

That's precisely the case with Audacity. To quote them, "Licensing
restrictions prevent us including ASIO support in released versions of
Audacity, but Audacity can be compiled with ASIO support for private,
non-distributable use." I believe that the Linux and Mac OS versions
support ASIO right out of the box. I don't understand why it would be
different for Windows, but there it is.

http://wiki.audacityteam.org/index.p...udio_Interface
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 4/11/2015 6:27 a.m., Nil wrote:
On 03 Nov 2015, Mike Rivers wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

Good. We'd like you to stick around for a while. There haven't
been many free audio-related programs that have been upgraded to
use ASIO. There may be some money to Steinberg involved since they
own the ASIO license, which could explain that.

That's precisely the case with Audacity. To quote them, "Licensing
restrictions prevent us including ASIO support in released versions of
Audacity, but Audacity can be compiled with ASIO support for private,
non-distributable use." I believe that the Linux and Mac OS versions
support ASIO right out of the box. I don't understand why it would be
different for Windows, but there it is.

http://wiki.audacityteam.org/index.p...udio_Interface

Though the ASIO4ALL dudes manage it for free ....

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 03/11/15 20:55, geoff wrote:
On 4/11/2015 6:27 a.m., Nil wrote:
On 03 Nov 2015, Mike Rivers wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

Good. We'd like you to stick around for a while. There haven't
been many free audio-related programs that have been upgraded to
use ASIO. There may be some money to Steinberg involved since they
own the ASIO license, which could explain that.

That's precisely the case with Audacity. To quote them, "Licensing
restrictions prevent us including ASIO support in released versions of
Audacity, but Audacity can be compiled with ASIO support for private,
non-distributable use." I believe that the Linux and Mac OS versions
support ASIO right out of the box. I don't understand why it would be
different for Windows, but there it is.

http://wiki.audacityteam.org/index.p...udio_Interface

Though the ASIO4ALL dudes manage it for free ....

That's because their driver isn't a true ASIO driver, but a reverse
engineered one, which does the same things, and can fool most if not all
audio programs into believing it's the real thing. Ditto the Linux
versions of ASIO, and for a while now, the Mac OS has been based on the
Linux kernel so Linux stuff is easily ported to it.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 11/3/2015 12:27 PM, Nil wrote:
I believe that the Linux and Mac OS versions
support ASIO right out of the box. I don't understand why it would be
different for Windows, but there it is.

That's because it's Windows.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 11/3/2015 3:55 PM, geoff wrote:
Though the ASIO4ALL dudes manage it for free ....

ASIO4ALL is actually not an ASIO driver, it just makes the program think
it's talking to an ASIO device and gives you some of the ASIO tools like
adjustable buffer size. It's a good tool for sure. I use it on systems
that don't have "pro" audio hardware with an ASIO driver when I want to
run a program that's more friendly to ASIO than WDM.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com