Posted to rec.audio.pro
muzician21 muzician21 is offline

Default Does any gain control software like this exist?

Contemplating a previous thread on compression - is there software
that will instead of compressing, automatically lower volume levels -
say by setting a specific threshold and telling it - any peaks above
such and such level lower to X level or by X percentage. Maybe also
tell it to follow a certain envelope - i.e. follow a certain slope
contour up to the peak and a certain percentage back from the peak.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Neil Gould Neil Gould is offline

muzician21 wrote:
Contemplating a previous thread on compression - is there software
that will instead of compressing, automatically lower volume levels -
say by setting a specific threshold and telling it - any peaks above
such and such level lower to X level or by X percentage.

That *is* compression. The dynamic range is being reduced by adjusting the
relationship between peak and lower levels.

Maybe also
tell it to follow a certain envelope - i.e. follow a certain slope
contour up to the peak and a certain percentage back from the peak.

That is one of the consequences of compression.

--
best regards,

Neil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
muzician21 wrote:
Contemplating a previous thread on compression - is there software
that will instead of compressing, automatically lower volume levels -
say by setting a specific threshold and telling it - any peaks above
such and such level lower to X level or by X percentage. Maybe also
tell it to follow a certain envelope - i.e. follow a certain slope
contour up to the peak and a certain percentage back from the peak.

That's what a compressor does, it reduces levels of peaks, so you can
use gain afterward to bring the average levels up.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chip Borton Chip Borton is offline

On 5/27/2011 8:40 PM, muzician21 wrote:
Contemplating a previous thread on compression - is there software
that will instead of compressing, automatically lower volume levels -
say by setting a specific threshold and telling it - any peaks above
such and such level lower to X level or by X percentage. Maybe also
tell it to follow a certain envelope - i.e. follow a certain slope
contour up to the peak and a certain percentage back from the peak.

Waves Vocal Rider?
http://waves.com/Content.aspx?id=9945
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mark Mark is offline

On May 28, 1:46*pm, Chip Borton wrote:
On 5/27/2011 8:40 PM, muzician21 wrote:

Contemplating a previous thread on compression - is there software
that will instead of compressing, automatically lower volume levels -
say by setting a specific threshold and telling it - any peaks above
such and such level lower to X level or by X percentage.

N Track studio's compressor allows you to draw the in/out curve that
you want..

Mark

Posted to rec.audio.pro

muzician21 wrote:

Contemplating a previous thread on compression - is there software
that will instead of compressing, automatically lower volume levels -
say by setting a specific threshold and telling it - any peaks above
such and such level lower to X level or by X percentage. Maybe also
tell it to follow a certain envelope - i.e. follow a certain slope
contour up to the peak and a certain percentage back from the peak.

Dunno, but occasionally the conversations network levelator is incredibly
useful. Mostly I just hand draw the transfer curve I need in the inbuilt
compressor in Audition3.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
vdubreeze vdubreeze is offline

On May 28, 1:46*pm, Chip Borton wrote:
On 5/27/2011 8:40 PM, muzician21 wrote:

Contemplating a previous thread on compression - is there software
that will instead of compressing, automatically lower volume levels -
say by setting a specific threshold and telling it - any peaks above
such and such level lower to X level or by X percentage. Maybe also
tell it to follow a certain envelope - i.e. follow a certain slope
contour up to the peak and a certain percentage back from the peak.

Waves Vocal Rider?http://waves.com/Content.aspx?id=9945

Yep. The Vocal Rider is probably the closest to what the OP is
thinking about. Not a compressor but it allows you to automate levels
based on top and bottom thresholds of the track, or what I'm guessing
is any key. It's especially not like a compressor in that it doesn't
color the sound, it literally is like moving the fader up and down in
response to the key.

Also similar is Wave Rider from Quiet Arts.

Don't own it but watched it in use. And I gotta tell you, I found it
kind of annoying. Yet another way to lessen the feeling of a human in
the music, even if it were just the feeling of someone making level
judgements.

But for industrial/commercial/post etc usage it would seem to be very
useful. When I researched it a while ago it seemed the jury was not
entirely positive, but there were a lot of people who I think expected
it to do the whole big picture rather than just be one tool in a
chain. Some said it didn't save any time over automating it, others
said it doesn't respond equally well to all kinds of keys. *shrug*

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 6/8/2011 10:28 PM, vdubreeze wrote:
On May 28, 1:46 pm, Chip wrote:
On 5/27/2011 8:40 PM, muzician21 wrote:

Waves Vocal Rider?http://waves.com/Content.aspx?id=9945

Yep. The Vocal Rider is probably the closest to what the OP is
thinking about. Not a compressor but it allows you to automate levels

Well, I bought the vocal rider a while back and my initial
experience is that it can be a useful tool or a good way
to mess up too.

I am still in the learning curve of finding its sweet spot.
If you let it go crazy it will sound choppy or if you clamp
it down it doesn't do enough. I have only used it a couple
times so far. I think once you find a good setting for it
it should work good.

One thing I already found myself doing is letting it draw
the automation curve, then go in by hand and thin out and
adjust the volume curve it creates.

There is still no replacement for human ear and touch.