Raymond

Default Fans and heat experiment

Tommy wrote
I've run a little experiment to try to reduce the number of fans in my
computer in preparation for converting it to a DAW and would like some
opinions or comments on my findings. I bought a 'Fry's Special' case a
while back that has 4 intake fans in front, a outlet fan on the side, and
another outlet fan in back. Of course the PSU also has an outlet fan.
Having read
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...tech_docs/2379
4.pdf I was intrigued about whether I can turn off my 4 front fans. This
would certainly reduce noise, although I am concerned about the heat
build-up inside the case.

For a pro studio you want to start off by building the right environment for a
recording studio. What your asking is what to do about sound(s) you don't want
in your room(s). IMHO I don't think that going into any peice of equipment and
unhooking things is sutch a good idea.
The best thing to do is to isolate the bad sounds from the area your going to
be mixing, mastering, tracking and having open mics in. So if you have an
adjacent room (not in your recording studio) or closet, rout your wires and
cables to this room and place all the noise producing things in there so it
stays out of your recordings and ears.

David Grant

4 case fans is pretty excessive in my experience. I'm using a standard case,
P4 1.7 GHz, flower heatsink, no case fan, hard drive silencing enclosure,
large diameter - low rpm cpu fan.. CPU temperature stays under 45 C, and
case temperature is quite low (can't remember exactly what though). The
whole system is virtually silent.

However... I could have spent the same amount of money on a KVM extender
(allows you to put your tower quite a distance away from peripherals without
losing much signal quality) and not had to rummage around in my computer.
It's a matter of preference.

Cheers,

Dave

"Raymond" wrote in message
[...]

xy

i've never had a front fan, and never had a problem. i use amd all
the time. as long as you got a big ridiculous fan blowing right on
the athlon cpu, that's really the only fan you need other than the psu
fan, imo.

also, if you want to get really into it, look into "water cooling".
you can cool you cpu with a circulating water system, much like your
car radiator. definitely a big win for noise reduction, but i've
never done it personally.