Stereo-izing a Mono Signal

Old June 1st 18, 02:53 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Les Cargill[_4_]

Default Stereo-izing a Mono Signal

Sean B wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 30, 2018 at 2:35:15 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>> On Wednesday, May 30, 2018 at 3:31:36 PM UTC-4, Sean B wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Any votes as to what is the best sounding technique for getting a mono signal to have some width, if the event was not recorded in stereo? The Eventide H910? Plugins?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Sean B

>> what is the nature of the content?

> I was thinking of isolated signals on a multitrack: vocals, guitars, etc.

Just leave them mono.

You can play games with delays within the Haas limit but it reduces the
overall power of the part and eats bandwidth.

I wrote a program that takes a mono .wav file and performs a
Hilbert transform on it. That gives out a constant 90 degree
phase shift in the right channel, relative to the left channel
( the output is 2 channels ).

I wouldn't use it on anything I cared about. It's kind of interesting,
but a mono track really works better.

--
Les Cargill