Polk Audio - Opinions?

Old May 26th 18, 10:32 AM posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default Polk Audio - Opinions?

On Tuesday, October 17, 2000 at 11:00:00 AM UTC+4, Todd Newman wrote:
> A few years back, I was selling mid-range audio gear (Yamaha
> receivers, Infinity speakers, Bose (yuck!) ; our best system was a
> Yamaha DSPA-3090 with Kappa 8's which ran for about $4500)
>
> The place I was working for (no longer in business) picked up Polk
> Audio and I remember the training for it. You'd think they were the
> best speakers ever built based on what I heard. There was no question
> that they were better than what we carried, and I really was impressed
> with their sound quality. I did some independent "research" (read a
> few A/V mags) and got some reviews. The general consensus of what I
> could find was that the RT-16 was the best tower speaker you could buy
> for less than $1000 a pair (Retailed for $999 a pair). Several years
> later, I was able to buy a pair of them for about half that, and I
> have since built an entire home theater around Polk's trilaminate
> tweeter.
>
> I'm pleased with the system (I power it with a Yamaha RX-V992), but I
> am left with the nagging question... Are Polk's "high-end" or are they
> just good for the money? I know that if I enjoy it, that's all that
> counts, but part of enjoying the system is the pride you get out of
> knowing that your system is soo much better than those crappy Bose
> systems everyone thinks is so great.
>
> I know Polk isn't PDS or Definitive Technologies, but where do they
> really fall?
>
> I would love a spirited debate with some input from both sides, but
> will gladly settle for any opinions at all.
>
> Thanks
>
> Todd

Don't ever buy Polk, the wireless and bluetooth connectivity is terrible. Look online in the forums and many other users have had similar problems. Really regretting buying mine...
Old May 29th 18, 10:48 AM posted to rec.audio.high-end
~misfit~[_3_]

Once upon a time on usenet wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 17, 2000 at 11:00:00 AM UTC+4, Todd Newman wrote:
>> A few years back, I was selling mid-range audio gear (Yamaha
>> receivers, Infinity speakers, Bose (yuck!) ; our best system was a
>> Yamaha DSPA-3090 with Kappa 8's which ran for about $4500)
>>
>> The place I was working for (no longer in business) picked up Polk
>> Audio and I remember the training for it. You'd think they were the
>> best speakers ever built based on what I heard. There was no
>> question that they were better than what we carried, and I really
>> was impressed with their sound quality. I did some independent
>> "research" (read a few A/V mags) and got some reviews. The general
>> consensus of what I could find was that the RT-16 was the best tower
>> speaker you could buy for less than $1000 a pair (Retailed for $999
>> a pair). Several years later, I was able to buy a pair of them for
>> about half that, and I have since built an entire home theater
>> around Polk's trilaminate tweeter.
>>
>> I'm pleased with the system (I power it with a Yamaha RX-V992), but I
>> am left with the nagging question... Are Polk's "high-end" or are
>> they just good for the money? I know that if I enjoy it, that's all
>> that counts, but part of enjoying the system is the pride you get
>> out of knowing that your system is soo much better than those crappy
>> Bose systems everyone thinks is so great.
>>
>> I know Polk isn't PDS or Definitive Technologies, but where do they
>> really fall?
>>
>> I would love a spirited debate with some input from both sides, but
>> will gladly settle for any opinions at all.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Todd

> Don't ever buy Polk, the wireless and bluetooth connectivity is
> terrible. Look online in the forums and many other users have had
> similar problems. Really regretting buying mine...

As you are replying to a post sent in October 2000 I very much doubt that
the items in question were ever fitted with wireless or bluetooth tech.

Yet another googlegropes necropost.
--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Old May 29th 18, 02:43 PM posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Wieck[_2_]

Even going back to 2000, Polk Audio was one very, very shallow step above Bose. What they are or are not doing today - I have no clue.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old May 30th 18, 03:14 PM posted to rec.audio.high-end
~misfit~[_3_]

Once upon a time on usenet Peter Wieck wrote:
> Even going back to 2000, Polk Audio was one very, very shallow step
> above Bose. What they are or are not doing today - I have no clue.
>
> Peter Wieck
> Melrose Park, PA

I've only heard a few Polk speakers and they haven't impressed me aurally.
Some of them looked pretty though...

Polk Audio Vs. MTX oatmeal Car Audio 3 November 10th 07 03:21 PM
Polk Audio Vs. MTX oatmeal Car Audio 1 November 8th 07 05:26 AM
WTB: Polk MW6500 6.5" woofer for Polk Audio Monitor 7 Badassie Marketplace 0 November 25th 06 11:06 AM
FS Polk Audio SDA 2 Larry Marketplace 1 December 27th 04 03:23 PM
Polk LSi 15's, opinions? Robert Morein Audio Opinions 0 November 28th 04 11:17 AM