Posted to rec.audio.pro
Randy Yates[_2_] Randy Yates[_2_] is offline

Default Windows 10 and Legacy Help Files

It seems Win10 won't read them, and the legacy help program is not
installable under it.

Did MS just blow away 10-15 years of help files? I'm not too happy with
this.
--
Randy Yates
Digital Signal Labs
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

Randy Yates writes:

It seems Win10 won't read them, and the legacy help program is not
installable under it.

Did MS just blow away 10-15 years of help files? I'm not too happy with
this.

They just keep shooting themselves in the foot. I'm looking at some way to use the
win explorer from XP in Win7, or perhaps some 3rd party win explorer.

Why? Because they've broken the way regular expressions work in name searches.
(Well, actually, they never had it quite right to begin with, but it's gotten
seriously worse.)

Example: If you have filename "abcdef_123.txt", the following search patterns will
NOT return a hit on that file (but will work in XP and any UNIX system, of course;
well, in XP you select the search option "contains" the search item, you don't
necessarily use the wildcards, but it's the same idea):

*cde*
*23*

But these will work in Win7:

a*
ab*
abc* (etc)
1*
12* (etc)

The concept of an alphabetic substring search is gone. Only start-of-name, or
substrings bounded by non-alphanumerics, will return a hit.

Hugely annoying. And unbelievable. Unbelievably bad... (I don't suppose they fixed
this in win10? No? I didn't think so.)

Frank
Mobile Audio

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 2:20:17 PM UTC-4, Frank Stearns wrote:
Randy Yates writes:

[...]

Think place-holders "??????" work, too. They can't make up their minds!

Randy, good luck!!

Jack

Hugely annoying. And unbelievable. Unbelievably bad... (I don't suppose they fixed
this in win10? No? I didn't think so.)

Frank
Mobile Audio

--
.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 15/09/2015 17:17, Randy Yates wrote:
It seems Win10 won't read them, and the legacy help program is not
installable under it.

Did MS just blow away 10-15 years of help files? I'm not too happy with
this.

This may help:-

http://download.cnet.com/Help-Explor...4-10666661.htm

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 15/09/2015 17:17, Randy Yates wrote:
It seems Win10 won't read them, and the legacy help program is not
installable under it.

Did MS just blow away 10-15 years of help files? I'm not too happy with
this.

Another possibility that I've had work with some programs wriutten for
XP that Windows 7 and higher won't run is to run the installer in
Windows XP mode, which is done by right clicking on the item and
selecting that compatibility mode under "troubleshoot compatibility".
That got Outlook 2002 running under Windows 7....

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 3:47:06 PM UTC-4, John Williamson wrote:
On 15/09/2015 17:17, Randy Yates wrote:
It seems Win10 won't read them, and the legacy help program is not
installable under it.

Did MS just blow away 10-15 years of help files? I'm not too happy with
this.

Another possibility that I've had work with some programs wriutten for
XP that Windows 7 and higher won't run is to run the installer in
Windows XP mode, which is done by right clicking on the item and
selecting that compatibility mode under "troubleshoot compatibility".
That got Outlook 2002 running under Windows 7....

"XP Mode" works fine for me in Win 7. Need if you have 16 bit apps.

Jack

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 15/09/2015 20:51, JackA wrote:
On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 3:47:06 PM UTC-4, John Williamson wrote:
On 15/09/2015 17:17, Randy Yates wrote:
It seems Win10 won't read them, and the legacy help program is not
installable under it.

Did MS just blow away 10-15 years of help files? I'm not too happy with
this.

Another possibility that I've had work with some programs wriutten for
XP that Windows 7 and higher won't run is to run the installer in
Windows XP mode, which is done by right clicking on the item and
selecting that compatibility mode under "troubleshoot compatibility".
That got Outlook 2002 running under Windows 7....

"XP Mode" works fine for me in Win 7. Need if you have 16 bit apps.

My real point is that it's sometimes only the installer that checks the
Windows version, and the program doesn't need it to run. On the other
hand, if you're still running 16 bit applications, you must have some
quite unusual needs, and the last 16 bit program I ran was a DOS game in
a virtual machine. Then again, on this 64 bit machine, that's the only
option I have.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 3:57:31 PM UTC-4, John Williamson wrote:
[...]

John, I lag so far behind and FEAR changing OS's due to new problems!!
While everyone was on XO, I was still using Win ME! Didn't even need Anti-V, since it was far out of date! Personally, I see computers going slower and slower.
Not sure why many quickly jump on the new OS bandwagon. I'd first see if it has any benefits for me. Generally, it doesn't, just gimmicks. And Updates, geewiz, M$ should pay us for the time we spend updating OS. Ridiculous.

Jack

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Randy Yates[_2_] Randy Yates[_2_] is offline

JackA writes:
[...]
Not sure why many quickly jump on the new OS bandwagon. I'd first see
if it has any benefits for me.

Don't accuse ME of this. I haven't purchased an operating system in
about 10 years. I was FORCED to buy Win10 by a) the unavailability of
tools I need for work in linux (namely, the PE Micro debugger for the
Freescale Coldfire using a PE Micro USB Multilink BDM), and b) the
complete breakdown of my old WinXP system due to forced obsolescence.

I'm a linux dude. I haven't used a Windows OS as my main (non-virtual)
machine since 2006.
--
Randy Yates
Digital Signal Labs
http://www.digitalsignallabs.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 5:58:01 PM UTC-4, Randy Yates wrote:
JackA writes:
[...]
Not sure why many quickly jump on the new OS bandwagon. I'd first see
if it has any benefits for me.

Don't accuse ME of this. I haven't purchased an operating system in
about 10 years. I was FORCED to buy Win10 by a) the unavailability of
tools I need for work in linux (namely, the PE Micro debugger for the
Freescale Coldfire using a PE Micro USB Multilink BDM), and b) the
complete breakdown of my old WinXP system due to forced obsolescence.

I'm a linux dude. I haven't used a Windows OS as my main (non-virtual)
machine since 2006.

Randy, I wasn't pointing at you. Both Tim and BobbyM in another newsgroup recently upgraded, but not sure why.

I bought a nice Toshiba laptop, started it up and there was Win 8, no pamphlet or quick start guide how to use it. To me, it was like a toy, not an operating system. Not sure why M$ keeps pumping out crap. Seems they ask for no user input and dream up nightmares to keep afloat.

But, on YouTube, someone mentioned about returning to Linux after loading Win 10. Maybe Linux is where I want to go.

Jack
--
Randy Yates
Digital Signal Labs
http://www.digitalsignallabs.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 16/09/2015 10:11 a.m., JackA wrote:
Randy, I wasn't pointing at you. Both Tim and BobbyM in another
newsgroup recently upgraded, but not sure why. I bought a nice Toshiba
laptop, started it up and there was Win 8, no pamphlet or quick start
guide how to use it. To me, it was like a toy, not an operating
system. Not sure why M$ keeps pumping out crap. Seems they ask for no
user input and dream up nightmares to keep afloat. But, on YouTube,
someone mentioned about returning to Linux after loading Win 10. Maybe
Linux is where I want to go. Jack
--
Randy Yates
Digital Signal Labs
http://www.digitalsignallabs.com

Upgrade Win 8 to Win10 to get rid of the actual problematical stuff.

Then download ClassicShell so you can make Win10 look and behave pretty
much like the WinMe you know and love. And then you'll be able to run
software from this decade too !

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 6:47:20 PM UTC-4, geoff wrote:
[...]

This decade? Really!?

Actually, I did that with the Toshiba Laptop (Win 8), advice from a coworker!
Yes, nice(r). But, that's what bothers me about M$, you can't have it YOUR way, only THEIRS.
I didn't notice this before, but Win 7, when you change file-names, it excludes the extension!
And, I can't stand Win Explorer, it sees some music files, then alters its environment, like I need M$ telling me who the artists are, and very bothered by graphic files it feel I need to organize music. Oh, and then you can ONLY put files where they allow you to! So stupid. Think I'll join Randy and try Linux. Time to get off the brain-dead M$ wagon.

Thanks.

Jack

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 16/09/2015 11:09 a.m., JackA wrote:
[...]

That is an option easy configurable in Win Explorer 'Organise | Folder
and Search Options' , pretty as as has been the case as far back as Win95.

And, I can't stand Win Explorer, it sees some music files, then alters its environment, like I need M$ telling me who the artists are, and very bothered by graphic files it feel I need to organize music. Oh, and then you can ONLY put files where they allow you to! So stupid. Think I'll join Randy and try Linux. Time to get off the brain-dead M$ wagon.

Thanks.

Jack

Yes, the default view for media folder is a pain for people who are not
casual 'consumer' users. However again all is configurable:

http://www.7tutorials.com/configure-...-you-want-them

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mat Nieuwenhoven Mat Nieuwenhoven is offline

On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 17:57:55 -0400, Randy Yates wrote:

JackA writes:
[...]
Not sure why many quickly jump on the new OS bandwagon. I'd first see
if it has any benefits for me.

Don't accuse ME of this. I haven't purchased an operating system in
about 10 years. I was FORCED to buy Win10 by a) the unavailability of
tools I need for work in linux (namely, the PE Micro debugger for the
Freescale Coldfire using a PE Micro USB Multilink BDM), and b) the
complete breakdown of my old WinXP system due to forced obsolescence.

Out of curiosity, it doesn't work under Linux+Wine? I see on their
ebsite they have at least some Linux stuff:
http://www.pemicro.com/getting_start...ebug/index.cfm

Mat Nieuwenhoven

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

Randy Yates writes:

JackA writes:
[...]
Not sure why many quickly jump on the new OS bandwagon. I'd first see
if it has any benefits for me.

Don't accuse ME of this. I haven't purchased an operating system in
about 10 years. I was FORCED to buy Win10 by a) the unavailability of
tools I need for work in linux (namely, the PE Micro debugger for the
Freescale Coldfire using a PE Micro USB Multilink BDM), and b) the
complete breakdown of my old WinXP system due to forced obsolescence.

I'm a linux dude. I haven't used a Windows OS as my main (non-virtual)
machine since 2006.

I still occasionally grieve for my Sparc 420... Hell, even a VT100 talking to a Vax
was nice... I even talked one client into putting two VT100s on my desk so that I
could have 4 logins on each. Got in BIG trouble though when I started running
multiple TeX jobs.

Frank
Mobile Audio

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 16/09/2015 00:09, JackA wrote:

Actually, I did that with the Toshiba Laptop (Win 8), advice from a coworker!
Yes, nice(r). But, that's what bothers me about M$, you can't have it YOUR way, only THEIRS.
I didn't notice this before, but Win 7, when you change file-names, it excludes the extension!
And, I can't stand Win Explorer, it sees some music files, then alters its environment, like I need M$ telling me who the artists are, and very bothered by graphic files it feel I need to organize music. Oh, and then you can ONLY put files where they allow you to! So stupid. Think I'll join Randy and try Linux. Time to get off the brain-dead M$ wagon.

All the problems you list are easily cured by adjustments to Windows
settings and installing Classic Shell.

And while I know a lot of people like and use Linix as their main or
only OS, I have never managed to get it to work the way I want it to,
and a lot of stuff I need to use on a daily basis can't be persuaded to
work under Linux, no matter how much its supporters claim how easy it
is. For instance, if I can't get my printer to work, it's because I've
chosen the wrong printer, not because it's a bad printing subsystem in
the OS.

However, Windows' latest "phone home" exploits by the writers of the OS
may force me to try yet again to get Linux to print and talk to another
computer without using sneakernet....

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil[_2_] Nil[_2_] is offline

On 15 Sep 2015, Randy Yates wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

It seems Win10 won't read them, and the legacy help program is not
installable under it.

Did MS just blow away 10-15 years of help files? I'm not too happy
with this.

The old help engine was eliminated as far back, I think, as Vist or
Win7. I believe it's still available for download from Microsoft, but
I'm not in a position right now to tell you where.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil[_2_] Nil[_2_] is offline

On 15 Sep 2015, JackA wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

And, I can't stand Win Explorer, it sees some music
files, then alters its environment, like I need M$ telling me who
the artists are, and very bothered by graphic files it feel I need
to organize music. Oh, and then you can ONLY put files where they
allow you to!

Total untrue hor**** lies and nonsense.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 16/09/2015 6:55 p.m., Nil wrote:
On 15 Sep 2015, Randy Yates wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

It seems Win10 won't read them, and the legacy help program is not
installable under it.

Did MS just blow away 10-15 years of help files? I'm not too happy
with this.

The old help engine was eliminated as far back, I think, as Vist or
Win7. I believe it's still available for download from Microsoft, but
I'm not in a position right now to tell you where.

He could find out himself with 30 seconds on Google.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 16/09/2015 07:58, Nil wrote:
On 15 Sep 2015, JackA wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

And, I can't stand Win Explorer, it sees some music
files, then alters its environment, like I need M$ telling me who
the artists are, and very bothered by graphic files it feel I need
to organize music. Oh, and then you can ONLY put files where they
allow you to!

Total untrue hor**** lies and nonsense.

Yes, but what else can you expect from the stupidest troll of all?

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 16/09/2015 10:24, geoff wrote:
On 16/09/2015 6:55 p.m., Nil wrote:
On 15 Sep 2015, Randy Yates wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

It seems Win10 won't read them, and the legacy help program is not
installable under it.

Did MS just blow away 10-15 years of help files? I'm not too happy
with this.

The old help engine was eliminated as far back, I think, as Vist or
Win7. I believe it's still available for download from Microsoft, but
I'm not in a position right now to tell you where.

He could find out himself with 30 seconds on Google.

Winhlp32 is reported not to install under anything later than Windows 7.
It will not run under Windows 8.1, so I assume it won't install under
Windows 10 either. There is, however, a link to a third party viewer for
..hlp and .chm files upthread, and the program even works under Linux.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

"John Williamson" wrote in message
On 16/09/2015 07:58, Nil wrote:
On 15 Sep 2015, JackA wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

jack off

Total untrue hor**** lies and nonsense.

Yes, but what else can you expect from the stupidest troll of all?

.... whose bait you keep taking, as a willing accomplice to his
trolling.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Randy Yates[_2_] Randy Yates[_2_] is offline

Frank Stearns writes:

Randy Yates writes:

JackA writes:
[...]
Not sure why many quickly jump on the new OS bandwagon. I'd first see
if it has any benefits for me.

Don't accuse ME of this. I haven't purchased an operating system in
about 10 years. I was FORCED to buy Win10 by a) the unavailability of
tools I need for work in linux (namely, the PE Micro debugger for the
Freescale Coldfire using a PE Micro USB Multilink BDM), and b) the
complete breakdown of my old WinXP system due to forced obsolescence.

I'm a linux dude. I haven't used a Windows OS as my main (non-virtual)
machine since 2006.

I still occasionally grieve for my Sparc 420... Hell, even a VT100 talking to a Vax
was nice... I even talked one client into putting two VT100s on my desk so that I
could have 4 logins on each. Got in BIG trouble though when I started running
multiple TeX jobs.

VT100? VAX? TeX? All in one post? Frank, you've wooed me. I'm yours, darling.
--
Randy Yates
Digital Signal Labs
http://www.digitalsignallabs.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Nil writes:

On 15 Sep 2015, Randy Yates wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

It seems Win10 won't read them, and the legacy help program is not
installable under it.

Did MS just blow away 10-15 years of help files? I'm not too happy
with this.

The old help engine was eliminated as far back, I think, as Vist or
Win7. I believe it's still available for download from Microsoft, but
I'm not in a position right now to tell you where.

Nil,

You mean this? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/917607

It won't install under Win10, at least I can't get it to.
--
Randy Yates
Digital Signal Labs
http://www.digitalsignallabs.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Randy Yates[_2_] Randy Yates[_2_] is offline

John Williamson writes:
[...]
However, Windows' latest "phone home" exploits by the writers of the
OS may force me to try yet again to get Linux to print and talk to
another computer without using sneakernet....

"Talk" to another computer? Linux been doing that since..., the
beginning ala ftp/ssh/scp. It speaks Samba fairly easily now (I
have my linux /home directory shared to Win10).

Printing hasn't always been as good, but in this day it is. There seem
to be lots of drivers, printer sharing works, etc.

I suggest you try the KDE desktop if you have a reasonably decent system
and video card.
--
Randy Yates
Digital Signal Labs
http://www.digitalsignallabs.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Mat Nieuwenhoven" writes:

On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 17:57:55 -0400, Randy Yates wrote:

JackA writes:
[...]
Not sure why many quickly jump on the new OS bandwagon. I'd first see
if it has any benefits for me.

Don't accuse ME of this. I haven't purchased an operating system in
about 10 years. I was FORCED to buy Win10 by a) the unavailability of
tools I need for work in linux (namely, the PE Micro debugger for the
Freescale Coldfire using a PE Micro USB Multilink BDM), and b) the
complete breakdown of my old WinXP system due to forced obsolescence.

Out of curiosity, it doesn't work under Linux+Wine?

That's a good idea, I'll try it. But I'm afraid the USB interface
isn't going to work. They utilize some licensed Panda drivers for
windows and I'm not sure the linux-wine usb driver interface is
up to the job.

I see on their ebsite they have at least some Linux stuff:
http://www.pemicro.com/getting_start...ebug/index.cfm

Yes, they do, but not these two tools (icdcfz and progcfg).
--
Randy Yates
Digital Signal Labs
http://www.digitalsignallabs.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Randy Yates writes:

"Mat Nieuwenhoven" writes:

On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 17:57:55 -0400, Randy Yates wrote:

JackA writes:
[...]
Not sure why many quickly jump on the new OS bandwagon. I'd first see
if it has any benefits for me.

Don't accuse ME of this. I haven't purchased an operating system in
about 10 years. I was FORCED to buy Win10 by a) the unavailability of
tools I need for work in linux (namely, the PE Micro debugger for the
Freescale Coldfire using a PE Micro USB Multilink BDM), and b) the
complete breakdown of my old WinXP system due to forced obsolescence.

Out of curiosity, it doesn't work under Linux+Wine?

That's a good idea, I'll try it. But I'm afraid the USB interface
isn't going to work. They utilize some licensed Panda drivers for
windows and I'm not sure the linux-wine usb driver interface is
up to the job.

PS: I also recently got a really bad "taste in my mouth" regarding Wine.
Spent about 2 hours trying to get GarminExpress to install. No joy. Took
about 15 minutes under Win10.
--
Randy Yates
Digital Signal Labs
http://www.digitalsignallabs.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at 6:37:07 AM UTC-4, John Williamson wrote:
On 16/09/2015 07:58, Nil wrote:
On 15 Sep 2015, JackA wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

And, I can't stand Win Explorer, it sees some music
files, then alters its environment, like I need M$ telling me who
the artists are, and very bothered by graphic files it feel I need
to organize music. Oh, and then you can ONLY put files where they
allow you to!

Total untrue hor**** lies and nonsense.

Yes, but what else can you expect from the stupidest troll of all?

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Look, in my next life, I'll request a Lower IQ to better mingle with you less unfortunates.

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Ranfy,
I'm following this thread but I don't understand the inital premis.

What does 10 to 15 years of help files mean?

Do you have personalized help files that you created that no longer work or ?????

I create personal help files as an ordinary .txt or .doc that are sdarchable and portable. If I stuggle with something for a while and finally get it to work, Ii will jot down a few notes about how to do it in my personal help files.

Mark

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

Randy Yates writes:

Frank Stearns writes:

snips

I'm a linux dude. I haven't used a Windows OS as my main (non-virtual)
machine since 2006.

I still occasionally grieve for my Sparc 420... Hell, even a VT100 talking to a Vax
was nice... I even talked one client into putting two VT100s on my desk so that I
could have 4 logins on each. Got in BIG trouble though when I started running
multiple TeX jobs.

VT100? VAX? TeX? All in one post? Frank, you've wooed me. I'm yours, darling.

Guffaw. Well, shucks. Are you cute? Rich? What if I told you I could drive an 029
keypunch, build a card deck, and run ForTran IV jobs on a 6-bit IBM mainframe? Or am
I exposing too much of an age gap? (Er, I was a precocious 3 year old?)

Frank
Mobile Audio
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Randy Yates[_2_] Randy Yates[_2_] is offline

Frank Stearns writes:

Randy Yates writes:

Frank Stearns writes:

snips

I'm a linux dude. I haven't used a Windows OS as my main (non-virtual)
machine since 2006.

I still occasionally grieve for my Sparc 420... Hell, even a VT100 talking to a Vax
was nice... I even talked one client into putting two VT100s on my desk so that I
could have 4 logins on each. Got in BIG trouble though when I started running
multiple TeX jobs.

VT100? VAX? TeX? All in one post? Frank, you've wooed me. I'm yours, darling.

Guffaw. Well, shucks. Are you cute? Rich?

Get off the leg, Frank. I meant in the "kindred technical spirits"
sense.

What if I told you I could drive an 029 keypunch, build a card deck,
and run ForTran IV jobs on a 6-bit IBM mainframe? Or am I exposing too
much of an age gap? (Er, I was a precocious 3 year old?)

That too, but some before my time. My Fortran class at DeVry/Atlanta
(circa 1977) was the last one to use punch cards and IBM timesharing.

We had a wonderful VAX cluster at GTE Government Systems when I was
there in the 80s. VMS is probably THE best OS I've ever used. And yes we
had VT100's all over the place, but my favorites were the green C.
Itoh's. I could code on those all day.
--
Randy Yates
Digital Signal Labs
http://www.digitalsignallabs.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at 5:25:08 AM UTC-4, geoff wrote:
On 16/09/2015 6:55 p.m., Nil wrote:
On 15 Sep 2015, Randy Yates wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

It seems Win10 won't read them, and the legacy help program is not
installable under it.

Did MS just blow away 10-15 years of help files? I'm not too happy
with this.

The old help engine was eliminated as far back, I think, as Vist or
Win7. I believe it's still available for download from Microsoft, but
I'm not in a position right now to tell you where.

He could find out himself with 30 seconds on Google.

Remember, Huggybear, I used to PROGRAM computers while you peeps only used them. And I'm not talking Frank's days of horse and buggy ForTran!!!

Stifle.

Jack

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at 1:48:52 PM UTC-4, Frank Stearns wrote:
Randy Yates writes:

Frank Stearns writes:

snips

I'm a linux dude. I haven't used a Windows OS as my main (non-virtual)
machine since 2006.

I still occasionally grieve for my Sparc 420... Hell, even a VT100 talking to a Vax
was nice... I even talked one client into putting two VT100s on my desk so that I
could have 4 logins on each. Got in BIG trouble though when I started running
multiple TeX jobs.

VT100? VAX? TeX? All in one post? Frank, you've wooed me. I'm yours, darling.

Guffaw. Well, shucks. Are you cute? Rich? What if I told you I could drive an 029
keypunch, build a card deck, and run ForTran IV jobs on a 6-bit IBM mainframe? Or am
I exposing too much of an age gap? (Er, I was a precocious 3 year old?)

Bloated code....

http://pureinfotech.com/2014/05/09/d...llation-media/

Jack

Frank
Mobile Audio
--
.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 9/16/2015 4:31 PM, Randy Yates wrote:
That too, but some before my time. My Fortran class at DeVry/Atlanta
(circa 1977) was the last one to use punch cards and IBM timesharing.

My Fortran 2 class was in 1966. Punch cards. I don't know how many bits
the IBM was. I think it was a 1620 if that's a number. The engineering
school's computer was the FLAC II (Florida Automatic Computer) that was
replaced at Cape Canaveral when they started doing space shots. The IBM
was in the registrar's office and they let us use that in the evenings.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 17/09/2015 8:44 a.m., JackA wrote:
Remember, Huggybear, I used to PROGRAM computers while you peeps only used them. And I'm not talking Frank's days of horse and buggy ForTran!!!

Stifle.

Jack

How about a character generator programed in 6800 machine code to
display on a CRO ?

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] garyv52@gmail.com is offline

On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 2:58:01 PM UTC-7, Randy Yates wrote:
JackA writes:
[...]
Not sure why many quickly jump on the new OS bandwagon. I'd first see
if it has any benefits for me.

Don't accuse ME of this. I haven't purchased an operating system in
about 10 years. I was FORCED to buy Win10 by a) the unavailability of
tools I need for work in linux (namely, the PE Micro debugger for the
Freescale Coldfire using a PE Micro USB Multilink BDM), and b) the
complete breakdown of my old WinXP system due to forced obsolescence.

I'm a linux dude. I haven't used a Windows OS as my main (non-virtual)
machine since 2006.
--
Randy Yates
Digital Signal Labs
http://www.digitalsignallabs.com

A bit off topic but I just saw this the other day:

http://harrisonconsoles.com/site/mixbus-sysreq.html

A commercial company offering a DAW for Windows,
Mac and Linux! I hope more do the same, but I won't
hold my breath.

Gary V
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at 7:40:19 AM UTC-4, None wrote:
"John Williamson" wrote in message
On 16/09/2015 07:58, Nil wrote:
On 15 Sep 2015, JackA wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

jack off

Total untrue hor**** lies and nonsense.

Yes, but what else can you expect from the stupidest troll of all?

... whose bait you keep taking, as a willing accomplice to his
trolling.

Registration: ... and do you have children of your own?
Parents: Yes, None.
Registration: ?????

Jack :-)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article , Mike Rivers wrote:
On 9/16/2015 4:31 PM, Randy Yates wrote:
That too, but some before my time. My Fortran class at DeVry/Atlanta
(circa 1977) was the last one to use punch cards and IBM timesharing.

My Fortran 2 class was in 1966. Punch cards. I don't know how many bits
the IBM was. I think it was a 1620 if that's a number. The engineering
school's computer was the FLAC II (Florida Automatic Computer) that was
replaced at Cape Canaveral when they started doing space shots. The IBM
was in the registrar's office and they let us use that in the evenings.

1620 was about that era, but it didn't have any bits. It was a BCD
machine, five decimal digits per word. IBM was very big on BCD hardware,
coming from the accounting world where money is kept in exact dollars and
cents, and of course it makes the numerical analysis of error bounds and
the like much easier for people who think in decimal.

My first machine was in-between yours, it was OS/360 without the timesharing
option. It had both BCD and binary arithmetic instructions, as well as
the kitchen sink and anything else the engineers at IBM could think of to
throw into the instruction set.