Why No Gain Control on Adcom Amp?

Old June 6th 18, 04:04 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Why No Gain Control on Adcom Amp?

> wrote:
>I guess the question to ask is, on Uncle Joe's
>1970 color Philco, is the volume located in the
>input stage, or the power amp side?

It's an attenuator between the FM discriminator tube and the power amp tube.

>Same for the volume on a stereo receiver in
>the home.

It's between the line preamp stage and the power amp stage.

Old June 7th 18, 02:20 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
None

Theckhhhmah gibbered ...

> My question concerns where to set the volume
> coming out of the boombox before setting input
> gain on the board. Quarter-way? Half- way up?

And then he made the ridiculous claim ...

> I also know how to gain stage

QED, DF.
Old August 17th 18, 06:29 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Tatonik

Scott Dorsey > wrote:

> Matt Faunce > wrote:
> >Why is there no gain control on the Adcom GFA-535?

> Because you didn't order it with that option. If you want the level
> control, you want the GFA-535L.

I have the GFA-535L. For me the level control wasn't convenient enough
to be worth it. The left and right channels are controlled separately.
Trying to match them every time you change the volume is a hassle. So
is using a dime or a screwdriver to turn them.

A lot of people make their own volume controls, but I don't have any
experience with that kind of thing, so I ended up getting one of these
passive attenuators:

https://www.tisburyaudio.co.uk/mini-...e-preamplifier

Lately I came across this volume control from Nelson Pass that is
buffered but has no gain. Sounds like a good idea, but I haven't had
the opportunity to try one:

http://www.firs****t.com/b1.html

https://www.passdiy.com/project/prea...-buffer-preamp

Old August 17th 18, 07:34 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers[_2_]

On 8/17/2018 1:29 PM, Tatonik wrote:
> I have the GFA-535L. For me the level control wasn't convenient enough
> to be worth it. The left and right channels are controlled separately.

> A lot of people make their own volume controls, but I don't have any
> experience with that kind of thing, so I ended up getting one of these
> passive attenuators:

> https://www.tisburyaudio.co.uk/mini-...e-preamplifier

That's pretty classy for a "pot-in-a-box" but the fact that they use
precision resistors for the gain steps means that they might have taken
care that each step of both channels has equal attenuation. Even a good
quality dual pot can have a variable difference of as much as 1 dB of
attenuation between channels over its range.

> Lately I came across this volume control from Nelson Pass that is
> buffered but has no gain. Sounds like a good idea, but I haven't had
> the opportunity to try one

Those Nelson Pass designs have separate level controls for the left and
right channels, something that you decided against when you bought the
amplifier without them. You really don't need the buffer unless you're
feeding it from a tube preamp with a high impedance output.

: