cassette conversion

Old June 4th 18, 11:18 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Bill[_20_]

Default cassette conversion

In message >, Scott Dorsey
> writes
>God, I hated cassettes.

Yes, and I'm perhaps in the same position as the OP. I have a bunch of
cassettes made of live shows. I used them to listen in the car to get a
feel for structure and problem areas before editing the master tapes for
broadcast.

I should be ashamed to admit that, when I saw a cassette to usb
converter in the local Aldi supermarket's remainder area for just under
5 UK pounds, I invested in it.

It's "good enough" and a very handy way of doing it. In my case, I dump
the audio into Audition, lay down the odd marker, and either store it or
put it onto something that will play in the car now.

I just couldn't be bothered fiddling with azimuth etc. for ultimate, but
still mediocre, quality.
--
Bill
Old June 4th 18, 12:09 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 4/06/2018 10:18 PM, Bill wrote:
> In message >, Scott Dorsey
> > writes
>> God, I hated cassettes.

> Yes, and I'm perhaps in the same position as the OP. I have a bunch of
> cassettes made of live shows. I used them to listen in the car to get a
> feel for structure and problem areas before editing the master tapes for
> broadcast.
>
> I should be ashamed to admit that, when I saw a cassette to usb
> converter in the local Aldi supermarket's remainder area for just under
> 5 UK pounds, I invested in it.
>
> It's "good enough" and a very handy way of doing it. In my case, I dump
> the audio into Audition, lay down the odd marker, and either store it or
> put it onto something that will play in the car now.
>
> I just couldn't be bothered fiddling with azimuth etc. for ultimate, but
> still mediocre, quality.

You can easily do some coarse EQ to maybe improve things, with little
effort. WFT. Good enough for purpose !

cheers

Old June 4th 18, 02:51 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

Nil > wrote:
>On 03 Jun 2018, (Scott Dorsey) wrote in
>rec.audio.pro:
>
>> Playing cassettes cleanly is actually a bit of a pain in the neck,
>> due to azimuth stability problems. You can buy a Nak Dragon and
>> spend a lot of money, but it'll let you be able to do unattended
>> transfers without having to worry about azimuth error. (You'll
>> still have to worry about getting Dolby levels right, though).
>> For less money you can get a Tascam 122, spend some money to get
>> new belts on it and add an extender to make the azimuth screw more
>> accessible.

>What is this "extender" of which you speak? I have a Tascam 302, which
>I guess is more-or-less a double-well version of the 122. I adjust the
>azimuth with a small screwdriver, but a tape in there it's difficult to
>see to find the screw.

Little piece of stainless steel that replaces the screw and gives you a
little knurled knob that you can turn. It doesn't wear out after a short
while the way the original screw threads will wear out if you constantly
change the setting.

Tape Warehouse used to sell them for the 122 back in the eighties, I am
sure there are plenty out there.