Best XLRs ?

Old June 4th 18, 02:53 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Best XLRs ?

geoff > wrote:

>OK, just ordered 20 each M and F Switchcraft 'A' series. I assume nobody
>was talking about the 'quick' series ones ! Less than US$3 each at B&H.

In the US, the cheapest prices are usually through Markertek. B&H doesn't
sound bad, though. Switchcraft gives huge discounts to some of these folks,
while companies like Digi-Key that sell list have much higher prices.

>Yes, the odd Switchcraft I have had in the past has always requires a
>drip of Loctite .
>
>90° XLRs sadly a 'can of worms' and added complication, given differing
>obstructions L and/or R on different monitor panels. And only lower the
>damage fulcrum (potentially more to the socket) by 50%ish anyway.

It's true. But they can be a benefit if you're careful.
Old June 4th 18, 10:24 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 5/06/2018 12:50 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
>>> Also the boot materials decayed.

> On 6/4/2018 4:56 AM, Trevor wrote:
>> But not as quickly with canon as the cheap imitations.

> I know we're not talking about Neutrik XLRs here, but I've, on occasion,
> over-tightened the "collet chuck" when trying to clamp a smaller
> diameter cable than they're apparently designed for, broken the plastic,
> and then the connector becomes useless. I never remember to ask if they
> sell replacements for that part. I should. I save the pieces, but
> usually that's the only part that breaks.

Neutik, Proel, Tasker - all the same sort of problem. The rubbery type
either just pull out (often fixable) or split/tear (not fixable), while
the harder plastic ones split/fracture.

Yes I've wondered if the rear caps are available separately, but have
never seen any suggestion anywhere that the are for any brand ...

Old June 5th 18, 01:55 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil Allison[_4_]

geoff wrote:

> OK, just ordered 20 each M and F Switchcraft 'A' series. I assume nobody
> was talking about the 'quick' series ones ! Less than US$3 each at B&H.
>
> Yes, the odd Switchcraft I have had in the past has always requires a
> drip of Loctite .

** FYI:

This may be so for the two grub screws that compress the metal cable clamp - but the screw that holds the insert (in both versions) is reverse threaded and captured in the stainless steel housing.

.... Phil
Old June 5th 18, 04:36 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor

On 4/06/2018 10:50 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
> I know we're not talking about Neutrik XLRs here, but I've, on occasion,
> over-tightened the "collet chuck" when trying to clamp a smaller
> diameter cable than they're apparently designed for, broken the plastic,
> and then the connector becomes useless. I never remember to ask if they
> sell replacements for that part. I should. I save the pieces, but
> usually that's the only part that breaks.

Yep, hate those. But not only are they available here, but in various
colors, which is great for cable identification. Just a PITA replacing them.

Trevor.

Old June 8th 18, 03:23 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

On Monday, June 4, 2018 at 8:50:58 AM UTC-4, Mike Rivers (that's me) wrote:

> I know we're not talking about Neutrik XLRs here, but I've, on occasion,
> over-tightened the "collet chuck" when trying to clamp a smaller
> diameter cable than they're apparently designed for, broken the plastic,
> and then the connector becomes useless. I never remember to ask if they
> sell replacements for that part. I should. I save the pieces, but
> usually that's the only part that breaks.

I remembered this discussion and stopped by the Neutrik booth at the Infocomm show this afternoon, asking if it was possible to buy the plastic clamp parts individually. They told me that some parts were available and that they only distribute them through Mouser Electronics.

I made an attempt to look them up on mouser.com but there were too many things to sort out. But if you need them, it's probably worth a phone call and let them dig the parts out of the 694 listings for Neutrik XLR.
Old June 9th 18, 01:39 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Les Cargill[_4_]

geoff wrote:
> Having a spate of XLRs with their rubber or plastic 'boot'
> strain-reliefs getting either simply pulled out of the shell, or worse
> ripped, split, whatever , but mostly irreparably damaged.
>
> Short of dumping my clumsy client-base, any suggestions of the best (and
> hopefully affordable) brand/model XLRs that can survive stage-use ?
>
> I think the worst use is on stage monitors where monitors get moved or
> cables tripped on...
>
> geoff

I don't use much besides premade XLRs outside of the house any more,
but I kind of like the Neutrik NC-FXX style. If it's not enough strain
relief, add shrink tubing.

--
Les Cargill
Old June 9th 18, 02:59 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 9/06/2018 12:39 PM, Les Cargill wrote:
> geoff wrote:
>> Having a spate of XLRs with their rubber or plastic 'boot'
>> strain-reliefs getting either simply pulled out of the shell, or worse
>> ripped, split, whatever , but mostly irreparably damaged.
>>
>> Short of dumping my clumsy client-base, any suggestions of the best
>> (and hopefully affordable) brand/model XLRs that can survive stage-use ?
>>
>> I think the worst use is on stage monitors where monitors get moved or
>> cables tripped on...
>>
>> geoff

> I don't use much besides premade XLRs outside of the house any more,
> but I kind of like the Neutrik NC-FXX style. If it's not enough strain
> relief, add shrink tubing.

Yeah have some of those. It's not a case of "not enough strain-relief,
but of that existing strain-relief snapping off !

Some judicious heat-shrink might help, but I am hoping for something
that just survives the rigours natively.