Mr. Bigstuff

Default Capicitor question

I have a cap block that has been unhooked from the power source a few times
lately when my alternator went bad. It sat like that for a few days. Do I
need to charge that cap back up again? It didnt seem to be keeping my lights
from dimming anymore.

Kevin McMurtrie

In article , "Mr. Bigstuff" sd!
wrote:

I have a cap block that has been unhooked from the power source a few times
lately when my alternator went bad. It sat like that for a few days. Do I
need to charge that cap back up again? It didnt seem to be keeping my lights
from dimming anymore.

You should charge it before use. Electrolytic capacitors self-discharge
to some degree. It's caused by the aluminum oxide dielectric breaking
and then healing by electrolytic oxidation. Connecting a dead capacitor
directly to a car battery could be more excitement that you're looking
for.
Mr. Bigstuff

hrrm its only 10f : )
"Kevin McMurtrie" wrote in message
In article , "Mr. Bigstuff" sd!
wrote:

I have a cap block that has been unhooked from the power source a few
times
lately when my alternator went bad. It sat like that for a few days. Do I
need to charge that cap back up again? It didnt seem to be keeping my
lights
from dimming anymore.

You should charge it before use. Electrolytic capacitors self-discharge
to some degree. It's caused by the aluminum oxide dielectric breaking
and then healing by electrolytic oxidation. Connecting a dead capacitor
directly to a car battery could be more excitement that you're looking
for.

Kirby

10f? eep.. i would try to discharge it fully, then charge it up again.
Safest way to go.. Just make sure that you dont screw it up.. im still
scared of screwing one of those things up

wrote:

I have a cap block that has been unhooked from the power source a few
times
lately when my alternator went bad. It sat like that for a few days. Do

need to charge that cap back up again? It didnt seem to be keeping my
lights
from dimming anymore.

You should charge it before use. Electrolytic capacitors self-discharge
to some degree. It's caused by the aluminum oxide dielectric breaking
and then healing by electrolytic oxidation. Connecting a dead capacitor
directly to a car battery could be more excitement that you're looking
for.

Les

"Scott Johnson" wrote in
message ...
10f ! Geeez. Be careful!

Although I am sure that there is 10f capacitors out there I just can't shake
the thought that it may not be 10 but rather 1.0, some manufactures may just
make the . a little small.

Les

Bruce Chang

"Kirby" wrote in message
10f? eep.. i would try to discharge it fully, then charge it up again.
Safest way to go.. Just make sure that you dont screw it up.. im still
scared of screwing one of those things up

What's your point in discharging it fully? Just for storage sake? I can't
see why else you'd want to discharge a capacitor.

-Bruce

Kevin McMurtrie

In article , "Les"
wrote:

"Scott Johnson" wrote in
message ...
10f ! Geeez. Be careful!

Although I am sure that there is 10f capacitors out there I just can't shake
the thought that it may not be 10 but rather 1.0, some manufactures may just
make the . a little small.

Les

It's a different type of capacitor. Aluminum electrolytic capacitors
are two dimensional capacitors rolled up. Carbon aerogel capacitors are
three dimensional capacitors. That's where their enormous storage comes
from.

Scott Johnson

interesting:

For example, an Aerogel Capacitor the size of a "AA" alkaline battery can
deliver up to 35 Amperes of peak current.

off a website. This is why one must be careful with big caps. If you have
one that can deliver 100-200 amps instant current, you can blow a hole in
steel!