jiffy

Default Amp Install Help Needed - GM RAP System + Remote Turn On Wiring

For what it's worth, I have an '03 Alero (which is on the same platform
as a Grand AM).

Ok, I am going to be setting my amp up this week, but I may have run
into a problem. My plan was to run a 4ch amp, 2 ch to the front
speakers and a bridged to the sub.

Anyone familiar with late model GM stuff knows about RAP (retained
accessory power) and the chimes that are built in through the radio.

Basically, when you shut your car off, things like your radio stay on
until you open the driver door. Also, if you leave your headlights on,
the chime for it runs through the radio to the driver door speaker.

So, if my amp is wired to something that is OFF when the car is off,
then the amp is also off, and no headlight chime will make it though.

I was thinking about running the remote turn on to the factory HU power
wire, but I don't know if I should do that.

Really, I'm looking for someone who has some experience hooking up an
amp to a factory GM headunit with RAP to jump in and give me a clue as
to what I should do.

--
jiffy
jiffy's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=33416

joe.ker

There is no remote wire behind the head unit. it uses a data wire the tell
the head unit when the ignition is on.
If your that concerned about having the chimes, put a small speaker on the
head unit LF speaker output. Since you will be hooking the Door speaker up
to the amp and disconnecting that speaker from the head unit

news:1112577087.1f41d1a0f1e658bafa80d143873cefe5@t eranews...